Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 08:30 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Let's not ignore the "democrats for life" part of the equation.
That's negligible because illegal aliens can't vote. Regardless of party, politicians pay attention to money, and the money favors keeping illegals illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 08:36 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Great idea! Round up all the illegals and deport them. Wonder why nobody has ever thought of that before. Even better: Pass laws to prohibit illegal aliens from entering the country.

The truth is this: Illegal aliens are in the country because Americans with money and lobby power want them in this country. There are billions of dollars being made on illegal aliens--and that big money is dependent on their illegal status.

Nothing will be done to get rid of them, nothing will be done to make them legal residents. Billions of dollars are riding on the status quo.
All we need to do is enforce current immigration laws and stop giving freebies. End automatic citizenship to people whose parents are not U.S citizens. Make English the official language. Life would be hard & they would self deport.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
All we need to do is enforce current immigration laws and stop giving freebies. End automatic citizenship to people whose parents are not U.S citizens. Make English the official language. Life would be hard & they would self deport.
You missed my point.

US politics runs on big money. Big money favors having illegal aliens as cheap labor. The status quo will not change because there are people making billions on cheap illegal labor.

So all schemes to get rid of illegal aliens are doomed to failure--people with a lot more money than any of us cooking up these schemes want the illegals to stay here and stay illegal.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 PM

442 posts, read 800,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's negligible because illegal aliens can't vote.
Doesn't mean they don't.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:44 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am mixed on my original question but one thing that I hear over and over from champions of huge increases of immigration is they have skills that American born residents don't have. I find this to be naïve and off-putting. You mean to tell me that because someone was born in America they lack skills, a work ethic and the ability to be creative?

With 250 Million people in the USA who were born in America, you can't find someone with the skills to keep our business and governmental organizations going?
Hi. I'm an immigrant. I'm also a kick-ass network engineer with decades of experience under my belt. I've also been trying like hell to find a network engineer for an open slot in my team, and I don't mind saying that it's been ridiculously hard. (Not a bad position, either - six figures out the gate, nice benefits package etc.)

We have a good prospect in a contract-to-hire situation now, but he's the third candidate in the slot - one left on his own, one had to be dropped due to attitude problems. Both true-blue Americans. (Incidentally, my boss is an immigrant, and I don't mind admitting that she kicks my ass, skill-wise.)

You want the skills we're looking for, you need to have started honing them ten years ago. I don't care how many Americans there are who want the job - there are many - but the number of people who can handle the job is much lower.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:45 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Or lock up those true-blue flag-waving job creators who hire them. Much easier.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:36 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,556 times
I am sure that the immigrants are always better workers than the American born IT workers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Hi. I'm an immigrant. I'm also a kick-ass network engineer with decades of experience under my belt. I've also been trying like hell to find a network engineer for an open slot in my team, and I don't mind saying that it's been ridiculously hard. (Not a bad position, either - six figures out the gate, nice benefits package etc.)

We have a good prospect in a contract-to-hire situation now, but he's the third candidate in the slot - one left on his own, one had to be dropped due to attitude problems. Both true-blue Americans. (Incidentally, my boss is an immigrant, and I don't mind admitting that she kicks my ass, skill-wise.)

You want the skills we're looking for, you need to have started honing them ten years ago. I don't care how many Americans there are who want the job - there are many - but the number of people who can handle the job is much lower.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
I'm sensing an upping of the immigration issue to boot out not only illegals but now those that werent born here? Not sure what the stats are but i'd suspect 10's of millions would have to get back on the proverbial boat,, lot of people would also be saying goodby to Mom and Dad..

Old 12-28-2013, 02:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Or lock up those true-blue flag-waving job creators who hire them. Much easier.
If we not only locked them up but seized their companies then illegal immigration would come to a halt.

Of course there'd be some other effects too, none of them good.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:41 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
This thread is pointless. Keeping out immigrants is not the answer for the modern world. We have numerous dead cities throughout the United States. A good legal immigration plan could solve many of the illegal immigration problems and help rebuild many of our cities and provide growth opportunities for goods and services. Immigration is an important part of our country's history and success. There are several places in the US that would benefit from legal immigration. It doesn't have to be a win or lose situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies