Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 09:53 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't think you can lump all blacks as a group any more than you can whites or any other race. There are smart, educated, hard working, successful black people out there. Those that want to get ahead, be safe in their homes and feel like they have a chance to walk the streets without dying at the hands of thugs. Those blacks typically vote Republicans. As do whites with similar traits.

There are also blacks and whites that are lazy, ignorant, feel the world owes them something for nothing, don't want to work and feel that a life of crime and drug use is something to aspire to. They are referred to as Democrats.
Well, when 90% of all blacks vote a certain way, people are justified in drawing certain conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
See my response bolded.

Originally Posted by Lucario

Really? If that were the case, they'd have to
stop using the Southern Strategy and race-coded language to appeal to the
low-information racist and redneck sectors. It'd also be good if they stopped
insulting black people with that "plantation" and "slave"
bullcrap.

Did you mean Joe Biden? "They're going to put [blacks] back
in chains"
A stupid statement from him, no doubt. Playing on racial fears - but fears that surface after hearing conservative rhetoric.

Quote:
The vast majority of blacks know we're capable, etc......but we also know
that discrimination is real and lingers powerfully. If the Republicans (who
appeal to racism on one hand and then cynically claim we're all one big happy
family on the other) wish to really appeal to everyone, they need to repudiate
the Klan wing and stop insulting minorities in general.

No we don't
know "discrimination is real and lingers powerfully". I don't believe it does,
but the democrats are deeply invested in keeping some believing it does, thus
their need for promoting identity politics instead of failure regarding these
issues.
Well, you don't have to believe it - you are obviously not black and don't experience it and don't want to acknowledge it. And I don't see why you would think the Dems. are invested in keeping anyone believing anything - if black folks believe something, it's because they see it, not because some hockey puck politician is telling us that it is so. What was I saying about Republicans insulting black people again?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post
Could not have said it better. It seems that Republicans and their supporters attempt to bob & weave hoping to escape their true colors. I remember Jesse Helms being challenged by Harvey Gant for senator. When the race tightened, Helms went for the jugular in a racist commercial (white application tossed in trash). Same situation in Tennessee with Bob Corker against Harold Ford. In order to sway the voters near the end, Corker ran commercials of Harold Ford with white women. Those ads will do the trick every time with those type of voters.

Republican candidates are scary!

Also, I will never forget Lee Atwater's death bed confession. May you RIP for finally telling the truth.
And don't forget the Willie Horton ads..........But the Republicans don't appeal to racism or racial fears!

Jesse Helms? He might as well have campaigned in a hood and white sheets.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Well, when 90% of all blacks vote a certain way, people are justified in drawing certain conclusions.
If you don't like it, create a new option for them.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:58 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
A stupid statement from him, no doubt. Playing on racial fears - but fears that surface after hearing conservative rhetoric.
wow, you still have fears of being put back in chains? Democrats paint their opponents with the colors that most resemble their own. think about it, what happens to blacks who join the republican party?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
wow, you still have fears of being put back in chains? Democrats paint their opponents with the colors that most resemble their own. think about it, what happens to blacks who join the republican party?
I have fears of voting rights being restricted, my kids being shot by cops, being discriminated against in housing (that has already happened), access to health care for my relatives being curtailed, and other very real possibilities.

What were you saying about the Republican Party? The party that wants to "take the country back?"

Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Would you rephrase? I'm not understanding your question.
...why do some people vote for Democrats and some vote for Republican? Whites lean slightly more republican than Democrat....while blacks overwhelmingly vote democrat in this era. You argue that blacks have been subdued by the Democratic party. This begs the question of why have not whites been subdued by it? If the problem is the democratic party, then the question becomes what phenomenon drove blacks into the ranks of the Democratic party at higher rates than whites?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
...why do some people vote for Democrats and some vote for Republican? Whites lean slightly more republican than Democrat....while blacks overwhelmingly vote democrat in this era. You argue that blacks have been subdued by the Democratic party. This begs the question of why have not whites been subdued by it? If the problem is the democratic party, then the question becomes what phenomenon drove blacks into the ranks of the Democratic party at higher rates than whites?
As the left in defense of blacks like to point out, there's white trash. They also vote Democrat.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

I have fears of voting rights being restricted,
Because democrats made it clear that it's too hard for blacks to get a voter ID?

being discriminated against in housing (that has already happened),
If you can pay for it no one can stop you. Key word... you pay for it.

access to health care for my relatives being curtailed,
Again, if you can pay for it then no one can stop you from buying health care insurance, again, keyword, you pay for it

and other very real possibilities.

What were you saying about the Republican Party? The party that wants to "take the country back?"
As I said, What the big deal about the black vote anyway? We all know, even politicians know you'll vote democrat. So be it.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:19 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
snip....what phenomenon drove blacks into the ranks of the Democratic party at higher rates than whites?
Are you speaking about present day or historically? I thought we were speaking of present day. Are you referring to history? I just want to be clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies