Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 10:24 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,077,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
So killing your Mother is bad but burning and disfiguration of the child or his brother or sister after accessing a lighter is Ok. Shoving a Nail File in your Eye or Ear is Fine. Overdosing on medication that was not in a child proof bottle or package are fine with you just as long as they scary gun doesn't get touched?

It is ok take a deep breath. The Scary Gun has been arrested and is in evidence now. It will most likely be destroyed so it can't scare or shoot anyone else.
What are you talking about. The fact is a child shot his mother. When did someone disfigure a child by a lighter or shove a nail file in their eye and kill them??? I don't need to take a deep breath nor do I think guns are scary lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 10:24 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Honestly, I never ever thought about guns being my birthright. Yes, we had guns in the house because my dad was cia but they were always out of sight. In fact we didn't give it a second thought and no one in my family had a fascination about them. Maybe they were on the top shelf or something but we just weren't interested.
Your father practiced proper gun safety by keeping the gun out of reach of children. It's too bad this woman didn't do the same.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:25 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
the scariest part is that the baby could have shot himself or some other bystander. so disturbing.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:27 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
What's with walmart parking lots and accidents. Some redneck accidentally blew his penis off in a walmart parking lot not too long ago as well.

can anyone say natural selection............
doesn't seem like this happens too much at Target

Old 12-30-2014, 10:29 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
loaded gun in an open purse while shopping in a public store?
im sorry she is dead but poor gun control at best not to mention public and child endangerment.
This woman was forced to make a decision whether to risk going to a Walmart unarmed in a place like Hayden, Idaho versus the very small chance of being shot by a 2 year old.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:34 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,327,801 times
can someone explain to me how a 2yr old can fire a gun?

was the gun still in the purse when fired or did this kid pick up the gun and fire?

what 2yr old has the hand strength to squeeze a trigger?

THEN whats the possibility that the kid kills his mom with ONE shot?

Do you know how difficult it is to kill someone instantly with ONE shot ??

WTF??? somethings off here

Old 12-30-2014, 10:39 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This woman was forced to make a decision whether to risk going to a Walmart unarmed in a place like Hayden, Idaho versus the very small chance of being shot by a 2 year old.
How was she forced. She made a conscious decision to carry it. And Hayden isn't exactly the crime world.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:41 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
This is what I am afraid of. More people are walking around with their precious weapons and there will be more accidents where innocent people will get shot and possibly killed. I am betting this woman's husband pushed her to get her license so she can carry and protect herself. A lot of good that did.

RIP.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:46 PM

274 posts, read 239,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
That much is clear.

You extrapolated quite a bit from my comments. None of which was intended. You should argue with what I say, not with what I say in your imaginary debate with me. But since you're just itching to argue about this:

1. Nobody that advocates for stricter gun laws says they will lead to zero deaths by firearms.
Sure they do. They repeat this all the time. Oh, If only... We had a Database, We had a Curfew, We had a Clue. [Forgive me it was hard to resist throwing the last bit on there about a "Clue".]

Quote:
2. Stricter controls of alcohol for minors and stricter anti DUI laws have undoubtedly been effective at saving lives. The fact that they are not 100% effective does not make them a failure. No law ever passed, even under the most authoritarian of governments has been 100% effective.
As have background checks and a Government Agency solely for the regulation of the manufacture, sale, and use of Firearms.

Quote:
3. South Africa might be the toughest place in the world to get a driver's license due to the fact that they have a ridiculously difficult driver's test. So most driver's drive without one. It's also one of the unsafest places in the world to drive a car that isn't an active war zone. So again, although the proper training and licensing of drivers does not lead to 0 fatality auto accidents, it definitely makes driving safer.
So I suppose we should only abide by the rules we find reasonable? Nothing like making claims on statistics without citing sources Chef. You may still be right but maybe we can just have a look at your source.

For example Wikipedia has this to say about South Africa's Homicide Rate:

Murder

Around 50 people are murdered in South Africa each day.The murder rate has increased by an order of magnitude in South Africa during the last 40 years though it has fallen from 66.9 per 100,000 people in 1994–95 to 37.3 in 2008–09.From 2003–2009, crime decreased significantly according to official police data. Between 1994 and 2009, the murder rate reduced by 50% to 34 murders per 100,000 people. The annual crime statistics released in 2011 show a continuing downward trend, except for rape, which went up by 2.1%. Business Against Crime attributed the reduction to improvements in the criminal justice system and policing. There have been numerous press reports on the manipulation of crime statistics that have highlighted the existence of incentives not to record violent crimeNonetheless, murder statistics are considered accurate. The country's murder rate started increasing again in 2013/2014.

Must be all the South Africans were so busy driving without a license [according to you] they slowed down their rate of Homicide. Looks like they have reconsidered whether they should rededicate themselves to Homicides though recently even given that they have some of the most Stringent Gun Laws.

Well hold on... What is this Wikipedia may have an idea why Driving has taken a back seat to Homicide these days?

Car hijackings

South Africa also has a high record of car hijackings when compared with industrialised countries. A South African insurance company, Hollard Insurance, stated in 2007 that they would no longer insure Volkswagen Citi Golfs manufactured in the previous two years as they were one of the most frequently hijacked vehicles in South Africa. Certain high-risk areas are marked with road signs indicating a high incidence of car hi-jackings within the locality.

Maybe it wasn't their Love of all things Automotive that has them looking for other hobbies, over in "one of the unsafest places in the world to drive a car that isn't an active war zone."

All this back and forth is fun but to prevent future confusion between us I think I should point out that, "I Don't care what they do in "Fill in the Country". I live in America and I am an American. I trust the rest of the world knows what they need and I respect whatever they should decide if I happen to Travel to their Country.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Innocent people are having their rights stripped. Are you for denying rights because of fear of what might happen?

Apparently you can't see that under the right circumstances, with the right administration, that some time from now, that confiscation could be on the table. On a state level it's already happening. You are probably picturing a national sweep of the country, and thinking it can't happen. If it happens, it will be incremental.
Yes, I am all for denying stupid people from being able to have a gun without proper safety training so that stupid people don't get shot by a 2yr old for being stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies