Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I never mentioned abortion, so now that THAT LIE is out of the way, I'm gonna correct your post

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/07/us...cuts.html?_r=0

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...nciliation.pdf

Or any of the other programs the poster mentioned. All lies.
[/quote]

Read the first line of your first post. You mention abortion. Now that we cleared up one of your lies:

None of the links say anything about an actual conservative making a real cut to these programs.

And you act as if these programs work in the first place. Hell, the best thing we could do is get rid of them altogether. Total waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Conservatives simply demand that parents proudly stand on their own two feet and pay for the needs of their children without having to run for help from the government.

I know how literally true your point is. One time in Oklahoma, a bill tried to be passed that would allow a women, who didn't want her newborn baby, to turn it over to someone else for care without questions being asked. It was helped this would reduce the likelihood of the woman throwing her just born infant in the dumpster. But a conservative Republican opposed the bill, because it would allow women to get away with the crime of child abandonment.
We have exactly that kind of law in Texas, but unfortunately, babies still get abandoned or thrown in the trash. I cannot understand the desperation required to do something like that, when we are allowed to take a newborn to a hospital or fire station with no questions asked. Fire stations are near virtually every neighborhood. Sad!

Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Do you live in the same country I do?

I don't view human life as overhead. I also do not view a fetus as a child. And you'd be surprised to find out how many children around the world end up in dumpsters or on doorsteps of strangers because of the inability to financially care for a child a woman was forced to carry to term and deliver.

The correct assessment is - "Every child has a right to life, but every child is expensive. So I think they should be born, but I don't think my tax dollars should help take care of it if necessary" - And then people wonder why you have issues like extreme gang violence in cities, huge numbers of Americans that don't complete high school, and a cycle for poverty in general all because these women were forced to carry to term and repeat the cycle of poverty and the entire issue in the first place.

I understand that women who can't afford children should not have unprotected sex in the first place. But there are a lot of things that shouldn't happen that do, and nothing will change that.
You keep saying abortion should be legal because kids cost too much money. Seems like you view them as overhead to me.

How many kids in the United States end up in dumpsters every year? lols. If you outlaw abortion those same kids will end up there anyway so your argument is kinda silly.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 PM

674 posts, read 1,056,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I sort of went along with the above combined with a wishy-washy, yeah it's her body her choice attitude but the Kermit Gosnell trial changed everything about abortion for me. There is something so dehumanizing and souless about abortion that IMO it touches everyone who practices abortion and everyone who works for an abortionist. You are ending the life of a human being, it's as simple as that. I suspect one day historians will look back on groups like Planned Parenthood and compare them to the Nazi death camps and wonder how did we ever let ourselves buy into killing our own children.
In your opinion, exactly. The world still goes to bed at night and many people involved with decision making and conducting abortions still wake up from those same nights, and continue to live their normal lives without a second thought and without feeling "souless".

Abortion has been conducted since humanity entered this world and it will continue to happen regardless of legality.

Comparing death camps to abortion though, that's asinine. There's something about torture, and splitting up families, mass graves, mass murder of something that's experienced this world based on random profiling that I don't think applies to a woman who privately elects to terminate her pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You keep saying abortion should be legal because kids cost too much money. Seems like you view them as overhead to me.

How many kids in the United States end up in dumpsters every year? lols. If you outlaw abortion those same kids will end up there anyway so your argument is kinda silly.
I said some women have abortions because children are expensive. That's true. Does not equate with me viewing children as overhead.

And exactly, if you outlaw abortion those same kids will end up there anyways! So your argument in favor of ending abortion is entirely silly.

Let's allow a full term child to be discarded as trash vs. prevent a massing of cells from ever becoming a functioning human being. Ridiculous logic.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Nice way to view a human life: pure overhead. If it costs too much then kill it. That is compassion.

And how many kids end up in dumpsters???? lols. Puhleaze.

Conservatives have made no serious effort to end abortion. Or school lunch programs. Or any of the other programs the poster mentioned. All lies.
Evidently, quite a few.

A survey of newspaper reports conducted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in 1998 found that 105 babies were abandoned in public places, 33 of which were found dead. This number underestimates the incidence of American infanticide because it only counts those deaths that were covered by the media.
Strategy: Establishing Safe Drop-off Points for Abandoned Newborns — National Crime Prevention Council

Old 07-02-2013, 05:05 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Which is exactly why abortion should remain accessible to low income women. Because it's never going to change in the way modern America functions.

What part of it is a lie?

Low income women without access to abortions produce children, who cost a lot of money. Who rely on support of the government or end up in a dumpster. It's as simple as that.
I agree that low-income women having unwanted children are going to rely on support of the government, but maybe that's because it's so very easy to get support of the government. What happened in the days before legal abortions? Parents got married! Now there is no need for the father to marry the mother, which is creating a whole host of other problems. I'm not saying we should end welfare, just that the consequences of welfare are out there for all to see - 29 percent of white children are born to unmarried women, 53 percent of Latinos and 73 percent of black children.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, true, I don't know of any conservatives, unless I missed a statement stating or agreeing to such, who want to pass a bill that would require all pregnant women to give birth, or else, face serious punishment. But then I bet they wouldn't fight against such a bill, if actually proposed.
Republicans have brought up bills to outlaw abortions in Congress 3 times since Roe v. Wade. All 3 times enough Republicans voted against it to kill it.

Republicans don't want to outlaw abortion. They say they do to get votes. I have no idea why liberals think Conservatives want to outlaw abortion.

After all, Conservatives have teenage daughters and granddaughters too.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Evidently, quite a few.

A survey of newspaper reports conducted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in 1998 found that 105 babies were abandoned in public places, 33 of which were found dead. This number underestimates the incidence of American infanticide because it only counts those deaths that were covered by the media.
Strategy: Establishing Safe Drop-off Points for Abandoned Newborns — National Crime Prevention Council

33 dead out of how many millions born? What a freakin' epidemic.

Why should you care anyway? It's just a late term abortion. Those kids were cost a lot of money to raise up.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM

674 posts, read 1,056,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Low income women should not be having sex.

Problem solved.
Neither should stupid people. WOOPS! Guess you can't regulate freedom though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I agree that low-income women having unwanted children are going to rely on support of the government, but maybe that's because it's so very easy to get support of the government. What happened in the days before legal abortions? Parents got married! Now there is no need for the father to marry the mother, which is creating a whole host of other problems. I'm not saying we should end welfare, just that the consequences of welfare are out there for all to see - 29 percent of white children are born to unmarried women, 53 percent of Latinos and 73 percent of black children.
Unfortunately, you can't force marriage due to pregnancy. So, what option besides abortion is there to fix that problem and the problem of relying on the government to support your child? - Which I do not agree with, but fact is fact whether I agree or approve same with everyone else. It's a shame, truly. But what other option is there aside from crowded foster homes full of unloved children.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:

Read the first line of your first post. You mention abortion. Now that we cleared up one of your lies:
Yes. Re-read my first lines. Where am I bringing up abortion or that Republicans are trying to end it? Exactly.

Quote:
None of the links say anything about an actual conservative making a real cut to these programs.
So proposing a bill that makes cuts to a program is not really making real cuts to those programs? So what happens when the bill is passed? If you're going to try to defend this ridiculous point, you're going to show a real disconnect from reality.

Last edited by EddieB.Good; 07-02-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies