Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:39 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,683,188 times

Advertisements

The child hasn't had any surgery, yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
OK, so he's a boy, no complications.

Sounds like his parents have been bending over backward to avoid the usual imprinting that every child gets in growing up as a boy or girl. Hard to say if that's the main reason he's now wavering in the middle, or only part of the reason.

When mommy bird and daddy bird don't teach baby bird how to fly, you often wind up with a young bird who can't fly. Hard to say whether baby bird didn't want to fly, or whether it was mostly mom and dad who completely failed to emphasized the advantages of flying. Also hard to say whether, if mommy bird and daddy bird had worked at it, teaching him how and why to fly, he might have gotten over his kooky ideas and developed as a normal bird who could fly.

About the only thing missing here, from what I see in the video, is any attempt by Mom and Dad to tell him frankly that he's a boy and that he should act like one. Emphasizing that most boys find it fun to go hiking, throw rocks, play ball, build clubhouses etc. Most normal boys probably get that. But apparently a few don't.

If Mom and Dad HAD done those normal "parent" things, would this boy have developed as a normal boy? Not nearly enough in the video to tell.

They say in the video that he "clearly wanted to be a girl". Clear how? Lots of kids get kooky ideas. Most straighten out.

Is there any way to tell if this boy's ideas were any different from the kooky ideas most boys get? Different enough that he wouldn't have straightened out even if he'd gotten the normal encouragement and upbringing most boys get? (His parents keep repeating in the video that they deliberately gave no such encouragement.)

-----------------------------------

P.S. For the definition police, "straightened out" means, grew up with an outlook and attitude that matches his physical characteristics: a boy.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes, not to mention very brave. I suppose there was plenty of negative fallout from ignorant people after making this video and having the interview with BW.
Very brave in deed, but is this a case of parents over indulging? I don't know. Would you allow an 11 year old to juggle chainsaws simply because they felt that they were always meant to be a juggler? I don't believe that an 11 year old is qualified to make life changing decisions for themselves.
I am all for a persons right to be who they feel they should be. I have many friends in both Thailand and the USA who are transgender and feel only respect towards them. This is a child with 0 life experiences. She is beautiful and very likable. I hope the world accepts her for who she is, but even more I hope that her parents didn't over indulge her and lead her down a path that she may never return from.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
OK, so he's a boy, no complications.

Sounds like his parents have been bending over backward to avoid the usual imprinting that every child gets in growing up as a boy or girl. Hard to say if that's the main reason he's now wavering in the middle, or only part of the reason.

When mommy bird and daddy bird don't teach baby bird how to fly, you often wind up with a young bird who can't fly. Hard to say whether baby bird didn't want to fly, or whether it was mostly mom and dad who completely failed to emphasized the advantages of flying. Also hard to say whether, if mommy bird and daddy bird had worked at it, teaching him how and why to fly, he might have gotten over his kooky ideas and developed as a normal bird who could fly.

About the only thing missing here, from what I see in the video, is any attempt by Mom and Dad to tell him frankly that he's a boy and that he should act like one. Emphasizing that most boys find it fun to go hiking, throw rocks, play ball, build clubhouses etc. Most normal boys probably get that. But apparently a few don't.

If Mom and Dad HAD done those normal "parent" things, would this boy have developed as a normal boy? Not nearly enough in the video to tell.

They say in the video that he "clearly wanted to be a girl". Clear how? Lots of kids get kooky ideas. Most straighten out.

Is there any way to tell if this boy's ideas were any different from the kooky ideas most boys get? Different enough that he wouldn't have straightened out even if he'd gotten the normal encouragement and upbringing most boys get? (His parents keep repeating in the video that they deliberately gave no such encouragement.)

-----------------------------------

P.S. For the definition police, "straightened out" means, grew up with an outlook and attitude that matches his physical characteristics: a boy.
Of all the things that can go wrong in fetal development, it really shocks you that some people's internal gender identity doesn't entirely match their physical body? All embryos start out as female. Sometimes, the body and brain don't line up. Giving the kid a toy truck isn't going to change that.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Please get these poor little kids HELP, not fricken hormones and mutilation.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
too bad that circuses have gone all politically correct. People like this used to find acceptance and love amongst their own. Now they discover that "regular" people do not accept their "uniqueness". <--- words altered from the originals to avoid getting an infraction.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
He's not a girl. He's a boy who wished he was a girl... and so he had doctors cut off his weewee, put a hole there, and shoot him up with hormones. That didn't make him a girl, any more than putting a Ford badge on a Chevy makes it a Ford. All that did was make him a genital-mutilated, doped-up boy.

I'm sorry he can't get his wish to be a girl. It sounds like he would be happier if he was, and I'm all for people being happy.

But I've often wished I could fly like a bird, by flapping my arms, or even without flapping - just some kind of levitation. I will never be a bird, or a levitator (is that a word?), even if I make and sew on giant eagle wings. I will be a man with weird things on his arms. And this boy will only be a boy with mutilated genitals and abnormal hormones in his veins. I'm sorry that both desires are unachievable.
The Chevy badge is a gorgeous triumph of simplistic and beautiful design whereas the Ford one is boring and nothing to write home about. You're taking this way too far given the original, less controversial topic.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,847 times
So if a white kid fully embraces the stereotypical black culture, eg how he talks, acts, dresses, music he listens to, and everything else....is he black? Or just what we termed growing up as a wigger?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,643,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
Wow. Who would have guessed all the usual tea bagger types would have an issue with a transgender person?
Tea party guy here, I support the "Girl" 100%.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
"Any guy who doesn't date a transgirl simply because of her genitalia is a bigot."- liberals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies