Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
That's how we depict them but long hair is Old Testament times, short hair was predominant in New Testament times.
In Rome for Romans. Not elsewhere.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:36 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
However, as I posted up thread, Sunnie is certainly better off away from those people. And the school is getting some free publicity.
I'll bet this will lead to an increase in applicants. The fact that so many are blindly marching in lockstep to whatever this school says and does is evidence of the hold these church/schools have over their automatons.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Maybe. This story was widely reported, I read some of the comments on more conservative websites, and found most people were appalled. Even on the local station - WSET - where some commenters shared their experiences at that same school.

The school has now hired legal counsel, and are now hinting at more significant behavior than was mentioned in their original letter to the grandparents.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Maybe. This story was widely reported, I read some of the comments on more conservative websites, and found most people were appalled.

The school has now hired legal counsel, and are now hinting at more significant behavior than was mentioned in their original letter to the grandparents.
I'm pretty conservative and I'm appalled too. Private schools set their own rules but it just rubs me the wrong way when they can do this seemingly on a whim (I saw it described on here as a "judgment call") without any rule violations. The contract goes both ways between the school and the family I would think? Maybe I can get out of my mortgage based on a "judgment call". Or my taxes!

It will be interesting to see if any misbehavior comes to light. If there indeed IS any evidence of misbehavior, I wonder why they didn't come out and say so in the letter they sent home to the grandparents? Instead they made the suggestion the girl was being raised in an environment of immorality.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:54 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Who are you to tell the school what their values should be? Who are you to define what is and isn't part of Christian values? You're coming off like a monumental hypocrite in this thread. You're judging the school for being judgmental.
I have done no such thing. All I have done is ask the user to explain what rules were violated, or how her appearance violates whatever they are basing the decision on. He couldn't do that, the school didn't adequately do that, and I'm assuming you cant either. Your only defense is to accuse those questioning the school of being hypocrites. You really should be more creative.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is hard to say what happened in that conversation. It is not unusual for parents/guardians to take from a conference about their child something totally different than the actual conversation. As an example, the following is based on an actual conference I had with a parent:
I suspect this is the case here and in some other recent stories, such as this one.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:09 PM

1,074 posts, read 758,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Private school - they can choose their student body.

How does this effect you personally?
These anti-Christian, anti-God leftists go out of their way to find something to get worked up about. This sounds to me like nothing more than a dress code, and since it is a private school, she must comply or get out. Period. I see nothing wrong.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:18 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
These anti-Christian, anti-God leftists go out of their way to find something to get worked up about. This sounds to me like nothing more than a dress code, and since it is a private school, she must comply or get out. Period. I see nothing wrong.
Nope, it had nothing to do with a dress code, she follows the dress code, unless of course they are going on some abstract never before mentioned interpretation of it. Please explain how a girl that likes some boy things (which don't exist in the 21st century) at 8 years old and donated her hair to charity has anything to do with Christian values? You can think its anti-Christian if you want, but in reality its about sanity.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
What part of the dress code did she violate? Please be specific.

Remember, the school told the family the issue isn't her hair or her clothes.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 PM

Check out the school's website. They are trying to save face by posting a PDF from their church-based legal team that represents them. Its a real piece of comedy! It claims that at no time did the school accuse the girl of sexual immorality. Well, yes they did! The letter home to Grandma stated they reserve the right to dismiss based on the grounds of "homosexual or gender identity issues". So which is it?

It goes on to claim this:

"When elementary children and their parents or guardians express concerns regarding use of the restroom
and other matters
arising from the sensitive issues here, the School
has a duty to address those concerns and to ensure that all interests are heard and protected in
accordance with the Christian mission of the school."

What does that even mean? Are the students there confused whether she is a boy or a girl? Its March; the school year is almost over. They don't know YET? Are these people stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies