Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 12:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Palazzo, a Gulf War Marine veteran who has participated in all five of the Honor Flights, blames the White House for making it harder on veterans and playing politics. “At first I thought it was a huge bureaucratic oversight,” Palazzo told The Daily Caller, “but having talked with the officials I can’t help but think this was politically motivated. Honor Flights, which bring WWII veterans to the nation’s memorials, are planned a year in advance and cost anywhere between $80,000 to $100,000. How low can you get with playing politics over our nation’s veterans?”

And what exactly is Palazzo doing? It seems he's playing politics, too.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:55 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I'm proud of the Dems for standing their ground against the GOP absurdity. The GOP free fall continues.

What a colossal blunder and miscalculation by the Kool-Aid caucus of hapless House tea party Pubs.

President Obama and the Dems, as usual, hold the superior position.
Oh, right.
who was it that said:
"I will not negotiate. I will NOT negotiate with them!"
Who doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word "COMPROMISE"?
Who has not proposed a workable budget for the United States for many years, thus making the Continuing Resolutions necessary?
Who has wanted or needed an increase in the debt limit nearly every year for who-knows-how-long?
I wish we had a REAL LEADER!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I don't understand what you are having trouble grasping. The WWII Memorial is open 24/7.
Obama chose to purposefully block off an open monument and brought in furloughed employees to keep people from getting in.
And you're wrong. The memorial is not open 24/7, and Obama is simply putting Congress' will into action, as he's supposed to do as head of the Executive Branch.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Actually, I don't think this is cool.
BUT ..........

Quote:
That monument falls under the National Park Service. Yes, it has access 24/7 with the exception of Christmas Day. So the museum does close one day a year. The exhibit is "actively" manned from about 9:30AM to 8PM with park service employees. After that, the area is nominally manned with Park Service security. That nominal security allows 24/7 access. If you come after 8PM you won't get your questions answered but you can still roam the Park Service grounds because they are open and, again, minimally manned. Except for Christmas Day and then there is no one and then there will be a barricade.

So, now there is NO ONE manning the area and, by regulations, it is closed. Sure, I guess the President could make that one exception but once you start making one exception, you end up with people needing 50 others because their cause is just as worthy.
"No one manning the area" .... except of course the Guards they have posted to keep the WWII Honor Flight Veterans who are coming daily on their Flights that have been a year in the planning. They are threatening arrests and the Press is lined up to video tape it the minute they try to take down a 95 year old in a wheel-chair. Brave, Brave National Park Guards.

It gets even better - the National Park service has closed down a Popular Park in Virginia that they don't even run or staff or have anything at all to do with. Their excuse? The park is on National Park grounds that were turned over the the City to run and operate. Any excuse is a good excuse when you want to be a Bully and throw a Temper Tantrum.

Shutdown overreach: More personnel sent to WWII memorial than Benghazi; Park Service closes park it doesn't run
Quote:
The National Park Service is sending so many officials out to shut down federal parks from visiting Americans that at this rate it might have to suspend furloughs if the government closure continues.

Two Examples:

- At the World War II Memorial on The Mall in Washington, where veterans have been staging protests to keep it open, Washington Examiner's Charlie Spiering reports that at least seven officials were dispatched Wednesday morning to set up a ring of barricades to block tourists from the memorial. That is two more than the State Department had in Benghazi a year ago on the night of the terrorist attack that killed four, including the U.S. ambassador.

-- National Park Officials closed down the educational Claude Moore Colonial Farm near the CIA in McLean, Va., even though the federal government doesn't fund or staff the park popular with children and schools. Just because the privately-operated park is on Park Service land, making the federal government simply its landlord, the agency decided to close it.
A Fish Rots from the Head:
Quote:
Pointing to Park Service claims that parks have to be closed because the agency can’t afford staff during the government closure, Eberly wrote: “What utter crap. We have operated the Farm successfully for 32 years after the NPS cut the Farm from its budget in 1980 and are fully staffed and prepared to open today. But there are barricades at the Pavilions and entrance to the Farm. And if you were to park on the grass and visit on your own, you run the risk of being arrested. Of course, that will cost the NPS staff salaries to police the Farm against intruders while leaving it open will cost them nothing.”

She added: “In all the years I have worked with the National Park Service, first as a volunteer for six years in Richmond where I grew up, then as an NPS employee at the for eight very long years and now enjoyably as managing director for the last 32 years — I have never worked with a more arrogant, arbitrary and vindictive group representing the NPS. I deeply apologize that we have to disappoint you today by being closed but know that we are working while the National Park Service is not — as usual.”
Sure a lot of tap dancing by the Obama apologists - interesting that some people are able to find out information about the Park Service that is not visible to the little people - their web-site is shut down due to the shutdown of course - all that stuff about Christmas Day? Doesn't show up anywhere else that I can find, so it must be on the Official National Park Service web-site that is closed to everyone except perhaps the Administration.

Amazing stuff being revealed about these people that "lead" us.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013
If a future Republican President and Republican-led Congress were to pass a law that was distasteful to Democrats and to the majority of the American people (for example, a law to privatize Social Security); and if, after a couple of years, a small group of extremist Democrats threatened to allow a government shutdown to prevent the law from being implemented...

whom would you support, now that you've established the principle that economic blackmail is an acceptable way for a small legislative minority to block the implementation of laws it doesn't like?
Good question. This is what Harry Reid wrote to Boehner:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Speaker,

I hated the Iraq war. I think I hated it as much as you hate the Affordable Car Act. [...] In those days, when President Bush was Commander in Chief, I could have taken the steps that you are taking now to block Government funding in order to gain leverage to end the war. I faced a lot of pressure from my own base to take that action. But I did not do that. I felt it would have been devastating to America. Therefore, the Government was funded.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Oh, right.
who was it that said:
"I will not negotiate. I will NOT negotiate with them!"
Who doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word "COMPROMISE"?
Who has not proposed a workable budget for the United States for many years, thus making the Continuing Resolutions necessary?
Who has wanted or needed an increase in the debt limit nearly every year for who-knows-how-long?
I wish we had a REAL LEADER!
Like Ronald Reagan?

He raised the debt ceiling 14 times.

Of course he won't compromise. You don't change established law in a back room with a handshake.
The constitution describes exactly the procedure the legislature is required to take to amend established law.
The House republicans have tabled every effort made by the president to present a budget to the American people since 2010.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:12 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
...the President could make that one exception but once you start making one exception, you end up with people needing 50 others because their cause is just as worthy...
Then how come Obama is issuing exemptions to the ACA for a lot of larger companies and even delayed the employer mandate by a year, even to congress and their staffers, (contrary to the ACA law)? If he is legally bound to uphold the law, how does he have the power to exempt people and companies from the law?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The thing is it is unpopular for varying reasons. Everyone I'm friends with find it unpopular because it didn't have a public option or didn't just go to the far more efficient single payer system.

Lots of people would be open to repeal, but the devil is what is it being replaced with. Repealing it without something to immediately replace it with would be counterproductive.
You said a mouthful there. The 8% of us who have been buying insurance in the individual insurance market will be reliant on the ACA marketplaces on January 1, in order to have a place to buy coverage. We farmers, ranchers, self-employed and small business people have no other option--the ACA has already shelled out the future of the individual market except for the ACA marketplace.

So the Republicans "sieg heiling" to Ted Cruz are throwing good Republicans under the bus. "Defund" or "Delay" is not possible--you could repeal EVERY PART of it if you had the votes, or you can move forward, but we cannot simply stop where we are at. Not responsible, idiotic, simple-minded.

Does the ACA suck? Oh, yeah. So let's fix it.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:19 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Good question. This is what Harry Reid wrote to Boehner:
Does he have Alzheimer's? Because he voted Yes for the Iraq War resolution in 2002. I guess he was for it before he hated it.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:21 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
...Does the ACA suck? Oh, yeah. So let's fix it.
The ACA was good in concept, but poorly implemented. It was rushed too fast. That's understandable because those who wanted it controlled both houses of congress and the presidency. Can't really blame them. The other side would do it too with something else. Yes, "we" do need to fix it. But, it's a big problem and getting more and more difficult as each puzzle piece falls into place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies