Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
It's too late for her to take your advice. She's already dead. And even if she weren't, what are the odds she would be reading what you wrote? She would probably get bored and stop at "it should not be mandated."

Republicans want our society to be saturated with guns. Compared to that, nothing else matters to them. From their point of view, everyone dies and gets judged by God, so it doesn't really matter if you get shot today or live to be 90. To them it's all the same. And the more people get shot, the less traffic there will be.
If she was legally carrying with a CCW, then she already took the safety course. If not, then she was illegally carrying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 PM

274 posts, read 239,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
We as a country do a p*ss poor job and pushing gun safety and it shows.

No we as a Country do a p*ss poor job on pushing common sense and personal accountability and it shows.

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailhead View Post
Why would anyone keep a loaded gun within reaching distance of a 2 year old??? If you do have handguns and toddlers, at least have enough sense to have a 12 pound trigger pull

That is just plain stupid. At least the kid didn't shoot himself, that would have been worse.
What drives a mother to take a fully loaded gun to the store with her 2 year old, if there is more to this I would understand but yet another example of the proliferation of guns to those who are unqualified to own one.

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
My reaction to this tragic incident is that the woman was utterly irresponsible. As it happens, she paid with her life. But it could easily have been someone else who had the misfortune to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unfortunately, you cannot combat stupidity whether it be with a gun or with a car or any other object that can be deadly in the hands of an idiot.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 PM

44 posts, read 45,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What drives a mother to take a fully loaded gun to the store with her 2 year old, if there is more to this I would understand but yet another example of the proliferation of guns to those who are unqualified to own one.
Stupidity?

If you have a small child why would you keep a gun with a round chambered?? Plain stupid.

It literally takes me less than one second to chamber a round. That .05 seconds is not going to make a difference.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Want safely secure but still available for protection?

All our loaded hand guns are in combination lock safes around our home.

Before you ask why loaded and around the house...

Texas Crew Arrested in String of Home Invasions Targeting Asian-Indian Families in New Jersey | NBC New York

BTW, even in the safe, none are cocked.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:21 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
She made a fatal mistake. Allowing the firearm where a child could access it cost her her life. How do you deem someone qualified? She already had to pass a safety course if she was legally carrying.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:23 PM

274 posts, read 239,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Interesting. So you hold that the streets would be better if we suspended license and insurance requirements? Got a source for that?

As I said early on. This death is clearly collateral damage. There are lots of collateral damage deaths from automobiles. But the general view is that we live with those deaths for the good we get from automobiles.

Why are you gunnies resistant to making the same point on hand gun ownership?

I am not recommending we suspend the license and registering of Automobiles. Driving is not a Constitutionally protected right. I hold the streets would be the streets whether we license drivers and require them to have insurance or not. How many people Drive with no license and no insurance now? You would be surprised. No, I prefer the tactic that those who have a fear of Guns prefer. Just legislate Cars away completely. I mean we are all negligent and irresponsible right. The only safe way to protect us all from the tragic deaths caused by Automobiles is to only allow the Police, Firemen, and Military to own and operate them.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
The odds of being killed by that gun you think you're going to use to protect you are far greater than the odds you'll actually use it to defend yourself.

I feel some pity for the woman, but she made her choice. The child? He is blameless. But one day, he will find out what happened to his mother. And it will haunt him. And he fill inevitably feel guilt, even though he is in no way at fault.

Not only did this woman cause her child to become mother-less, she laid a massive guilt-trip on him that will last the rest of his life.

I feel tremendous pity for the child.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:26 PM

44 posts, read 45,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Want safely secure but still available for protection?

All our loaded hand guns are in combination lock safes around our home.

Before you ask why loaded and around the house...

Texas Crew Arrested in String of Home Invasions Targeting Asian-Indian Families in New Jersey | NBC New York

BTW, even in the safe, none are cocked.
With proper training you can load your gun pretty fast. At the range I can unholster, load a magazine, and chamber a round in 2 seconds flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies