Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
no matter how you slice it what Cuban said was bad.

He is assuming a black person with a hoodie on is a bad person and that people with tattoos on their face are bad people.
He lives in the real world instead of in a fantasy world. If criminals are known to look a certain way more often than not, then taking extra precautions when encountering someone who looks that way is the smart thing to do if you are concerned with your safety.

Intentionally ignoring potential threats or wasting resources on things that aren't threatening is perfectly in line with enlightened liberal thought. It's also stupid.

How many of those poor disadvantaged people that liberals are so concerned about could be helped with the money that goes into frisking grandma before she gets on a plane so as to avoid profiling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
He lives in the real world instead of in a fantasy world. If criminals are known to look a certain way more often than not, then taking extra precautions when encountering someone who looks that way is the smart thing to do if you are concerned with your safety.

Intentionally ignoring potential threats or wasting resources on things that aren't threatening is perfectly in line with enlightened liberal thought. It's also stupid.

How many of those poor disadvantaged people that liberals are so concerned about could be helped with the money that goes into frisking grandma before she gets on a plane so as to avoid profiling?
there are literally hundreds of millions of people in this nation who wear hoodies and tattoos who have never even seen the inside of a jail cell.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:40 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,414 times
I'm not surprise there are few people who didn't bother to listen to the interview but just the headlines and make comments that are out of context.

I knew what Cuban was trying to say. Most people rather look for a reason to be offended and miss the point entirely.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:14 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,613 times
I think Mark Cuban is missing the point as are most posting here.
Donald Sterling is not being punished for crossing the street to distance himself from some shady looking guy. He is not being punished for suggesting that he has/would do so.
He is a guy who has commited serious, substantive acts of discrimination. The facts of which came to light in the immediate aftermath of his rant being made public, which gave it an extra punch and is the reason he is being punished now. And as far a the rant itself, he is instructing his minority mistress to not be seen in public with minorities, as he perceives it as shameful. This bizarre request of his harkens to early 20th century racial thinking and is made even more perverse by the fact that she is herself is a minority (partially black in fact).

I dont think any bigotry in Cubans past is quite on that level of degenerate

Old 05-22-2014, 05:16 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
there are literally hundreds of millions of people in this nation who wear hoodies and tattoos who have never even seen the inside of a jail cell.
Hundreds of millions of people who wear hoodies and tattoos that haven't been in jail?? Do you know the population of the US?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:46 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
What's that called....

Yep...first impressions....

However, I agree with you. I also have tats....not on my face, but I have them.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I think Mark Cuban is missing the point as are most posting here.
Donald Sterling is not being punished for crossing the street to distance himself from some shady looking guy. He is not being punished for suggesting that he has/would do so.
He is a guy who has commited serious, substantive acts of discrimination. The facts of which came to light in the immediate aftermath of his rant being made public, which gave it an extra punch and is the reason he is being punished now. And as far a the rant itself, he is instructing his minority mistress to not be seen in public with minorities, as he perceives it as shameful. This bizarre request of his harkens to early 20th century racial thinking and is made even more perverse by the fact that she is herself is a minority (partially black in fact).

I dont think any bigotry in Cubans past is quite on that level of degenerate
The commissioner stated that sterling's punishment had NOTHING to do with the past...only what was stated and brought to light at that time....

Old 05-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Hundreds of millions of people who wear hoodies and tattoos that haven't been in jail?? Do you know the population of the US?
Im not saying hundreds of millions of people with both a face tattoo and a hoodie, but atleast one. my guess is the majority of the population of this country owns a hoodie.

Do you disagree ?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What's that called....

Yep...first impressions....

However, I agree with you. I also have tats....not on my face, but I have them.
I think that is the first time we have ever agreed ?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I think that is the first time we have ever agreed ?
You may be right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies