Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:34 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
... they find another school, which is exactly what this little girl's grandparents did. The winner in this story is definitely the little girl, who will now get an education, rather than an indoctrination.
Where she'll learn something useful, like actual math and science and stuff like that.

Betcha the science classes at that christian school are a piece of comedy!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Sounds very arbitrary to me.
from the school:
Quote:
Note that the school reserves the right, at its sole discretion
"its sole discretion" = "we reserve the right to be as arbitrary as we please"

Here's why this is a big deal to people - nobody reads contracts anymore, but businesses do, because anyone making a buck is subject about half a million regulations they probably have never heard of, so CYA verbiage is included in lots and lots of fine print...that the average consumer never bothers to read. That fine print is there in illustrious 3 point Arial to make you aware of all the stuff you're agreeing to by doing business with whomever.

In this school's TOS< they flat out tell you: we can boot you whenever we feel like it for any reason we dream up, and this fine print means you agree to those terms.

Americans get pissy when they get burned by fine print they never bothered to read. Am I the only one who saw the "iCentipad" episode of South Park? Not exactly a new idea that people don't read the fine print before agreeing to a contract. But there it is, in black and white. If they feel like bouncing your kid from their school for any reason at all...they will and you agree to it by signing on the dotted line.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
from the school:

[/b]"its sole discretion" = "we reserve the right to be as arbitrary as we please"
Then they should have said "we are kicking out this child for reasons that are make-believe or entirely arbitrary and known only to us."

That's preferable to suggesting the girl is raised in a "climate of homosexuality or alternative gender identity" like they spelled out in the letter they sent home to the grandparents. I'd be upset too if I was them!

This school is a laughingstock.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:17 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Then they should have said "we are kicking out this child for reasons that are make-believe or entirely arbitrary and known only to us."

That's preferable to suggesting the girl is raised in a "climate of homosexuality or alternative gender identity" like they spelled out in the letter they sent home to the grandparents. I'd be upset too if I was them!

This school is a laughingstock.
Not debating silly dismissal, not debating this school being clown shoes idiots for bouncing a tomboy based on paranoia that a) she's an 8 year old lesbian and b) that homosexuality is conferred by a haircut and wearing pants, and I am not even debating that it's probably not the best way to send the Christian message of tolerance and forgiveness.

But the grandmother and the little girl HAVE NO CAUSE TO SUE, because in the school's fine print, they tell you they can be that arbitrary, that ridiculous and that ignorant if they so choose.

Of course it's bad business, at least to casual observers like us, and of course I would send my kids to even the worst public school before giving such morons my business....but they didn't break any rules, and they didn't violate their own terms of service.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and it is the atheists that are more inclined to put down Christians than the other way around. They expect all of us to think the way they do...now, who is the bigoted group?
As a whole?

Neither.

Every group has its discriminatory bunch, but that bunch shouldn't be applied to the whole.

Also (not directed towards you), anyone who thinks that sending kids to a Christian private school will result in less indoctrination than going to public school should probably re-evaluate the meaning of the word "indoctrination".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies