Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 10:11 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
But you didn't call out one particular person on it (did you?), knowing or hoping that it would have a significant impact professionally or personally on that person, disrupting their ability to provide for themselves and their family. Did you have an agenda of causing undue stress or hardship on one person by expressing your opinion or recounting the tale? I don't think so.

I'm all in favor of expressing opinions. I've done it thousands of time here on CD. The sense of "appropriate vs. inappropriate" has been lost in today's culture, replaced by sensationalism and a pervasive fascination with the inane.

"Social media" and cell phone cameras are two of the worst things to ever have been invented.

And let me be the first to wish you a Merry Christmas for this year.
Thanks.

and I respect your opinion. I have to think about what you just wrote. Thank you for your service for our country and thank you for your opinion. It does give me an opportunity to think things over.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you found a fingernail in your food, you might think to alert the press which people have done before.
Short of finding an identifiable body part or major organ in my food, I would take it up with the manager of the store, ask for my money back and go about my day. The only ones I might notify would be the Health Department. Of what interest would it be to the global audience reachable through FB or other social media. Let the authorities handle it, not the public at large. Get a life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If the shop owner didn't want to know these two women were lesbians, then they should have never asked. Denying customers business is bad for business. They could have sold two dresses that day.
Do you know that the proprietor initiated the conversation about these particular women's sexual preferences? Do you know that she didn't? I've never been asked by any business where my tastes lie in such areas.

The worst she can be reasonably be accused of is being a poor businesswoman. And if that's true, her business will naturally fail over time without the assistance or prodding of those with an agenda to change the world's attitudes through the use of coercion.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:56 AM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
Quote:
Understanding could be gained if and only if one acknowledges any degree of validity or authority on the part of the presenter. I think the presenters in these cases are a bunch of liberal wackadoodles pushing a societal agenda in conflict with mine.
Holding that belief will, in fact, retard your ability to learn.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:00 AM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Dude, you obviously then fail to believe the fallacy of your false propaganda that EVERYBODY wants homosexualized “marriage” otherwise you would embrace and welcome a vote as you have nothing to lose. Right? If everybody wants it then everybody would vote for it, would they not? They will not and have not and you know damn well that the public does NOT want homosexualized “marriage” so you are trying to do everything that you can, and failing, to subvert the will of the public who by the way is the very public that will either look upon two Q’s as “married” or instead as two perverted freaks that are pretending that they are a unification of the sexes.
Dude, I'm sorry you're not getting this.

The percentage of Americans who support SSM is very easy to find if you have Google. You can see that the numbers have been increasing over the last decade and have now passed into a majority of support, although it's not a huge majority.

But rights should not be up for a vote, period, full stop, end of story. I'd feel that way even if we have 99% support.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Holding that belief will, in fact, retard your ability to learn.
And a lack of having standards will impede yours. If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:20 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
But you didn't call out one particular person on it (did you?), knowing or hoping that it would have a significant impact professionally or personally on that person, disrupting their ability to provide for themselves and their family. Did you have an agenda of causing undue stress or hardship on one person by expressing your opinion or recounting the tale? I don't think so.

I've written bad reviews about doctors, restaurants, and shops. When the doctor who told me I had cancer had the bedside manner of Mengele, I wrote a negative review in hopes of helping out the next poor soul to get the diagnosis. Since I use Yelp to determine which restaurants, hotels, etc I frequent, I pay it forward by reviewing everywhere I eat and stay be it good, bad, or neutral. When a woman behind the deli counter at a grocery store came out to grab my mother and I's hands to pray with us (despite our very obvious Jewish jewelry and clear discomfort) and the store manager brushed us off, I wrote a negative review.

It's not my problem if my reviews and commentary cost a company their business. It's 2014 - the internet isn't a mystery. When you choose to act in the way the business owners did, you can't cry foul when your business is impacted. They made a business decision and they have to face the consequences of that decision.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:28 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
If an entrepreneur engages in a business which serves a public necessity, such as a hotel, than that business obviously has a duty to serve all customers (to the limits of its capacity) and not to discriminate between them under any criterion mandated by law I reserve my doubts about anything imposed on short notice by Presidential edict to pander to a collection of spoiled children.

But the "wedding industry" is, perhaps, the ultimate example of a business driven by whims and foibles. There is no element of "necessity" to it whatsoever.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-16-2014 at 11:39 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
When the doctor who told me I had cancer had the bedside manner of Mengele, I wrote a negative review in hopes of helping out the next poor soul to get the diagnosis.
I'd ask why you continued to engage a doctor of such dubious ability - and patient communication is part of that ability. Your fault.

Quote:
Since I use Yelp to determine which restaurants, hotels, etc I frequent, I pay it forward by reviewing everywhere I eat and stay be it good, bad, or neutral.
IMO, Yelp is of no real-world value as so many post facetious reviews there. And that's well known. Of course, if you're looking for drama or justification either way, that's just the place to go.

Quote:
When a woman behind the deli counter at a grocery store came out to grab my mother and I's hands to pray with us (despite our very obvious Jewish jewelry and clear discomfort) and the store manager brushed us off, I wrote a negative review.
Why did you allow her to do that? Why did you allow it to continue? And yes, you allowed it if she grabbed your hands and could continue to then begin praying without your hands being forcibly removed from her grasp. Then leave the premises if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, or speak with the manager about the assault which just occurred and pursue it with authorities if needed. Going to Yelp is a rather pu**y response.

Quote:
It's not my problem if my reviews and commentary cost a company their business.
See my comment about appropriate vs. inappropriate. Being a keyboard warrior is easy, isn't it? I'll bet you like the feeling of power that posting such reviews give you. Get out in the real world once in awhile (if Mom allows you to) and face people IRL.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:04 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
In fall fairness, I think it is media's fault to Sensationalize things. The two girls whose service has been turned down chose not to be identified. They obviously wanted to keep it low key.

The only thing they did is posting their experience on facebook "..put on hold for five minutes and the owner informed us that they only chose to do business with hetero sex couple." I found NOTHING wrong with this comment. Matter of fact, I think these two lesbians handled a possible discrimination incident with much dignity.

Words travel fast, their facebook message had gone viral. If there is anybody to blame I would say blame the media in this case Last time i checked, the bridal shop is still in business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu7qCKmZW8g

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-16-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 12:11 PM

52,273 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Don't people have anything better to do than worry about what other people are doing with or in their love lives.... I swear it's stuff like that that just turns me the hell off......It's part of what turns me off from the Republican party, I'm down with the fiscal conservative stuff and the personal responsibility mentality that the repubs seem to endorse, but the butting into people's bedroom aspect of that party just irks me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.