Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 PM

274 posts, read 238,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
It was a joke in response to Benbow's reference to Darwin.

I see. Please accept my apology for misconstruing your intent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:34 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
Oh no it is definitely possible just ask anyone who wants to ban guns or register your guns for later retrieval you know like a Valet perhaps in case you need your Gun dry cleaned say. They will tell you if there is a Gun anywhere in the United States other than those in the possession of the Police or Military or Wealthy Peoples security details then we can be assured nobody is safe. In fact get this... The Gun Grabbers will tell you People Don't Kill People Guns Kill People. They do the most damage at night when they sneak out while you are asleep in search of their next victim.

Yes Sir, I tell you we must turn in all Guns. It will solve our deficit, find the email on Lois Lerner's Hard Drive, compel Hillary to tell us what really happened at Benghazi it will be amazing.
No one wants to ban guns. But if you are not an expert in knowing how to handle them and fire them then you shouldn't be allowed to have them. And all guns should be registered.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:39 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Seriously, read some Gun Safety for Dummies.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:52 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Well? As long as we are adding all kinds of other useless nonsense to the school curriculum why not start teaching firearms 101? Let kids start learning gun safety and practicing with air soft guns in universal kindergarten and by high school they can be majoring in assault rifles and rocket launchers. That way everyone will be fully educated on guns just like all the other stuff that we learn in school to send us off into life as intelligent human beings oozing of common sense and high moral standards. Or something.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
No, no, no. If it's so clear-cut, you can provide me with a solid example.

lol

1. The NRA has already bragged about having helped write our gun control laws.
I suppose your idea of objective is Diane Feinstein or Michael Bloomberg write them out?

Quote:
2. There is a huge background check loophole.
Again if you can come up with a better way without a registry I would be interested to hear it.

Quote:
3. Guns are not nearly as regulated as driving in this country. They're not even close.
Correct and throughout our lengthy debate it should be evident that it would do no more good for Firearms than it has for Cars. So your suggestion is?

Quote:
None of this has anything to do with what I said. Who was talking about crime in South Africa? I was talking their driving laws and road accidents and you talk about homicide and car jackings.
You said in one sentence it is the most Dangerous place outside a War Zone to drive a car and then went on to say it was as safe as any other place. My point using the Homicide rate was they enacted in 2000 some of the toughest Gun Laws short of "No Guns Allowed" yet Homicides have gone up over the last 40 years although down for a period of I believe it was 8 years. Unfortunately for the South Africans 2013/2014 has seen that trend heading back up. You wanted to talk and compare about somewhere else and use that somewhere else as an example I just used your example along with Wikipedia to show you that South Africa is not in a desirable place with regard to much of anything but especially driving or firearms.

Quote:
And say you don't care about other countries all you want, but that's a cop-out. General principles of civilized societies don't magically change when they get to 'Murica. That's just you running away, tail firmly tucked between your legs because as your post here shows, you clearly don't have an answer for anything I said except to change the subject and suddenly proclaim what happens elsewhere doesn't mean anything here.
I'm sorry you feel that I am coping-out on you. If it were true it would make the last few hours of your night worth it but regrettably I have not left or hid I am right here willing to point out the facts for those that care to pay attention. As for "General principles of civilized societies" just like the Easter Bunny, and The Tooth Fairy this is a figment of your imagination it doesn't exist there is no general principle of civilized anything. Allow me to share my insight into people from other Civilized Societies that come to "Murica" and don't change. How does it go? "When in Rome", "Love it or Leave it!". It may matter to you or to our foreign policy but in a debate on Gun Control in "Murica" it means nothing. So it does in fact not matter here. If it was so much better anywhere else then I am sure liberals would have gotten there first and ruined it by now. In the meantime how bout we talk about what is relevant Boss?

Old 12-31-2014, 12:08 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Just as I am sure you are wrong about this.
Then I guess we are at an impasse because I don't feel like doing any research on the number of domestic violence by gun per year in California because I am not that interested in this topic to waste that much time. However, I can't think of a good reason to let someone who is abusing their spouse to have access to guns.

Quote:
No they did it based on orders. It has been stated. There was a National Guard Video which I am sure I cannot locate now on YouTube where it shows a National Guard Officer giving the order to make entry house by house and confiscate any firearms and if resistance was encountered to arrest those Citizens. Then of course we had the Blackwater Security Group who just shot the Gun owners they came across "allegedly".
Again, something else I don't care to hash up, there was confusion during Katrina with the local police and they weren't suppose to confiscate people's weapons. Did they try to do that, yes, were they wrong in doing that, yes. Moving on.

Quote:
This fear is being perpetuated by the likes of you. Thanks to you and people who feel as you do people who never even considered buying a Gun went right out after all the new legislation was called for and passed in some states after SandyHook. As a result Ammo is just now a year later coming down in price when it can be found. What this does is keeps Law abiding, responsible gun owners from being able to go to a shooting range and practice the safe handling and discharging of their Guns. Looks as though the Anti-Gun Nuts have sealed their own fate. There are now more Guns than ever and more money being given to Gun Rights Groups to ensure that nothing changes with the Bill of Rights and specifically the second amendment. It doesn't just help the Gun Industry it helps the entire economy. but hey, why let the facts get in the way of making a good argument? It has slowed you down thus far.
Well Americans are known for doing dumb things when they are afraid, much like this woman did by keeping a loaded gun on here where her child was able to access it. Unfortunately gun nuts are too afraid of everything to ever have an honest conversation about gun safety and that maybe we shouldn't let any moron with no gun safety training be able to buy a gun. So I say fear on, at least it helps the economy and hopefully only gets gun nuts who lack proper safety training killed, but unfortunately the world doesn't work that way as they often times get innocent people killed.

Quote:
I have an even better idea. What say we amend the affordable care act and add another individual mandate for those who refuse to buy at least 1 gun a year and 500 rounds of ammunition. As clearly the best way to overcome the fear of Guns, Heights, Flying is to "Just Do it".

Happy New Year!
Why? So gun nuts can use that gun for their healthcare? Must be the new Republican Healthcare proposal.

And I will have a happy new year.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And now her child will have to live with its mother's stupidity. Is that right for the child and its family to have to live with? If the mother knew gun safety, she would be alive and her child wouldn't be without a mother now.

Knowing something and adhering to it or observing it are two completely different things. She failed and I am sure she learned her lesson and won't do it again.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Not liking what someone says is not a legitimate reason to commit a violent act. The law will not let you off the hook if just say "I punched Bob because he said something that made me mad." The speech is not at fault, the perpetrator of the crime is at fault.
I never said it made sense or was legal but cause and effect is just that. People are killed for exercising their right to free speech all the time.

Quote:
Inflammatory speech is free speech. But it does not justify violence according to the law.
Let us hope you can get a guy with a Badge and a Gun to show up and enforce that law before it gets you killed. Reality is the odds are not in your favor. Police are reactive rarely do they get the opportunity to be proactive. This scenario plays out all across the Country each and every day.

Quote:
A sincere you're welcome and I truly hope you do see improvement this coming year and enjoy continued good health. In spite of our disagreements, you seem like a very nice person, and I take nothing you've said personally and mean to give you no personal offense.
Your too kind I feel likewise.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Knowing something and adhering to it or observing it are two completely different things. She failed and I am sure she learned her lesson and won't do it again.

Happy New Year!
Well she is dead....

And I will have a happy new year.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You have to wonder why she really needed a handgun. Idaho? Yeah, it's a( legal) gun culture and its the seventh safest state to live in, crime wise. I know, its safe BECAUSE its a gun culture. Granted.
Assuming it was a revolver, the child might have been able to take off the safety. If it was a semi automatic, then I strongly doubt he could have chambered a round. It sounds like she had a round chambered or the safety off or both. That was careless and stupid. But then again we're back to it being Idaho. How dangerous is a small town in Idaho? She may have been from out of the area visiting relatives according to the article. Having a gun around a toddler was stupid.
Ah, you realize that revolvers (with VERY few exceptions) don't have safeties, right? And many modern semis don't as well, in the conventional sense. (Glock and other striker fired ones have a tab on the trigger, but no conventional safety). And a defensive handgun is always carried with a round in the chamber. Quite watching bad TV and thinking it's real life.

No excuse for her actions either way, leaving a loaded handgun where a 2 yo can get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies