Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have seen bad reviews on social media from many different people for many different reasons. The first amendment applies to people who want to speak out against bad service too.
And you get to rally your community when you deem that it's time to put somebody out of business. Nice strategy. Why wait to be insulted by the shopkeeper? Just start bad mouthing anybody and everyone with whom you don't and will never see eye to eye with now. It's all subjective and if you say the service is bad then it must be so just because the homosexual community said so, eh?

Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
You don't understand... That sums up the gist of your postings rather succinctly.

As I consider myself not a, as you put it, “militant person” the answer you seek should be properly directed to the militant individual(s) that you have issues with, perhaps they will provide the answer that you seek.

Huh? You ask many questions in your replies virtually with everyone, why is that? Just to be annoying? You cop a tone as if you somehow think that because YOU asked a question that you are entitled or owed an answer of the context that is of what you want to hear or meeting with your approval. You are entitled and are owed nothing, from me in particular. Your question has already been answered. That you do not like or care for the answer you received, perhaps more likely did not expect or get what you wanted to hear, is just too bad. Here's a pointer for ya, if ya don't like the answers your gonna get, then don't ask the friggin question, dig?

I bet ya ask the question again...
So basically you feel the need to deny a minority group from being able to marry because it will somehow destroy the marriages of the majority....that makes no sense which is why same sex marriage is becoming legal in this country regardless if you want to admit that or not.

What other rights do you wish you could deny minority groups?

Old 08-18-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
They won't dare pick on the Muslims, just Christians. Like all bullies they target and pick on the weak or rather whom they incorrectly perceive to be weak.
If a Muslim business owner denies a customer business like this, I have no problem going after that Muslim business owner, so your statement is a fail.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:31 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I did no such thing. I did not pass any laws. I have never even been to PA. I am commenting on a thread on a forum and giving my opinion, just like you are. Don't like it? Too bad.
You don't own the store and yet you are telling them how they are to run it according to your sensibilities and not the store owners'. Let the free market handle itself without the social media blitz campaign and THEN you will see who truly is on your side and whom is not. According to you it should fail of its own accord. But that is too close to the concept of voting which you all are terrified of as you know that it won't always go your way so you must do all that you possibly can do to thwart, usurp and co-opt the will of the people so that your way and will gets imposed whether everybody likes it or not. Rather selfish.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
You don't own the store and yet you are telling them how they are to run it according to your sensibilities and not the store owners'. Let the free market handle itself without the social media blitz campaign and THEN you will see who truly is on your side and whom is not. According to you it should fail of its own accord. But that is too close to the concept of voting which you all are terrified of as you know that it won't always go your way so you must do all that you possibly can do to thwart, usurp and co-opt the will of the people so that your way and will gets imposed whether everybody likes it or not. Rather selfish.
The free market is handling itself here, customers are upset and they are voicing their opinion. Why do you have a problem with the free market working how it is suppose to?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:30 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
But why not just go to the myriad of stores that gladly seek the business of the homosexual? Is it just to make a statement picking on the handful of unwilling participants to the charade of homosexualized marriage whom of which you will never beat, bully, insult or ridicule into an unwilling compliance? Do you just like being mean to people? That is what the general population sees. They don't see two cute little girls in love with one another they see two mean spirited, nasty, ugly d*k*s trying to force somebody into doing something they don't want to do. You might succeed with sugar as your vinegar approach is workin against ya.
You just can't hold those goal posts still, can you?

In PA the store is acting withing the law in denying service. The couple is also acting within the law in speaking out against the business.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
And you get to rally your community when you deem that it's time to put somebody out of business. Nice strategy. Why wait to be insulted by the shopkeeper? Just start bad mouthing anybody and everyone with whom you don't and will never see eye to eye with now. It's all subjective and if you say the service is bad then it must be so just because the homosexual community said so, eh?
Were you under the impression that only the LGBT community uses the free market forces to their advantage? Take a look at the fundy groups that attempt the same thing.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
No one is telling the shop what to do. People are spreading the word about the shops policy. The shop owner should be happy at the advertisement of her policy, that way other LGBT people will know not to darken her door and so will their friends and family.

THAT is a perfect example of the free market at work.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:53 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted By JobZombie
Are you not rejoicing that you accomplished your goal of shutting down somebody who does not nor ever will agree with you? You all must be ecstatic. Keep in mind that the court of public opinion is squarely on the side of the shop keepers. Just some food for thought that the next little darlings should remember next time they set out to destroy someone's livelihood which I am sure they are just itching to do.

I like the First Amendment it shall remain as is especially the part about religion and the right to practice. The religion part is what bothers you though. Tough, deal with it.

AMENDMENT I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
They (the store owners) are selling an inanimate object, for the purchaser to decide to use as they see fit. In no way does that prohibit them from freely exercising their religion.

If they want to disapprove of gay marriage on religious grounds then by all means they should, as is their right - but a dress is a dress, and if being worn by someone else, then how does that effect THEIR beliefs in anyway at all? How does a dress someone else wears to said wedding infringe on the owner's religious freedom?

They have no standing to bestow their approval or lack thereof on their customers. It is not THEIR WEDDING.

Should a Catholic butcher not sell me meat in case I might plan to serve it on a Friday? If I did, would I then be stomping on his religious freedom to abstain?

Old 08-18-2014, 03:14 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And that would be an example of poor business practice. The first priority of a business is to make money and make a profit. But then again, we have plenty of examples of people who have no idea how to run a business, which is why we see businesses fail all the time.

I don't care if a business wants to deny customers, but I don't blame the customer when the business fails due to their own poor business choices.
All sorts of businesses choose not to absolutely maximize profits for various reasons --- closing on Sundays or certain holidays, choosing not to sell certain products, not investing in certain companies, and yes, some even pay higher wages than necessary to attract employees.

You're stuck on the false notion that every owner's 1st priority is always to maximize profit.

I don't personally know the owners of the Vermont resort that refused to host a lesbian wedding, but I'd bet they are happier people with less profit from wedding receptions than from compromising their beliefs.

In this case, I have no problem with the couple publicizing the incident. Let the chips fall where they may.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies