Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 10:56 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well the store owner offered bad service and received negative response from it because the store owner chose to deny people service. That is how the free market works, don't like it, then become a fan of communism.
It is the store owners right to provide bad service.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:06 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is the store owners right to provide bad service.
And it is the customer's right to complain and tell others about this bad service, freedom goes both ways, kiddo.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:10 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
And it is the customer's right to complain and tell others about this bad service, freedom goes both ways, kiddo.
I agree. It is when government starts taking sides when I have a problem.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
This.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
This.

Yes. I'd have to agree. On a personal level, I think discriminating against someone simply because they're different or feel "icky" about it, is on the level of douchebaggery, but being that I support freedom of association, I'll defend their right to do so. I do not on the other hand have an issue with discriminating against someone if that person is in fact being a complete a-hole. In short, if you come into my business with an agenda (and in this sue happy vindictive society that we've become it does happen) I'll tell you to get lost! Make sense?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
So with this story you have no problem. Though I am fine with the government going after a business that breaks the law. I am sure you agree with that as well.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes. I'd have to agree. On a personal level, I think discriminating against someone simply because they're different or feel "icky" about it, is on the level of douchebaggery, but being that I support freedom of association, I'll defend their right to do so. I do not on the other hand have an issue with discriminating against someone if that person is in fact being a complete a-hole. In short, if you come into my business with an agenda (and in this sue happy vindictive society that we've become it does happen) I'll tell you to get lost! Make sense?
Not sure with your post, you are fine with a customer voicing their opinions about the negative service they received from a business?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Not sure with your post, you are fine with a customer voicing their opinions about the negative service they received from a business?

Sure. Just like I'm fine with the business owner running his or her business how they see fit. There is a lot of competition out there, so if you're going to limit your options, and deny services to people based on stereotypes, gender, sexual preference, or skin color, then someone else will be there to pick up the slack, and be happy to serve you. In short, you may not be in business very long. Free market baby.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
So with this story you have no problem. Though I am fine with the government going after a business that breaks the law. I am sure you agree with that as well.
There shouldn't be a law against refusing to serve anyone for any reason. If this bridal shop chooses to not make dresses for lesbians, left handed women, tall women, women who remind the shop owner of someone they don't like or for women the voices in their head tell them to not make dresses for...THEN SO BE IT.

If two lesbians get refused service on the basis of their sexual orientation and publicly denounce such a practice using their freedom of speech, good for them. They are saying nothing untrue, thus slanderous, so boycott and Twitter away. I will happily defend both their right to marry and freedom of speech, just as I will defend the bridal shop owner's freedom of association.

So long as Leviathan does not force either party into a behavior, I have no issue with this story. But if recent events are any barometer, Leviathan will apply force against the shop owner to do a thing they choose not to do, and then my problem arises.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,652 times
discriminating against someone because of who they choose to marry? doesn't seem very Godlike to me. i swear, so called "Christians" hate everybody. lmao. is that what they are teaching people at church nowadays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies