Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 10:00 PM

274 posts, read 239,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
That much is clear.

You extrapolated quite a bit from my comments. None of which was intended. You should argue with what I say, not with what I say in your imaginary debate with me. But since you're just itching to argue about this:

1. Nobody that advocates for stricter gun laws says they will lead to zero deaths by firearms.

2. Stricter controls of alcohol for minors and stricter anti DUI laws have undoubtedly been effective at saving lives. The fact that they are not 100% effective does not make them a failure. No law ever passed, even under the most authoritarian of governments has been 100% effective.

3. South Africa might be the toughest place in the world to get a driver's license due to the fact that they have a ridiculously difficult driver's test. So most driver's drive without one. It's also one of the unsafest places in the world to drive a car that isn't an active war zone. So again, although the proper training and licensing of drivers does not lead to 0 fatality auto accidents, it definitely makes driving safer.

Show me one person killed by the First Amendment.
Google search Person killed and look for such phrases as "In Domestic Altercation", "Work Place Argument", Road Rage Incident". These are just a few examples where people were exercising First Amendment rights of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression.

You seem like a nice enough person. Heck we may even have things we can agree on the facts do not appear to be on that list unfortunately.

Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 10:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do we really need the government doing the parents job again?
Being that owning a firearm is a birthright as an american, on US soil, parents need to teach their kids all about guns up close and personal. When they turn 18, or even before at a friends house, they really already need to know all about firearms, or it may just be a toy to them, especially if they go buy one.

Mother nature has a good way of culling the stupid. This sounds like the perfect case.
I still cannot see a 2 yo. pulling the trigger, unless mom was behind them and the kid pulled the trigger with both thumbs, missing themselves.
Maybe it shouldn't be, plenty of Americans have proven they are to stupid to own a firearm. You can't see a 2 yr old pulling a trigger, yet a dead mom says that it can happen.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
That wasn't nature, guns are intelligently designed.

You subscribe to the theory of Intelligent design? I find this entertaining to say the least.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
Google search Person killed and look for such phrases as "In Domestic Altercation", "Work Place Argument", Road Rage Incident". These are just a few examples where people were exercising First Amendment rights of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression.

You seem like a nice enough person. Heck we may even have things we can agree on the facts do not appear to be on that list unfortunately.

Happy New Year!
A person who assaults another person is not exercising their 1st Amendment rights, they are committing a crime.

A person who assaults another person because they don't like how the victim expressed his/herself is not committing a crime because of the 1st Amendment, the perpetrator is committing a crime because the perpetrator is a complete idiot.

A person who incites others to commit crimes against 3rd parties is not exercising his/her 1st Amendment rights as incitement to violence is not covered under the 1st Amendment.

And Happy New Year to you as well, may it be a good one.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
History shows that is exactly what has happened in the past. Currently in California, if you are going through divorce, no matter how amicable, a document similar to a restraining order is issued. Because of registration there, guns are being confiscated in these circumstances. After hurricane Katrina, cops went door to door confiscating. Have you heard the rhetoric of some of our lawmakers stating that if they could, they would confiscate every gun in America? Clearly you don't know or want to know about the realities of the extremist anti gunners.
Good for California, I am sure that has reduced the numbers of domestic violence ending in death by gun. As for Katrina, those officers were in the wrong and did so out of confusion. No one is gonna come and take your guns away, such a funny fear that gun nuts have, but at least it helps the gun industry.

Maybe gun nuts should run out and buy more guns, clearly toddlers are dangerous and we should be armed to protect ourselves from dangerous toddlers.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:08 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
You subscribe to the theory of Intelligent design? I find this entertaining to say the least.

Happy New Year!
It was a joke in response to Benbow's reference to Darwin.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Again, this is what is wrong with this country, we are always going to be anti-safety when it comes to firearms because people will always have this fear that the government will someday come for their guns.
After all it is not as though Humanity has thousands of years of History documenting such practices. Right?

I could give you several recent ones but I am sure Google works for you the same it does for me no.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do we really need the government doing the parents job again?
Being that owning a firearm is a birthright as an american, on US soil, parents need to teach their kids all about guns up close and personal. When they turn 18, or even before at a friends house, they really already need to know all about firearms, or it may just be a toy to them, especially if they go buy one.

Mother nature has a good way of culling the stupid. This sounds like the perfect case.
I still cannot see a 2 yo. pulling the trigger, unless mom was behind them and the kid pulled the trigger with both thumbs, missing themselves.
Honestly, I never ever thought about guns being my birthright. Yes, we had guns in the house because my dad was cia but they were always out of sight. In fact we didn't give it a second thought and no one in my family had a fascination about them. Maybe they were on the top shelf or something but we just weren't interested.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh please, you are comparing these items to having a gun in your purse. That's pretty insane lol How exactly would a 2 year old kill their mother with an ink pen, nail file or lighter that they found in her purse. But absolutely you should keep all medications out of the reach of children.

So killing your Mother is bad but burning and disfiguration of the child or his brother or sister after accessing a lighter is Ok. Shoving a Nail File in your Eye or Ear is Fine. Overdosing on medication that was not in a child proof bottle or package are fine with you just as long as they scary gun doesn't get touched?

It is ok take a deep breath. The Scary Gun has been arrested and is in evidence now. It will most likely be destroyed so it can't scare or shoot anyone else.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Good for California, I am sure that has reduced the numbers of domestic violence ending in death by gun. As for Katrina, those officers were in the wrong and did so out of confusion. No one is gonna come and take your guns away, such a funny fear that gun nuts have, but at least it helps the gun industry.

Maybe gun nuts should run out and buy more guns, clearly toddlers are dangerous and we should be armed to protect ourselves from dangerous toddlers.
Innocent people are having their rights stripped. Are you for denying rights because of fear of what might happen?

Apparently you can't see that under the right circumstances, with the right administration, that some time from now, that confiscation could be on the table. On a state level it's already happening. You are probably picturing a national sweep of the country, and thinking it can't happen. If it happens, it will be incremental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies