Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 10:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Maybe it shouldn't be, plenty of Americans have proven they are to stupid to own a firearm. You can't see a 2 yr old pulling a trigger, yet a dead mom says that it can happen.

The mom is dead because she was too stupid... Culling the idiots one at a time, from their own mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 10:56 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
Sure they do. They repeat this all the time. Oh, If only... We had a Database, We had a Curfew, We had a Clue. [Forgive me it was hard to resist throwing the last bit on there about a "Clue".]
No, no, no. If it's so clear-cut, you can provide me with a solid example.

Quote:
As have background checks and a Government Agency solely for the regulation of the manufacture, sale, and use of Firearms.
lol

1. The NRA has already bragged about having helped write our gun control laws.

2. There is a huge background check loophole.

3. Guns are not nearly as regulated as driving in this country. They're not even close.

Quote:
So I suppose we should only abide by the rules we find reasonable? Nothing like making claims on statistics without citing sources Chef. You may still be right but maybe we can just have a look at your source.

For example Wikipedia has this to say about South Africa's Homicide Rate:

Murder

Around 50 people are murdered in South Africa each day.The murder rate has increased by an order of magnitude in South Africa during the last 40 years though it has fallen from 66.9 per 100,000 people in 1994–95 to 37.3 in 2008–09.From 2003–2009, crime decreased significantly according to official police data. Between 1994 and 2009, the murder rate reduced by 50% to 34 murders per 100,000 people. The annual crime statistics released in 2011 show a continuing downward trend, except for rape, which went up by 2.1%. Business Against Crime attributed the reduction to improvements in the criminal justice system and policing. There have been numerous press reports on the manipulation of crime statistics that have highlighted the existence of incentives not to record violent crimeNonetheless, murder statistics are considered accurate. The country's murder rate started increasing again in 2013/2014.

Must be all the South Africans were so busy driving without a license [according to you] they slowed down their rate of Homicide. Looks like they have reconsidered whether they should rededicate themselves to Homicides though recently even given that they have some of the most Stringent Gun Laws.

Well hold on... What is this Wikipedia may have an idea why Driving has taken a back seat to Homicide these days?

Car hijackings

South Africa also has a high record of car hijackings when compared with industrialised countries. A South African insurance company, Hollard Insurance, stated in 2007 that they would no longer insure Volkswagen Citi Golfs manufactured in the previous two years as they were one of the most frequently hijacked vehicles in South Africa. Certain high-risk areas are marked with road signs indicating a high incidence of car hi-jackings within the locality.

Maybe it wasn't their Love of all things Automotive that has them looking for other hobbies, over in "one of the unsafest places in the world to drive a car that isn't an active war zone."

All this back and forth is fun but to prevent future confusion between us I think I should point out that, "I Don't care what they do in "Fill in the Country". I live in America and I am an American. I trust the rest of the world knows what they need and I respect whatever they should decide if I happen to Travel to their Country.

Happy New Year!

None of this has anything to do with what I said. Who was talking about crime in South Africa? I was talking their driving laws and road accidents and you talk about homicide and car jackings.

And say you don't care about other countries all you want, but that's a cop-out. General principles of civilized societies don't magically change when they get to 'Murica. That's just you running away, tail firmly tucked between your legs because as your post here shows, you clearly don't have an answer for anything I said except to change the subject and suddenly proclaim what happens elsewhere doesn't mean anything here.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The mom is dead because she was too stupid... Culling the idiots one at a time, from their own mistake.
And now her child will have to live with its mother's stupidity. Is that right for the child and its family to have to live with? If the mother knew gun safety, she would be alive and her child wouldn't be without a mother now.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:59 PM

274 posts, read 239,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
A person who assaults another person is not exercising their 1st Amendment rights, they are committing a crime.
What do you suppose provoked the Violence? Freedom of Speech. Freedom of Expression. It will get you killed. It shouldn't but yes my friend it will and it is happening somewhere as we speak unfortunately. Just the same I will take my chances and keep exercising my rights.

Quote:
A person who assaults another person because they don't like how the victim expressed his/herself is not committing a crime because of the 1st Amendment, the perpetrator is committing a crime because the perpetrator is a complete idiot.
Really? Again you choose to ignore the fact that inflammatory speech is free speech and most not all of the time is a component of the escalation which resulted in the attack/murder.

Quote:
A person who incites others to commit crimes against 3rd parties is not exercising his/her 1st Amendment rights as incitement to violence is not covered under the 1st Amendment.
There is a President and a few Reverends as well as at least one mayor who would strongly disagree with you.

Quote:
And Happy New Year to you as well, may it be a good one.

Thank You I am certainly hoping it is an improvement over this Year. But hey, I have my health, The Internet and this Forum and get to debate freely with people who can agree to disagree. A sincere Thank You.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:03 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:
What do you suppose provoked the Violence? Freedom of Speech. Freedom of Expression. It will get you killed. It shouldn't but yes my friend it will and it is happening somewhere as we speak unfortunately. Just the same I will take my chances and keep exercising my rights.
Not liking what someone says is not a legitimate reason to commit a violent act. The law will not let you off the hook if just say "I punched Bob because he said something that made me mad." The speech is not at fault, the perpetrator of the crime is at fault.

Quote:
Really? Again you choose to ignore the fact that inflammatory speech is free speech and most not all of the time is a component of the escalation which resulted in the attack/murder.
Inflammatory speech is free speech. But it does not justify violence according to the law.

Quote:
There is a President and a few Reverends as well as at least one mayor who would strongly disagree with you.
I doubt it.

Quote:
Thank You I am certainly hoping it is an improvement over this Year. But hey, I have my health, The Internet and this Forum and get to debate freely with people who can agree to disagree. A sincere Thank You.
A sincere you're welcome and I truly hope you do see improvement this coming year and enjoy continued good health. In spite of our disagreements, you seem like a very nice person, and I take nothing you've said personally and mean to give you no personal offense.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What are you talking about. The fact is a child shot his mother. When did someone disfigure a child by a lighter or shove a nail file in their eye and kill them??? I don't need to take a deep breath nor do I think guns are scary lol
You asked me to give you a break with regard to my inclusion of the other dangerous, potentially fatal items that can be found in a Woman's Pocketbook as though you saw no danger in those being accessible. So that was my point. Everyone enjoys beating down Guns yet they choose to ignore the much higher probability that a Child will find the other items I mentioned as opposed to a Gun in their Mother's Pocketbook. Even more so these days with the Mom's and their Organic Gluten Free Childs Diet Fetish. Everyone needs to relax we live among morons but unless you can point out the Moron Clause in the Constitution I guess we should all just move on.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:17 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
You asked me to give you a break with regard to my inclusion of the other dangerous, potentially fatal items that can be found in a Woman's Pocketbook as though you saw no danger in those being accessible. So that was my point. Everyone enjoys beating down Guns yet they choose to ignore the much higher probability that a Child will find the other items I mentioned as opposed to a Gun in their Mother's Pocketbook. Even more so these days with the Mom's and their Organic Gluten Free Childs Diet Fetish. Everyone needs to relax we live among morons but unless you can point out the Moron Clause in the Constitution I guess we should all just move on.

Happy New Year!
I had no opinion one way or another about guns. I just questioned why she had it in her purse....in all places Idaho

Old 12-30-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Good for California, I am sure that has reduced the numbers of domestic violence ending in death by gun.
Just as I am sure you are wrong about this.

Quote:
As for Katrina, those officers were in the wrong and did so out of confusion.
No they did it based on orders. It has been stated. There was a National Guard Video which I am sure I cannot locate now on YouTube where it shows a National Guard Officer giving the order to make entry house by house and confiscate any firearms and if resistance was encountered to arrest those Citizens. Then of course we had the Blackwater Security Group who just shot the Gun owners they came across "allegedly".

Quote:
No one is gonna come and take your guns away, such a funny fear that gun nuts have, but at least it helps the gun industry.
This fear is being perpetuated by the likes of you. Thanks to you and people who feel as you do people who never even considered buying a Gun went right out after all the new legislation was called for and passed in some states after SandyHook. As a result Ammo is just now a year later coming down in price when it can be found. What this does is keeps Law abiding, responsible gun owners from being able to go to a shooting range and practice the safe handling and discharging of their Guns. Looks as though the Anti-Gun Nuts have sealed their own fate. There are now more Guns than ever and more money being given to Gun Rights Groups to ensure that nothing changes with the Bill of Rights and specifically the second amendment. It doesn't just help the Gun Industry it helps the entire economy. but hey, why let the facts get in the way of making a good argument? It has slowed you down thus far.

Quote:
Maybe gun nuts should run out and buy more guns, clearly toddlers are dangerous and we should be armed to protect ourselves from dangerous toddlers.
I have an even better idea. What say we amend the affordable care act and add another individual mandate for those who refuse to buy at least 1 gun a year and 500 rounds of ammunition. As clearly the best way to overcome the fear of Guns, Heights, Flying is to "Just Do it".

Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:26 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,872,330 times
The war on toddlers

Old 12-30-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
can someone explain to me how a 2yr old can fire a gun?

was the gun still in the purse when fired or did this kid pick up the gun and fire?

what 2yr old has the hand strength to squeeze a trigger?

THEN whats the possibility that the kid kills his mom with ONE shot?

Do you know how difficult it is to kill someone instantly with ONE shot ??

WTF??? somethings off here

Oh no it is definitely possible just ask anyone who wants to ban guns or register your guns for later retrieval you know like a Valet perhaps in case you need your Gun dry cleaned say. They will tell you if there is a Gun anywhere in the United States other than those in the possession of the Police or Military or Wealthy Peoples security details then we can be assured nobody is safe. In fact get this... The Gun Grabbers will tell you People Don't Kill People Guns Kill People. They do the most damage at night when they sneak out while you are asleep in search of their next victim.

Yes Sir, I tell you we must turn in all Guns. It will solve our deficit, find the email on Lois Lerner's Hard Drive, compel Hillary to tell us what really happened at Benghazi it will be amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies