Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Many religious reactionaries recognize that the only way they can remain relevant and have even a modicum of the power they crave is by trying to restore the indefensible power plays such folks exploited in previous generations: Men abusing power over women; majorities abusing power over minorities; powerful abusing power over the weak; etc.
Absolutely, abusing power is bad..

Religious zealots are the biggest offenders. Not our policy makers, CIA, central bank and military...not even close.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Male and female made He them." Jesus would not do drag. It's a mockery of God's design for mankind.
Those robes they wore looked a lot like dresses. Maybe Jesus swung both ways?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Nope, it had nothing to do with a dress code, she follows the dress code, unless of course they are going on some abstract never before mentioned interpretation of it. Please explain how a girl that likes some boy things (which don't exist in the 21st century) at 8 years old and donated her hair to charity has anything to do with Christian values? You can think its anti-Christian if you want, but in reality its about sanity.
What doesn't exist in the 21st Century? "Boy things?"

I didn't see anything in the story about her donating her hair. Must have missed it.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
What part of the dress code did she violate? Please be specific.

Remember, the school told the family the issue isn't her hair or her clothes.
Than why did the story say that she was told to where a dress?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I saw an interview with the girl and her Grandma. Grandma said the school did have a uninform, and that the shirts were similar for both girls and boys. Girls could wear EITHER a skirt OR pants. Now the school is saying the issue wasn't her hair? BS. Then exactly what is the issue if she wore a uniform? Maybe they didn't like how she dressed outside of school?

The Grandma said they were contacted by another Christian school who said they would be very happy to have the girl as their student, AND that they had no problem with her short hair. They haven't made a decision yet for next year between public school or the other Christian school.
Guarantee you the issue isn't the hair. Or the clothes. It is probably something thing to do with the child's behavior, that the school can not, and should not, discuss in the media.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, it was her Christian grandparents who brought this up in public. And probably most of the comments I read on the news sites I checked were from Christians.
So what if they were? It's a Christian school, isn't it?
Quote:
Whether the grandparents should have gone public is a question I'm not interested in.

My guess is that the school was motivated to send the letter because some parents of other students got wound up, and the school now finds itself in the middle. But that is just a guess.
Speculation, yes, but it did sound to me as though girls are expected to dress like girls at school. I see nothing wrong with that. It's a private school. When I was growing up, some private schools required boys to where a tie, too. Big deal.
Quote:
As I've said before, I think interpreting the dress and activity preferences of an 8-yo as a sexual expression is just silly, and I personally am glad Sunnie has been transferred to a public school where people are less sex-obsessed.
It isn't "sex obsession." It is more a matter of dressing decently, don't you think? When I was a kid in public school, the girls wore dresses, or skirts and blouses, and the boys wore slacks and a shirt. Today, kids often dress like slobs. I don't see anything wrong with requiring decent dress.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Male and female made He them." Jesus would not do drag. It's a mockery of God's design for mankind.

If your god gets upset by drag, he/she is truly a petty god.

You can always tell whether someone has ever experienced real power and prestige. Such people generally don't concern themselves with petty things. Yet so many American Christians worship a version of god that is nothing but a caricature of a nagging old man shaking his cane at things that "just aint right!"

Fiddling while Rome burns. Maybe your God should concern himself with being offended by things such as famine and war rather than tom boys and whose buggering whom.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Funniest thing I read today.

Especially considering the actions of this "christian" school.
Why is that funny? What were the "actions" of the school that you find are offensive? Why do you put Christian (uncapitalized - where did you learn to write?) in quotes? Do you think that they are not Christian? What makes you think that?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 AM

872 posts, read 828,264 times
Private schools can and do have dress codes and guidelines. If you do not wish to follow the dress codes and/or guidelines, then choose another school.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:10 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Than why did the story say that she was told to where a dress?
Where did it say that?

Maybe its from this line? According to the school, she could only return only if "her dress and behavior ... follow suit with her God-ordained identity."

That doesn't say she was told to wear a dress. (or "where" - as in "where did you learn to write?")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies