Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 07:00 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
What party are you referring to?
This one

Party in My Tummy - YouTube

Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So if we all are Americans why is there selective teachings of black and latino accomplishments? I think that it is interesting that many whites complain about underacheiving black students but yet fail to mention that the cirriculum rarely mentions them in any of their texts unless they go to a HBCU (which btw are under attack by some whites for being exclusive). How would you feel if you went through your entire educational life and the only thing that you were taught was that you were slaves and the the same people that enslaved you freed you and than one man marched for your freedom. There are very few text books that include what the kings/queens of Africa did or even what they looked like. Hell, they even had the audacity to protray the queen of Egypt a white woman, considering many Americans still do not realize that it is a part of Africa
Christopher Columbus was seeking a new route to India because the Muslim world, under I believe the Turkish forces, had cut Christendom off from its old trade routes with India.

Columbus mistakenly thought he had arrived in India, however, his discovery of the Americas, in terms of Europeans knowledge of the continents that existed in the world, is what sparked European exploration and colonization of the rest of the Americas. This is why I say I find nothing wrong with him being credited with the discovery of the Americas. It took both ambition and courage for him and his crew to set out on such an endeavor too. It's not like they had radio communication and could call back for help. No airplanes existed for search and rescues. No air force PJ's [1] or Coast Guard rescue swimmers [2] to be dispatched for a ships aid in rough waters if crew members fall overboard.

Whether or not other Europeans had landed in the Americas before Columbus is interesting and worthwhile history but it's to Columbus as to why the rest of Europe found out about the Americas and eventually had adventurers setting out to stake their claim and fortunes in the Americas.

And there is no history of all white civilizations being taught throughout the academic year in public elementary schools and high schools. How many white, black, Indian, Asian, or Latino students are being lectured in classes about the Polish Winged Hussars or Irish Gaelic or about the Czechoslovakians?

They're not. They know of Ireland as Ireland and not as Eire. They know of the names Martin Luther King Jr. and even Mahatam Gandhi but they don't know the name of Daniel O'Connell.

And I seriously doubt much history of Germany is taught in U.S. public schools in general. And in terms of science, technology, literature, arts, philosophy and refined civilization the Germans have a pretty remarkable one. What U.S. students typically know of Germany is Adolf Hitler and the Nazis.

As Cleopatra the woman you were referring too... her racial make up can only be guessed at. Some think, and I would one of them, is that she was probably mixed-race or more or less mulatta. What is known of her family, so far as I recall, is that one side of her family is known to have descended from the Greek lineage. The Ptolymies. Ptolemaic dynasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some ancient writers had referred to Cleopatra as black I believe. But that word is problematic when it comes to trying to exactly ascertain what that was suppose to mean for ancient writers.

As for naming 10 black inventors off of the top of my head, I can't, but I can't do it for white, Arab, Persian, or Asian people either.

Most "history" taught in public schools at the elementary and secondary (high schools) levels tends to be selected for propaganda purposes to develop a certain feeling and belief in the minds of the young pupils. Consequently, that history will be used to promote a nationalism and sense of "American Exceptionalism." American exceptionalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For 1 and 2 in brackets above:

Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer A School - Preview - YouTube
U.S. Air Force Pararescue Indoctrination Course - YouTube

Old 08-24-2013, 07:37 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Good question. We should be able to celebrate being white and be proud of being white. It's as if there is some unwritten rule that we're supposed to be ashamed of being white while someone who is black should be proud of being black. I don't get it.

We can't have white colleges and promote white education with a white college fund either yet there are black colleges and the negro college fund.

I can think of only two possible reasons for this. Either A) Being white is so shameful you don't mention it and don't celebrate it or B) being white is so superior it doesn't need to be celebrated or promoted. Either one is equally bad. I suspect it's A because if you attempt to celebrate whiteness, you're labeled as a racist.

First of all the majority of every public state university in this country is predominately white. Secondly, I guess history does not matter but whites in this country would not let blacks go to their schools until what 50 years ago? Do you remember what happened at Alabama?

Please explain just what is a white college that does not promote white education unless you are talking about Stormfront University. I take it that you have never step foot in a college classroom because if you had you would know better then to say what you did. Whites are not excluded from going to HBCUs so that makes your arguement a mute point. Come to think of it the reason that there are not that many whites at HBCU's because they have more options to choose from which they can feel more comfortable amongst themselves. The ones that do attend realize that since they are the minority, they are eligible for certain minority scholarships

No one ever questioned celebrating "whiteness" since as I was told repeatly by white posters that "being white" is not an ethnicity and is simply a code phrase for racists. Whites in this country have the option of celebrating their unique heritage rather it be Italian, English, French or whatever and no one has ever batted an eye about it. There is another forum regarding this very matter regarding some kid who wants to start a white student union

Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 PM

[quote=Supine;31115564]Christopher Columbus was seeking a new route to India because the Muslim world, under I believe the Turkish forces, had cut Christendom off from its old trade routes with India.

Check, I got that

Columbus mistakenly thought he had arrived in India, however, his discovery of the Americas, in terms of Europeans knowledge of the continents that existed in the world, is what sparked European exploration and colonization of the rest of the Americas. This is why I say I find nothing wrong with him being credited with the discovery of the Americas. It took both ambition and courage for him and his crew to set out on such an endeavor too. It's not like they had radio communication and could call back for help. No airplanes existed for search and rescues. No air force PJ's [1] or Coast Guard rescue swimmers [2] to be dispatched for a ships aid in rough waters if crew members fall overboard.

To "discover" something that was never lost is still a play on history, since it has been proven that the Vikings have also set foot on American soil along with a few Africans and Indians from the Carribean

Whether or not other Europeans had landed in the Americas before Columbus is interesting and worthwhile history but it's to Columbus as to why the rest of Europe found out about the Americas and eventually had adventurers setting out to stake their claim and fortunes in the Americas.

I think that because of the Italian/Vatican pr dept it was easier to give him credit for it

And there is no history of all white civilizations being taught throughout the academic year in public elementary schools and high schools. How many white, black, Indian, Asian, or Latino students are being lectured in classes about the Polish Winged Hussars or Irish Gaelic or about the Czechoslovakians?

Actually, i was taught more Greek, Roman and European Monarchy than I was taught about the millions of Africans contribution to this country. As far as about other groups being taught about their respective histories in this country, well none of them were forced here and made to abandoned their language, culture and religion either. To top it off, the other groups who came later in the century on their own free free or at worst indentured servants and were allowed to blend in with the general population without any real struggles that lasted for generations. One other thing, American blacks are mentioned on CD more than any other group of people in a negative fashion, which means that there is a lack of knowledge regarding history and contributions to this country that is easily discounted and dismissed.

They're not. They know of Ireland as Ireland and not as Eire. They know of the names Martin Luther King Jr. and even Mahatam Gandhi but they don't know the name of Daniel O'Connell.

There are people from europe and Japan that are more aware of the contributions of people of color in this country than the people who are born here. Now why is that? It just seems to me that by keeping a group of people ignorant of their self worth marginalizes them into believing that they are just here with no purpose

And I seriously doubt much history of Germany is taught in U.S. public schools in general. And in terms of science, technology, literature, arts, philosophy and refined civilization the Germans have a pretty remarkable one. What U.S. students typically know of Germany is Adolf Hitler and the Nazis.

Why should German history be emphasized in this country and they don't even include our own?

As Cleopatra the woman you were referring too... her racial make up can only be guessed at. Some think, and I would one of them, is that she was probably mixed-race or more or less mulatta. What is known of her family, so far as I recall, is that one side of her family is known to have descended from the Greek lineage. The Ptolymies. Ptolemaic dynasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She may or may not be black, but one thing for sure she did not look like Elizabeth Taylor, she definitely was a woman of color. You see this is what I was talking about. do you see how easy it is to take the accomplishments of one group and claim it as your own? So those who seen her in the movies with no real education would be inclined to believe that she was a white woman with blue eyes. Which reminds me did'nt they do the same thing with Jesus and all of the characters in the Bible?

Some ancient writers had referred to Cleopatra as black I believe. But that word is problematic when it comes to trying to exactly ascertain what that was suppose to mean for ancient writers.

Huh, it meant that she was not white as the driven snow

As for naming 10 black inventors off of the top of my head, I can't, but I can't do it for white, Arab, Persian, or Asian people either.

Sure you can, Edison, Graham-Bell, Eli Whitney, Benjamin Franklin, George Westinghouse, George Eastman, Nikola Tesla, the Wright brothers, George Goodyear and Samuel Morse. These were taught in many high schools across the country

Most "history" taught in public schools at the elementary and secondary (high schools) levels tends to be selected for propaganda purposes to develop a certain feeling and belief in the minds of the young pupils. Consequently, that history will be used to promote a nationalism and sense of "American Exceptionalism." American exceptionalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It also was used to disenfranchise others into believing that their ancestory is not that important and marginalizes their accomplishments

Old 08-24-2013, 09:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
First of all the majority of every public state university in this country is predominately white. Secondly, I guess history does not matter but whites in this country would not let blacks go to their schools until what 50 years ago? Do you remember what happened at Alabama?

Please explain just what is a white college that does not promote white education unless you are talking about Stormfront University. I take it that you have never step foot in a college classroom because if you had you would know better then to say what you did. Whites are not excluded from going to HBCUs so that makes your arguement a mute point. Come to think of it the reason that there are not that many whites at HBCU's because they have more options to choose from which they can feel more comfortable amongst themselves. The ones that do attend realize that since they are the minority, they are eligible for certain minority scholarships

No one ever questioned celebrating "whiteness" since as I was told repeatly by white posters that "being white" is not an ethnicity and is simply a code phrase for racists. Whites in this country have the option of celebrating their unique heritage rather it be Italian, English, French or whatever and no one has ever batted an eye about it. There is another forum regarding this very matter regarding some kid who wants to start a white student union
I hold two masters degrees. None of the colleges I attended were white colleges. They allowed all students in. The point however is you cannot promote a college as a white college but you can promote one as a black college. You cannot have a white college fund but you can have a negro college fund.

OIC....being black is not racist but being white is.... got it... If you apply the same standard, being black is not an ethnicity either. There are African blacks, Jamacian blacks, etc, etc, etc... If you determine white ethnicity by country of origin, you must do the same for black ethnicity so there is no black ethnicity or white ethnicity. Yet we have "BLACK HISTORY MONTH" and that's not racist but white history month would be.... Go figure....

There is a serious double standard here.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:47 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Jemima View Post
Have you ever read a history book? World history is white history month. How whites had slaves. How whites explored the globe and tried to take over everything that came into view. How whites fought wars. How whites stole the United States from native people. Hmm!
Don't forget how Africans sold other Africans into slavery. Oops. They still do.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I hold two masters degrees. None of the colleges I attended were white colleges. They allowed all students in. The point however is you cannot promote a college as a white college but you can promote one as a black college. You cannot have a white college fund but you can have a negro college fund.

OIC....being black is not racist but being white is.... got it... If you apply the same standard, being black is not an ethnicity either. There are African blacks, Jamacian blacks, etc, etc, etc... If you determine white ethnicity by country of origin, you must do the same for black ethnicity so there is no black ethnicity or white ethnicity. Yet we have "BLACK HISTORY MONTH" and that's not racist but white history month would be.... Go figure....

There is a serious double standard here.

Who said white history month would be racist. If you want to promote white history month then go for it, make it happen. Although I don't know why we would need it.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,933,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Don't forget how Africans sold other Africans into slavery. Oops. They still do.
Guess who they sold them to and who the biggest customer was, yes indeed, Oops.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:59 PM

[quote=Ivorytickler;31117101]I hold two masters degrees. None of the colleges I attended were white colleges. They allowed all students in. The point however is you cannot promote a college as a white college but you can promote one as a black college. You cannot have a white college fund but you can have a negro college fund.

So you are saying that your degrees came from a predominately black college or online? Since there is no such thing technically as a "white college or black college" I use the term "white college" only because the enrollment is predominately white and not because they do not admit blacks, although it was not too long ago that was also true

For someone who professes to having two masters degrees, you are having probelms grasping what I'm saying. Lets try this again. People who consider themselves as being white by virtual of being non Asian, Latino, Hispanic or Black have the luxury of tracing their ancestory through their own ethnicities and therefore do not have the same issues as Black Americans who can not, because of slavery. I guess that you never noticed that Jamacians, Hatians and Africans from specific countries identify themself by country of origin. That being said, "Black" for one is not a country of origin and "American" denotes citizenship. Therefore black colleges, black history month ect is merely a placeholder for people that cannot pinpoint their exact roots

Old 08-24-2013, 09:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Who said white history month would be racist. If you want to promote white history month then go for it, make it happen. Although I don't know why we would need it.
The point is, they call it "Black history month" as if BLACK is an ethnicity. If white is not an ethnicity to be promoted and celebrated, why is black? Black and white are skin colors. You can chant "Black Power" and you're viewed as promoting your "race" but you cannot chant "White Power" without being called a racist. You're allowed to have a negro college fund for black students but not a white college fund for white students. That would be racist .

There is a double standard here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies