Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 07:16 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times

Advertisements

I hope that kid is not white and the mom black......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:17 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well then there you have it, the solution is to do nothing. Gun safety? Who cares about that, it would infringe an idiot's right to own a gun.
You just called over 100 million people idiots just because they want to preserve the right to protect themselves. How elitist of you.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:17 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Guns go off accidentally all the time due to many reasons. I think it is ironic that we have so many concealed carriers when our crime rate has never been lower and has steadily declined for almost 20 years.

This is the result of the gun panic of 2 years ago. I live in the same state where this tragedy occurred, and it is the 3rd incident of accidental discharge since early fall. One incident was a college teacher whose concealed gun went off while he was teaching class and shot him in the foot. The second incident came from when a concealed gun was accidentally dropped and went off in a store when it hit the floor.

I fully expect to see more incidents coming. Sooner or later, an innocent bystander will be killed, and there will be a whopping lawsuit that follows. I expect that will chill a few of the paranoids out. Being in the wrong place when a criminal is involved is going to be much more rare than incidents like this. I dread the day when two concealed carriers shoot it out with each other and kill everyone around them. It's going to happen. I hope I'm not there, or anyone I know.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:18 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
First of all, the lady was visiting, she's not from that area.

Second, we don't do away with people's rights just because some people are stupid. You don't make a bunch of laws because a small percentage does themselves in. That's the problem with liberals, one person does something, they want to pass a law, forgetting that a huge percentage of people have NO ISSUES with doing things the right way.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:18 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Cars are registered and drivers are licensed.
And cars are insured.
Might work for guns too.
They wouldn't have to be registered and licensed if there was a right to own a car and drive. As we have all been trained it is a privilege to drive that can be taken away.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
You just called over 100 million people idiots just because the want to preserve the right to protect themselves. How elitist of you.
Are you saying that there are 100 million Americans that don't care about gun safety? If so, then yes I am a safety elitist.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's the accidental shootings that concern me the most, not just for myself but for friends and family.

Here's just some of the items from today's news, in addition to the shooting which is the subject of this thread.

-- A 10-year-old was accidentally shot in the leg when his father was cleaning a gun that had not been unloaded, police said. Greenwood boy hurt in accidental shooting | WISH-TV

-- Around 11:50 p.m. Saturday, Middletown police responded to the 2000 block of Queen Avenue for reports of two people shot. Middletown Police Lt. Scott Reeve said a group of friends were looking at a gun that one of the friends had just gotten when James Terrell, 35, of Middletown, accidentally shot himself in the hand. “He (Terrell) didn’t think it was loaded,” Reeve said. “He has told us the first time he pulled the trigger he had his hand on the muzzle … and he pulled the trigger and nothing happened. He backed his hand off and pulled again and a bullet went through his hand and into his friend that was sitting next to him.” The bullet traveled through Terrell’s hand and hit the stomach of Aaron T. Johnson, 27, of Monroe. Both men were taken to Atrium Medical Center where Johnson later died, police said. Monroe man killed in accidental shooting | www.journal-news.com

-- 10-year-old killed in accidental shooting in DeKalb County - CBS46 News

-- 4-Year-Old Dies Following Accidental Shooting

-- Teen injured in shooting at gun range
And how many millions of Americans did not have an issue with a gun today?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
They wouldn't have to be registered and licensed if there was a right to own a car and drive. As we have all been trained it is a privilege to drive that can be taken away.
Good point. New Second addendum. Cars are as important as arms and the right to keep qnd use automobiles cannot be infringed?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
First of all, the lady was visiting, she's not from that area.

Second, we don't do away with people's rights just because some people are stupid. You don't make a bunch of laws because a small percentage does themselves in. That's the problem with liberals, one person does something, they want to pass a law, forgetting that a huge percentage of people have NO ISSUES with doing things the right way.
You are intentionally being a bit dishonest here, the woman was visiting the Panhandle, she is from eastern Idaho, so she is still from the same state.

Second, why are gun nuts so afraid of gun safety laws? If one is too dumb to pass a gun safety law, then that person should be denied a gun.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:30 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
its so easy a 2 year old cave man can do it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies