Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 PM

442 posts, read 588,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
So, incest is ok with you?

As long as the participants are "righteous?"
Is incest against the law of the land? To my knowledge, it is.
And it's also against Gods law. Paul calls out a man who is
having an incestuous relationship with his step mother. He establishes
the fact the old covenant has passed and now the new covenant spiritual laws
take effect. Sure many of those overlap with the old covenant too.

Before the flood, there had to be incest. You understand that right? The world originated with just two
people, so by default, that was the only way the earth could be populated.Thru one family

Old 11-08-2013, 10:42 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Remember, all of us were made in the image of God. Gays too. Gays just define themselves through their sexual partners.
How so? If you think they define themselves by their sexual partners, you must also think the same when a straight person says "I'm married," or "meet my girl/boyfriend." And when I refer to myself as a straight woman, am I also defining myself by sexual partners - even if I don't currently have one?

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiawomann5 View Post
With all due respect, those Southern Baptists are pretty hardcore. I'm not sure I could withstand their church. As is many private christian schools. I attended a Public School. I am sorry that was your upbringing, not to disparage all Southern Baptist churches. But they are not exactly grace filled, to my knowledge. But again, that is my impression. Not a fact

The first amendment is temporal. It is a secular law, and overall, a very good one. But we live by spiritual laws, and only when they conflict with the laws of the land, do we not obey them. This life is temporal, so as much as you can invest into it, it's a blink of an eye compared to eternity.

I didn't grow up in church so don't have a background as such. But those that have, and seem marred by it, well it is probably the most psychologically damaging abuse I've seen so far. Worse than sexual abuse, physical etc..even via my time as a Foster Parent. Some churches make God inaccessable by inventing standards not found in the bible. Anyhow I will pray for you. Thanks for talking with me.
YOU can live by your "spiritual laws" but we all have to live by the laws of this country. In this country we are all supposed to have equal protections of the law. ALL OF US. not just those that you or your church think should have rights, but EVERYONE.

33,572 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I admire your religious belief, I really do. I was raised catholic and went to catholic schools all my life and went to church a few times a week. But what we were taught by the nuns and priests was basically to be a good person and to treat others as you would like to be treated. We were taught to help the less fortunate and to never judge anyone who was different from us. That is what they taught as the word of god.
Read your bible.Find out who God is through Jesus Christ. The new testament is for all. The Holy Spirit of God is the teacher. God is real and his power is immense. We do not get to heaven through good works yet God approves of good works. Jesus is the way the truth and the life. Our own goodness does not get us to heaven. It is the work of Jesus, when he bore our sins and accepting Jesus as our savior and Lord is the only way. We do not get to heaven on our own . It is not of works lest any man should boast.
Alive with Christ
8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
Cross References
Romans 3:28
For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

2 Timothy 1:9
He has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

Titus 3:5
he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiawomann5 View Post
Is incest against the law of the land? To my knowledge, it is.
And it's also against Gods law. Paul calls out a man who is
having an incestuous relationship with his step mother.

With that, you're talking about the old covenant. And before Noah came into play,
there had to be incest. You understand that right? The world originated with just two
people, so by default, that was the only way the earth could be populated.
So, since only eight people survived the flood, and they were all part of the same family, and for you and I to be here, members of the Noah family must have committed hanky panky (incest) among themselves. Right?
Quote:
And before Noah came into play, there had to be incest.
Sounds to me that incest had to have taken place after Noah.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 PM

32,073 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Read your bible.Find out who God is through Jesus Christ. The new testament is for all. The Holy Spirit of God is the teacher. God is real and his power is immense. We do not get to heaven through good works yet God approves of good works. Jesus is the way the truth and the life. Our own goodness does not get us to heaven. It is the work of Jesus, when he bore our sins and accepting Jesus as our savior and Lord is the only way. We do not get to heaven on our own . It is not of works lest any man should boast.
Alive with Christ
8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
Cross References
Romans 3:28
For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

2 Timothy 1:9
He has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

Titus 3:5
he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
No, the bible is just a book written a very long time ago and who even knows how accurate it is. Believe in god not some book.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Big Bang Theory explains it quite well, thank you. If you believe in a creator, more power to you. Don't look down on me just because I believe differently.

You're free to believe in some invisible being just as I'm free to not adhere by some religious doctrine that never happened.
You're making a much bigger leap of faith to believe that all you see just happened by accident. The Universe just doesn't work that way.

My brother is a PHD in Physics, teaches advanced math and engineering at a very prestigious university.

He had his little bout with atheism in college, but the more they discover, the more many scientists are convinced that there is intelligent, guided design to everything.

BTW, it doesn't really matter what you believe or not, you and I are both a part of the same energy field that gives us our intelligence and our conscience. When you die, you do continue. No one knows to what or where but there are math formulas that prove this.

The Universe does not waste energy. And what makes us who we are is energy. Your body is 65% water, water that came from the far side of the universe eons ago. It's all tied together.

If you spent one hour with him and a beer, you would be blown away from what they have learned with the super collider project in Europe. There are going to be some profound scientific announcements in the next 10 years that is going to blow a lot of people away.

God is real, and we are all a part of something pretty spectacular. To think that we are just evolved mammals from dumb, instinct driven animals is a really sad way to go through life.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, yeah... I've heard it all before, and studied the Torah for half of my life. So if Christians only follow NT laws, why do they always quote Torah passages when asked to explain why they're anti-gay? Sodom & Gomorrah, the mistranslated "thou shalt not lie with a man" passage, etc, ALL come from the "OT." So you guys need to have a meeting, and decide which parts of your Bible to follow and/or use to justify anti-gay behavior. Mkay?
There is no anti-gay here. I am probably pretty relaxed about that stuff, honestly.
I've never brought up Sodom & Gomorrah with regards to this topic. Not sure why it always seems to be at the forefront but whatever...

You may have studied the Torah but you don't understand we live in the new covenant. Nor how it relates to the old covenant.

And a central meeting wouldn't work..since most self labeled "Christians" are not saved. Frankly alot of them scare me. If someone quickly tells me their Christian, I become on guard. They always seem to be the biggest hypocrites and it seems easier to hang with unbelievers. Part of why I never attended church. At least until I realized most Christians are not saved. And Satan works harder in the churches than anywhere else. Wanna prevent your child from being molested? Stay away from church. It's the truth. With that, there is a small, very minute bunch who do get saved. I've met them, very few Christians exist. They are out there, but again, difficult to find.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How so? If you think they define themselves by their sexual partners, you must also think the same when a straight person says "I'm married," or "meet my girl/boyfriend." And when I refer to myself as a straight woman, am I also defining myself by sexual partners - even if I don't currently have one?
The word Gay is the defining word of the gay community. They label themselves. The word heterosexual is not used for the majority of people. You yourself said many people who define themselves are so much more. Good people who achieve many things. The power of the word gay has overtaken their identity. It should not define a person. A sexual attraction or an act of sex should not define a whole person. This is the stronghold given by the gay community to define each person with a sexual act. By one facet they define themselves and give themselves over to the "gay" community. It is a stronghold on ones identity. It is wrong . It is not freedom to be a person first with power of their own. It destroys their will of their path in life.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
So, since only eight people survived the flood, and they were all part of the same family, and for you and I to be here, members of the Noah family must have committed hanky panky (incest) among themselves. Right?
It didn't become "incest" until the new covenant aka the new testament. Prior it was not against Gods Law. There were no sacrifices made to cover the sins of incest. It's kinda like driving 65 miles per hour. In the last 25 years, it's been the speed limit. Prior the speed limit was 55. So driving 65 only became against the law later on. it wasn't so from the beginning.

Same with incest. The word isn't even mentioned in the OT because by definition, it is sin. This is why Paul had to explicitly remind the Corinthian Church that incest is against Gods law. Because they were transitioning from an old law, into a new law. A man "had" his fathers wife (aka his step mom). Those that were committing incest WERE SAVED. How do we know? Paul spoke to the church as if they were saved. And they repented... as saved people do. They didn't become sinless perfection, but the holy spirit led them into a life overall obedient to Christ. Something they couldn't do with their own free will. They surrendered their will over to Gods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies