Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 03:56 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The whole idea that because some immigrants bring skills and knowledge to America, then we should have even more immigrants is stupid. The key is to be selective. Immigration is not a right. It is not a form of charity. Immigration is a privilege granted to others by the citizens of America. Only the those that can bring something of value to America should be allowed to come. America does itself no favors by allowing in millions of uneducated and unskilled people.
What about the 500,000 unskilled and uneducated that joined the union army between 1861 and 1865?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 06:59 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Here is the thing...computer science does almost nothing for somebody looking to go to work in the networking field. And neither does programming language or coding.

Networking is pretty much a cornered market by Cisco which has proprietary hardware and routing protocols.

It's not like going to learn....plumbing. It's a specialized field. Maybe if they didn't wipe out all the vocational schools in the country, this could have been a reality. But, you have to pay your way for everything now.
In my company, I hired Cisco CCNA and CCNP temps to answer telephones. Paid them above minimum wage, for sure, but even for them, permanent jobs are hard to find and they were willing to start as externals answering phones to get a chance at an internal job.

And I did work to convince the company that we needed them internally, and hired the best of them as the project came to an end.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 AM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The whole idea that because some immigrants bring skills and knowledge to America, then we should have even more immigrants is stupid. The key is to be selective. Immigration is not a right. It is not a form of charity. Immigration is a privilege granted to others by the citizens of America. Only the those that can bring something of value to America should be allowed to come. America does itself no favors by allowing in millions of uneducated and unskilled people.
Another voice of reason in here. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Well if you go far back enough sure, but the US is an extremely young nation, not only as the "United States of America" but considering most Americans trace back to immigrants in the last 200-300 years from the other side of the Ocean. That's quite different that current native peoples in most areas, who do see migration between nearby regions, but much more rarely (and not entirely) of such distant source regions.

Many disagree with your statement. Many people (including myself) think our current immigration policy is not only extremely difficult but we should allow people to reside here while they seek immigration. If it's to remain lengthy and difficult then it should be in a process where people are allowed to stay while they go through it.

Many of most Americans ancestors mostly just had to sign a piece of paper to immigrate. I'm so glad my immigrant ancestors (many of which date back to the 1600-1700s) didn't have the same ridiculous process we have now.
You fail to understand that we are not the same nation as back in the 1600-1700's now. Our population growth has grown immensely with a scarcity of jobs and resources. We simply cannot apply the same immigration policies that we had back then to today.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:18 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
I didn't realize "foreign born" was such a difficult concept.

Clue: It means born in a different country. It has nothing whatsoever to do with ones ancestors.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I know, just think of all the Social Security taxes being paid that will never be given back to the illegals who work here on fake Social Security numbers. The government is making tons of money off that.
Yeah, all paid under fake or stolen numbers. Those who had their SS numbers used by illegals will be the benefactors of that not our government. Illegals shouldn't be given back anything as their social costs are much higher than any taxes they pay into the system.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by das74 View Post
I agree....Here on the central coast? The laws have become very stringent as well as ICE raids which has illegal immigrants going back to the homeland..
Point in fact? There was an article in our local newspaper stating the crisis of our mainly AG town and the crops were going to waste? And the central coast would be losing money...?
WE ARE TALKING BIG MONEY CORPS THAT RESIDE IN THE COUNTY..THAT ARE responsible for delivering fresh produce to many states, you know local grocery stores, Albertsons, vons, HEB, walmart.
WE all scream "STOP illegal immigration" Easy work right? No, back breakihg work for minimum wage and no bennies...Yet? In see no White Americans along with any other ethnicity working those fields...Why?
Huge corps RUN the show and they are betting on the cheapest labor and the hardest workers to bring them the biggest buck for cheap....

The liberal arts is not useless talent they teach our future gens...do not forget that...However I do agree what some of what you state...I for one am sick and tired of looking at the stats each year as we see our nation falling further and further behind in the education sector.
We are taking money that should be invested in Public education ( Dome with a liberal arts degree) and placing the funds somewhere else...
We are robbing our future gens/leaders with the education they deserve..Some countries place most of their dividends in education because they are aware that education is key...
Most students abroad are educated in English and other languages...They are trilingual..They got it, we obviously have not...
Here where I reside we have several convenience store owned by Croatians, they not only speak their language but english and spanish as well...
Yet we go abroad and we have the audacity to get upset when no one speaks English, really?
Some countries? Korea for instance, I have a friend whom works in accounting and states openly, 'Our school system sucks, when I was a child in Korea? We went to school 6 days a week everything revolved around our studies..
Yet here in our country? We have Head Start which is based on excellence..Educators teaching toddlers and pre school aged students? Must have at least an AA and working towards their bachelors degrees? And yet their program is geared towards the low income sector?
Yet private center based care for middle class and above? Only requires 9 college units? From their teachers?
My son attended private school and he was doing math and english in 8th grade that he is repeating his Junior year in a public HS ( Because he wanted to be normal kid) and his teacher wonder why he is bored?
Really?

Exactly

No immigrants at your age? I find that hard to fathom since the influx ocurred during your time or the time of your parents...
So many yet they wore white faces so this makes sense...
Irish, Italian, welsh, polish and so forth youare all immigrants please...
All of the aforementioned where not BORN here..
We want to talk about real Americans? Let us start with Native AMERICANS..
There are no jobs that most Americans won't do (of any race/ethnicity) and why would you constantly mention just white Americans? Your racism is showing. As for crop picking there are unlimited H-2A visas for LEGAL foreign crop pickers so you were saying? There is no excuse to hire illegal aliens based on that it is just that the greedy growers just want to increase their profits by using cheap, illegal labor. Only 3% of illegals are picking crops anyway the rest are working jobs that Americans need and have always done for a "fair" wage.

The so-called native American weren't native at all to this continent/country. They migrated here just like everyone else did, just earlier. If one was born here they are "native" to this country. They aren't immigrants even though perhaps their ancestors were. You really need to educate yourself on this country's history and why we have immigration laws today.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:52 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
What about the 500,000 unskilled and uneducated that joined the union army between 1861 and 1865?
Uh; this is 2013, NOT 1861. Things change. Sheesh!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There are no jobs that most Americans won't do (of any race/ethnicity) and why would you constantly mention just white Americans? Your racism is showing. As for crop picking there are unlimited H-2A visas for LEGAL foreign crop pickers so you were saying? There is no excuse to hire illegal aliens based on that it is just that the greedy growers just want to increase their profits by using cheap, illegal labor. Only 3% of illegals are picking crops anyway the rest are working jobs that Americans need and have always done for a "fair" wage.

The so-called native American weren't native at all to this continent/country. They migrated here just like everyone else did, just earlier. If one was born here they are "native" to this country. They aren't immigrants even though perhaps their ancestors were. You really need to educate yourself on this country's history and why we have immigration laws today.
Agreed.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:55 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am sure that the immigrants are always better workers than the American born IT workers!
Always? No. But there is one thing that many people overlook: Immigration is a colossal hassle - paperwork, expenses, disengaging from living in one country and picking up in another (Sounds easy? - try imagining settling every single bill you pay. Every insurance policy, every bank account. Reams of paperwork.)

Clearing that hurdle sorta provides for a pool of those with above-average resources and drive. It should be no surprise that they try to excel in other fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies