Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Love to say "MERRY CHRISTMAS" not just to convey good wishes, but to watch the blood pressure max out in the narrow minded PC's I am unfortunate enough to encounter while celebrating the holiday.
Perfect example of what the season is all about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There is no misunderstanding. Plain and simply, you have the right to belong to any religion which you desire to join, just as I do. Your choice of religion has zero influence on my choice of religion, nor does it have any influence on the way I express my religion. In short, you have freedom of religion when it comes to your personal choice, but you do not have freedom from religion if I choose to express my views in public. I'm not attempting to convert you to my religion (admittedly, I don't actually belong to any specific religion) by expressing my religious beliefs, I'm merely expressing my religious beliefs. By the same token, if you greet me with what is considered a religious greeting in your chosen faith, it doesn't mean you are trying to convert me. It merely means that you are expressing your religious beliefs in your greeting.

Sorry, the whole freedom from religion argument is bogus. It is completely contradictory to the central thesis that was behind the creation of the United States, which is that all people have equal rights. In order to have freedom from religion, Person A's right to not be exposed to Person B's religion is given more weight than Person B's right to express their religious belief.
The problem is that your whole claim is a lie. Literally nobody is demanding that religious people be prohibited from mentioning their religion in public. What we do object to is highjacking the government to spread your religion.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Once again you prove you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Were the pilgrims liberals? They outlawed Christmas.
Shhh.
None of that factual stuff here.

We reserve the right to be indignant for no good reason.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Is this the annual "there's a war on Christmas" thread? It came a bit early this year.
Slow news week.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Lightbulb Do you feel obligated to say "happy holiday" instead of "Merry Christmas"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, it is almost that time of the year again. People working in departments stores are instructed to say “Happy Holidays†instead of "Merry Christmas."

Well, yeah, Christmas is a religious holiday, but these days many people that are from other religions celebrate Christmas as well more as a holiday since its a large tradition in this country.

I wonder do you feel pressured or obligated to say "Happy Holiday" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

What's wrong with Season's Greetings?

Or even Yule Be Home for xmas?

What's Jesus' take?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, it is almost that time of the year again. People working in departments stores are instructed to say “Happy Holidays†instead of "Merry Christmas."

Well, yeah, Christmas is a religious holiday, but these days many people that are from other religions celebrate Christmas as well more as a holiday since its a large tradition in this country.

I wonder do you feel pressured or obligated to say "Happy Holiday" instead of "Merry Christmas"?
I say Happy Hoildays before thanksgiving and Merry christmas close to that hoilday and HH after Xmas.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Is this the annual "there's a war on Christmas" thread? It came a bit early this year.

It's been a real bad week for the religious right. Not surprising that they're changing the subject.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Love to say "MERRY CHRISTMAS" not just to convey good wishes, but to watch the blood pressure max out in the narrow minded PC's I am unfortunate enough to encounter while celebrating the holiday.
I`ll bet you`ve never encountered anyone reacting in such a way. It`s not even an interesting fabrication.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:08 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I'm an atheist....I say Merry Christmas.

This PC Happy Holidays junk is nonsense.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:10 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
How about neither.
Are you the Scrooge.....to bad people can't just have fun! Wish Christmas was never commercialized this is where the problem lies.

Funny how Halloween has become Happy Halloween......along with now we can buy our costume and Christmas cards all in the same aisle.

Too many $$$ holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies