Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 12:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Freedom to serve or not serve whomever you wish is freedom.

Government mandating that you must serve all is tyranny.

I have a small business and do not discriminate based on anything except location.

Again, get back to me when halal meat stores are forced to sell pork.
AGAIN with the halal comparison? It's like trying to teach a goat the Dance of the Seven Veils. It's just not getting through.
Halal shops don't sell pork. They also don't sell camping equipment or computers or cat litter, so you can't whine if you can't buy these things in their shops.
Wedding dress stores on the other hand, SELL WEDDING DRESSES.
How is this so difficult to wrap your mind around?

Old 08-12-2014, 01:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
With gay people only making up 3% of the population, I don't think the invisble hand of commerce will be felt.
In a free market, competitors do anything and everything within their legal means to increase revenue, lower cost and be more profitable than the other guy.

If you are the competitor to the bridal shop that refuses to serve lesbians, and you declare via marketing that you are lesbian friendly, that's 1.5% (half the gay population being girls, assumed) of the market your discriminatory competitor has ceded to you. Assuming all other factors are equal, you now enjoy a slightly higher market share of the local bridal market.

Someone ALWAYS satisfies a demand if others will not. ALWAYS. If profit exists to be made, someone will make it. Guaranteed, every time.

I realize the gay community thinks if they cannot force one Christian shopkeeper to do a thing, that thing will disappear from the marketplace, but it won't. If a demand exists within any given market...SOMEONE WILL SUPPLY THE PRODUCT/SERVICE DEMANDED. It's as predictable as the Sun rising in the East.

Fostering/promoting competition and not bullying existing businesses, that's how discriminatory issues within the marketplace are resolved. Let the market operate as it chooses. And if the lesbian couple in question really wants dresses, they would find a competitor. that they choose instead to have the government play bully speaks not wanting a market demand satisfied, but a political/philosophical one.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:31 PM

969 posts, read 2,853,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
With gay people only making up 3% of the population, I don't think the invisble hand of commerce will be felt.
Oh - so we should protect only the majority among us?? So if "minorities" (by definition "less than the majority") are discriminated against - the rest of us should watch this go on until it affects my personal situation??

Um - nope.

Migrant farm workers were helped by the general public who BOYCOTTED lettuce & grapes that were grown by people who refused to pay a (barely) living wage. (Cesar Chavez wasn't a salad dressing)

Were you all born after the 1960's and never bothered to learn how social change happens?

How do you think you effect change??

Waiting till it is YOUR group who suffers from the "current" rules?

Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Fostering/promoting competition and not bullying existing businesses, that's how discriminatory issues within the marketplace are resolved. Let the market operate as it chooses. And if the lesbian couple in question really wants dresses, they would find a competitor. that they choose instead to have the government play bully speaks not wanting a market demand satisfied, but a political/philosophical one.
You call it bullying but I call it protesting. What we are seeing today isn't much different than what happened during the civil rights movement. The Woolworth sit-ins is a good example, it brought attention to the matter and they were forced to change their policy. Sure they could have gone somewhere else to eat but they shouldn't have to. Future generations will look back at the gay rights movement much like we look back at the civil rights movement. It's already happening, you can fight it, but you can't stop it.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think "pushing homosexual agenda" is this case.
Bullying and forcing people into selling you a friggin dress IS pushing the homosexual agenda otherwise these darlings would go elsewhere. Ruining somebody’s livelihood in social media is pushing the homosexual agenda. Just leave decent people alone and go somewhere else.

Last edited by JobZombie; 08-12-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 08:44 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
This reminds me of back in the day when Blacks held a sit-in at a Woolworth's lunch counter.

History repeats itself.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Bullying and forcing people into selling you a friggin dress IS pushing the gay agenda otherwise these darlings would go elsewhere. Ruining somebody’s livelihood in social media is pushing the gay agenda. Just lave decent people alone and go somewhere else.
Oh please.
Refuse to sell the dress to her is pushing the religious agenda. Getting mad at her for sharing her experience on social media is bullying and drama queen behavior.

Like I said so many times, every action, there is a reaction.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
The shop keeper..
...Had the misfortune of having these diabolical lesbians darken her door and because they were not sold a dress the business must be destroyed and the owner unable to put food on the table. All over a dress. In the warped sick twisted mind of the homosexual this is somehow considered fair. Folks sympathize with the ruined business owner and do not look kindly on the lesbians that didn’t get a dress.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Bullying and forcing people into selling you a friggin dress IS pushing the gay agenda otherwise these darlings would go elsewhere. Ruining somebody’s livelihood in social media is pushing the gay agenda. Just lave decent people alone and go somewhere else.
Nobody FORCED anybody to sell the dress to her. She just wanted to share her experience on social media. That's all. What a funny way to play victim card!

My family owns several retail stores in the shopping mall. I can open a shop to ONLY serve the veterans. It is my legal right. But I cannot choose to only do business with the Marines, and get mad at the soldiers when they call me a bigot. LOL

Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
The full circle will be completed,
When the homosexuals go ELSEWHERE and stop trying to force the lost battle of 100% compliance. At that point in time you might start to gain some friends and allies but based on current behavior and attitudes that is exceptionally not ever to be a likely or even remotely possible event occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies