Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think we all realize that Z is not guilty and will never kill again.
"We" who, exactly? Got a mouse in your pocket? George has never been held accountable for his aggressive behavior, and he doesn't think he will be now, either.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
Yeah for the 10 seconds that Good witnessed.
And since we weren't there it may have been a lot longer. The state has shown no evidence otherwise.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
So you're saying the two writers who wrote that article just made up quotes from Martin's teachers, etc.? Quotes like:

"Trayvon was not a violent or dangerous child. He was not known for misbehaving," Michelle Kypriss said. "He was suspended because he was late too many times."

"His uncle said Trayvon was still a typical kid who loved sports, music and was just feeling the first flush of youth. 'He was trying to start driving. He was just finding out about girls.'"

His teacher "described Trayvon, a junior, as an A and B student who majored in cheerfulness."

Trayvon Martin Shooting: Tensions rise in wake of Trayvon Martin shooting - Orlando Sentinel
Multiple news reports indicate that he was suspended for vandalizing school property (writing WTF on lockers IIRC in a restricted area). They reported he was suspended another time for possession of stolen property (as verified by the police report that finally surfaced, a house a mile from the school. What excuses are dreamed up for a 17 y/o male to have a backpack full of stolen women's jewelry?). And a third IIRC with for a baggie with pot. No other source has reported that he was suspended for being late. But I suppose missing 53 days of school (not sure if that included the suspensions) would be grounds for suspension. This report also ignores the fact that her mother made him go live with his father over his latest suspensions.

I find the article you linked, from over a year ago, taken just from comments of friends and family...to be highly biased and questionable.

Don't get me wrong, the whole case is a tragedy. One young man is dead, another's life is ruined. Both had made poor or at best questionable choices in their lives. Neither was an angel, neither was a villain. One had put a lot of effort into helping his community, working with local police to reduce crime and make his neighborhood a better place. One, on his way back from the store. Both deserved to be able to end the night alive. Both had the right to walk down the same public path that night. Both had the right not to be assaulted. And both had the same right to defend themselves from someone that initiated physical violence. I think we can all agree on that.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
No, activists came to the aid of a murdered teenager's parents when they reached out for help because they felt as if they were being ignored. If they had called you, would you and yours have rallied around them in support?
They didn't have to call... They were right up the street, and no I didn't support them because what I felt was a justified self defense shooting.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
They didn't have to call... They were right up the street, and no I didn't support them because what I felt was a justified self defense shooting.
A provoking creep has waived his self-defense rights.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Multiple news reports indicate that he was suspended for vandalizing school property (writing WTF on lockers IIRC in a restricted area). They reported he was suspended another time for possession of stolen property (as verified by the police report that finally surfaced, a house a mile from the school. What excuses are dreamed up for a 17 y/o male to have a backpack full of stolen women's jewelry?). And a third IIRC with for a baggie with pot. No other source has reported that he was suspended for being late. But I suppose missing 53 days of school (not sure if that included the suspensions) would be grounds for suspension. This report also ignores the fact that her mother made him go live with his father over his latest suspensions.

I find the article you linked, from over a year ago, taken just from comments of friends and family...to be highly biased and questionable.

Don't get me wrong, the whole case is a tragedy. One young man is dead, another's life is ruined. Both had made poor or at best questionable choices in their lives. Neither was an angel, neither was a villain. One had put a lot of effort into helping his community, working with local police to reduce crime and make his neighborhood a better place. One, on his way back from the store. Both deserved to be able to end the night alive. Both had the right to walk down the same public path that night. Both had the right not to be assaulted. And both had the same right to defend themselves from someone that initiated physical violence. I think we can all agree on that.
Yet, NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO POST A SINGLE REPUTABLE LINK SHOWING HE'D MISSED 53 DAYS OF SCHOOL, nor over what period of time, 3 years, 1 year? You guys don't have your facts down.

What would you prefer? --- comments from people who didn't know Trayvon? People like you or other posters on here who maintain he was a thug despite all the contrary facts? Friends, family, school teachers, school administrators, people who knew him --their comments just don't count? That's absurd.

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Zimmerman announced himself as a creep wanting to do Trayvon harm.

Trayvon articulated back, you picked the wrong guy, creep!
You keep spinning tall tales.... you should be a Sci Fi writer.

3,846 posts, read 2,386,280 times
Quote:
And both had the same right to defend themselves from someone that initiated physical violence. I think we can all agree on that.
One prejudged.

The other judged per the situation made by the prejudger.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Really? Even now when the trial is coming to a close, there are unanswered question being posed by many, but you just FELT from the start that the shooting of their son was justified. They were being brushed off and no parent should feel that any stone goes unturned to answer questions they had about the night their son was murdered. It as zero to do with taking sides, it had to do with justice being served by a THOROUGH investigation as opposed to one that was slipshod.

So, to get back to the topic of this post...Sharpton was able to help these heartbroken parents and admittedly you would/could not. Now do you see why they contacted Rev. Al as opposed to someone like you? Good on them!

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-10-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:

No, the truth is that Trayvon Martin's right to walk to the store and back home at 7pm was taken away (along with his life) solely based on a non-Black person deciding that a Black TM did not deserve to do so. Its obvious that GZ didn't identify himself or wait until the REAL police arrived to do their job. So YES Trayvon Martin was the innocent victim of racially bigoted vigilantism run amok.

Anyone who can not see that TMs right were infringed upon can be labeled for exactly what they truly are. One thing is for certain, as a result of this trial I am definitely going to become a gun owner. This case is a wake up call. Its time to ring the alarm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies