Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 06:03 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

More details, the husband indicated she was a very responsible individual. Idaho allows concealed carry in most public places, not a great idea they were lucky no one else was shot.

Idaho woman accidentally shot and killed by 2-year-old in Wal-Mart | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 06:04 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's the accidental shootings that concern me the most, not just for myself but for friends and family.

Here's just some of the items from today's news, in addition to the shooting which is the subject of this thread.

-- A 10-year-old was accidentally shot in the leg when his father was cleaning a gun that had not been unloaded, police said. Greenwood boy hurt in accidental shooting | WISH-TV

-- Around 11:50 p.m. Saturday, Middletown police responded to the 2000 block of Queen Avenue for reports of two people shot. Middletown Police Lt. Scott Reeve said a group of friends were looking at a gun that one of the friends had just gotten when James Terrell, 35, of Middletown, accidentally shot himself in the hand. “He (Terrell) didn’t think it was loaded,” Reeve said. “He has told us the first time he pulled the trigger he had his hand on the muzzle … and he pulled the trigger and nothing happened. He backed his hand off and pulled again and a bullet went through his hand and into his friend that was sitting next to him.” The bullet traveled through Terrell’s hand and hit the stomach of Aaron T. Johnson, 27, of Monroe. Both men were taken to Atrium Medical Center where Johnson later died, police said. Monroe man killed in accidental shooting | www.journal-news.com

-- 10-year-old killed in accidental shooting in DeKalb County - CBS46 News

-- 4-Year-Old Dies Following Accidental Shooting

-- Teen injured in shooting at gun range
All preventable! Safety first!

Old 12-31-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
A gun is nothing more than a tool, when gun nuts stop acting like a gun is their ticket to being superheros, then maybe we would have a real dialogue about real gun safety and real gun regulations.
If true gun safety were practiced none of these incidents would have occurred. When you involve the human factor, accidents will happen and no one can protect against human stupidity. If these 2 rules were practiced, almost all accidents are preventable.
1) Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. (a gun can't fire itself).

2) Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

You just can't protect against stupidity.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Technically one needs to get a license to be able to drive a car on public roads, maybe he is suggesting that to own a gun one needs to have a license.
And that does absolutely nothing to address the stupidity issue.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:26 AM

46,312 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlife78

You are intentionally being a bit dishonest here, the woman was visiting the Panhandle, she is from eastern Idaho, so she is still from the same state.

Second, why are gun nuts so afraid of gun safety laws? If one is too dumb to pass a gun safety law, then that person should be denied a gun.
Why do you anti gunners cherry pick stories like this and say see see see...more guns laws....that's what we need.....

Old 12-31-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Guns go off accidentally all the time due to many reasons. I think it is ironic that we have so many concealed carriers when our crime rate has never been lower and has steadily declined for almost 20 years.

This is the result of the gun panic of 2 years ago. I live in the same state where this tragedy occurred, and it is the 3rd incident of accidental discharge since early fall. One incident was a college teacher whose concealed gun went off while he was teaching class and shot him in the foot. The second incident came from when a concealed gun was accidentally dropped and went off in a store when it hit the floor.

I fully expect to see more incidents coming. Sooner or later, an innocent bystander will be killed, and there will be a whopping lawsuit that follows. I expect that will chill a few of the paranoids out. Being in the wrong place when a criminal is involved is going to be much more rare than incidents like this. I dread the day when two concealed carriers shoot it out with each other and kill everyone around them. It's going to happen. I hope I'm not there, or anyone I know.
Guns don't go off by themselves, and a gun should not go off when dropped on the floor, if it does, then it is defective and should be repaired.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:40 AM

1,438 posts, read 779,837 times
I can understand people wanting to have a gun in their house for personal protection. My dad did as I was growing up and still does. However I don't understand people who can't think of going to a grocery store or a resturant without carrying a gun. Are people that paranoid of everything? Is crime that out of control in Idaho that carrying a gun to Wal-Mart is a necessary thing?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
You are intentionally being a bit dishonest here, the woman was visiting the Panhandle, she is from eastern Idaho, so she is still from the same state.

Second, why are gun nuts so afraid of gun safety laws? If one is too dumb to pass a gun safety law, then that person should be denied a gun.
I hate to see any more regulations, but tend to agree with at least minimum training for first time gun owners. And BTW, there are plenty of gun safety courses available to those who want them.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:45 AM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Motor vehicles are used as weapons frequently. Yet, most people just fluff it off and blame the driver for being crazy or a sicko. Women being the worst perps. What's up with all you chicks trying to run people over?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well if you take away their little bang-bangs they'll be too afraid to leave the house; how will they fill their moon pie and skittles cravings?

If you're that afraid of your surroundings you need to be strapped to go shopping; what about that is characteristic of either 'free' or 'brave' ?
Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies