Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 06:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The amount in their financial statements just indicates they gave money to a 501c4. It doesn't tell the public that the money is being spent to influence elections.
It isn't their problem that people don't know what a 501c4 is.

Quote:
Its not whether or not my privacy is important; the law requires that donations to campaigns are public.
And every single penny to a campaign must be accounted for and documented. Nothing has ever changed here. I think you know this.

Quote:
Corporations and wealthy individuals are using these orgs to secretly influence elections without having to show that they are donating money and how much to influence elections.
Again, corporations can't secretly do anything. Every penny must be accounted for.

Quote:
The public is entitled to know that info.
Who did you work for? Who do you work for now? My point? How do we know that you don't work for someone paying you to try and influence the way people vote?

Why shouldn't we know?

Old 06-28-2014, 07:05 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It isn't their problem that people don't know what a 501c4 is.

And every single penny to a campaign must be accounted for and documented. Nothing has ever changed here. I think you know this.

Again, corporations can't secretly do anything. Every penny must be accounted for.

Who did you work for? Who do you work for now? My point? How do we know that you don't work for someone paying you to try and influence the way people vote?

Why shouldn't we know?
Again, this is not about corporations being responsible to shareholders.

It seemed very important to many people in these discussions the the IRS Commissioner gave thousands of dollars to Democrats. Don't recall if you were one of them. But, many people are basing their view of him on the fact that because he gave that money to Democrats hes too partisan to be trusted. They wouldn't even know that if the law did not require the orgs he gave money to to publish donor lists.

Now...suppose he gave all that money to a 501c4 called Democrats Educating America. You would not know because they are not required to publish their donor lists.

Most Americans imo want to know in the case of large amounts of money who is influencing elections.

If you believe that large corps and wealthy people are all of a sudden pouring millions and millions of dollars into these orgs to promote social welfare, well then I have a bridge to sell you. They are not. They are pouring millions into these orgs so they can give money to influence elections while they remain anonymous from the public for doing so.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:17 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Again it is objective fact that both liberal and conservative political organizations had their applications delayed.

No conservatives are suggesting it by focusing on Lois Lerner and pretending that her missing emails are the whole key to this phony scandal.

Which means Lois Lerner 2yrs before the scandal broke had co-conspirators damage the hard drive on her computer in such a way to get rid of the exact emails that conservatives elected officials are bamboozling rank and file conservatives into believing are the key to the whole case which can only be found on Lou's Lerner's email account. Which means conservatives believe that Lois Lerner's emails was organizing the whole thing at least in the IRS.

I'd say that is conservatives making Lois Lerner the master mind of the whole phony scandal.

And again what was this big conspiracy supposed to accomplish?

Delaying a few conservative and liberal organizations from getting tax exempt status to which they aren't entitled to receive.
Name one liberal group that had theirs delayed and had to supply a donor list to the IRS , then have everyone on the list put up for exam

Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Again, this is not about corporations being responsible to shareholders.

It seemed very important to many people in these discussions the the IRS Commissioner gave thousands of dollars to Democrats. Don't recall if you were one of them. But, many people are basing their view of him on the fact that because he gave that money to Democrats hes too partisan to be trusted. They wouldn't even know that if the law did not require the orgs he gave money to to publish donor lists.
I didn't participate in that because it's none of my business what others do with their money. But we seem to agree that corporations can't give hidden money.

Quote:
Now...suppose he gave all that money to a 501c4 called Democrats Educating America. You would not know because they are not required to publish their donor lists.
What he does with his money is his business. Just because someone supports a certain politician doesn't automatically mean they can not be fair in the responsibilities. With his testimony though, we see he can't. People should be judged on their actions, not their thoughts. He has failed in his actions.

Quote:
Most Americans imo want to know in the case of large amounts of money who is influencing elections.
How much are you being paid? How do I know it isn't a large amount?

Quote:
If you believe that large corps and wealthy people are all of a sudden pouring millions and millions of dollars into these orgs to promote social welfare, well then I have a bridge to sell you. They are not. They are pouring millions into these orgs so they can give money to influence elections while they remain anonymous from the public for doing so.
It's not my business what others do with their money. Maybe people should be more concerned with themselves as opposed to others.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I didn't participate in that because it's none of my business what others do with their money. But we seem to agree that corporations can't give hidden money.

What he does with his money is his business. Just because someone supports a certain politician doesn't automatically mean they can not be fair in the responsibilities. With his testimony though, we see he can't. People should be judged on their actions, not their thoughts. He has failed in his actions.

How much are you being paid? How do I know it isn't a large amount?

It's not my business what others do with their money. Maybe people should be more concerned with themselves as opposed to others.

No we don't agree. Corporations are now giving hidden money to 501c4's.

I agree with you that people can be fair no matter how much money they give to a certain party. But, many people want to know this information and they are entitled to know it imo.

How much I am paid or by whom is irrelevant. I'm not engaged in election activities designed to influence an election. This is a discussion forum on politics.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
No we don't agree. Corporations are now giving hidden money to 501c4's.
They can't hide money. That's illegal. Any penny they give a 501c4 is on their books.

Quote:
I agree with you that people can be fair no matter how much money they give to a certain party. But, many people want to know this information and they are entitled to know it imo.
If it makes no difference, why? And you are not entitled to know how others spend their own money. Where in the world did this idea ever come from? Are you willing to post your tax forms up here for all to see?

Quote:
How much I am paid or by whom is irrelevant. I'm not engaged in election activities designed to influence an election. This is a discussion forum on politics.
I am entitled to know for sure. Post them up.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
They can't hide money. That's illegal. Any penny they give a 501c4 is on their books.

If it makes no difference, why? And you are not entitled to know how others spend their own money. Where in the world did this idea ever come from? Are you willing to post your tax forms up here for all to see?

I am entitled to know for sure. Post them up.
We can agree to disagree.

Not sure what you think entitles you to my personal information, but I'm not giving you personal information.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I don't understand how people can stand by and defend this.

What if this were Countryside and Mozilla doing this regarding their mortgages ?
What if this were GM and Mary Barra doing this over the ignition mess ?

You betcha that it would not be so casually dismissed as "Oh well..sh*t happens".

But this is the FedGov here. We rely on the checks and balances to keep each branch honest and those checks and balances seem to be gone between the Executive branch and Legislative branch.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
We can agree to disagree.

Not sure what you think entitles you to my personal information, but I'm not giving you personal information.
You gave me the idea.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't understand how people can stand by and defend this.

What if this were Countryside and Mozilla doing this regarding their mortgages ?
What if this were GM and Mary Barra doing this over the ignition mess ?

You betcha that it would not be so casually dismissed as "Oh well..sh*t happens".

But this is the FedGov here. We rely on the checks and balances to keep each branch honest and those checks and balances seem to be gone between the Executive branch and Legislative branch.
I cant speak for others, but for myself I want more information. The checks and balances definitely seem to be in a bit of a shambles, but they haven't all played out yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies