Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:50 PM

592 posts, read 502,556 times

Advertisements

Does this go against the right wing talking point that we have lost respect around the world?

Which poll or evidence does the right wing media use? or is it the usual repeat a lie until you believe it yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 05:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you can't tell me you really believe this type of poll? Please don't say you do...There may be some foreign nations that respect him and his administration but there are probably more who do not. As a foreign leader he is very weak. Even if I supported him, I would be concerned about his world affairs knowledge and his handling of issues.
Why shouldn't I believe the poll? Because you don't like it?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Justin is only popular with other idiots. Everyone else knows he is, as you said. The World is not a small sect of Groupies, and Justin is not a World Leader.
The same can be said about Obama. He thinks he rules the world but event after event shows him he is wrong.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:09 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So our "allies" and other foreign nations have lost confidence in this administration, huh?

Well...according to this piece, that might not be the case.

Obama Administration Wins High Approval Ratings Worldwide - US News

Don't blame me...they said it....not me.
I do think you're oversimplifying things a bit here. The thing that most of us silly Americans don't seem to realize is that much of the world sees us as a bully. We run around the globe with our military. If any nation does something we don't, we invade them and very often install pro-USA governments. Much of the rest of the world sees the governments of Afghanistan and Iraq as puppet governments. Many resent us for supporting Israel despite their oppression of the Palestinians. (Yes I know it's a lot more complicated than that.) They see us as hypocritical for only intervening in areas where there's lots of oil or other immediate US interests. We don't intervene in Rwanda, the Congo, Sudan, etc.

That is how the common people across the world see us. The USA leading from behind, pissing off Israel and doing less across the board is a welcome change to them. But it doesn't make their world any safer. Because the USA is perceived as weak, Russia has gone the way of Nazi Germany, grabbing up any scrap of ground that they can get away with. As we continue to do nothing, they will continue to get more and more bold and aggressive. China is also emboldened, but would rather make money than pick a fight at this point. The extremists of the Muslim world are taking over predominantly Muslim countries and wreaking havoc all over the world. Iran and North Korea have nukes and ICBM with which to fire them -- or will have them soon enough.

The actual government leaders of the world really don't want the USA to withdraw because they know the cost. The world got a lot more dangerous over the last 6 years. For my part, I'd like to see somebody else play world policeman. But at this point, the world is just used to us playing cop. A weak United States throws the whole world into imbalance.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I do think you're oversimplifying things a bit here. The thing that most of us silly Americans don't seem to realize is that much of the world sees us as a bully. We run around the globe with our military. If any nation does something we don't, we invade them and very often install pro-USA governments. Much of the rest of the world sees the governments of Afghanistan and Iraq as puppet governments. Many resent us for supporting Israel despite their oppression of the Palestinians. (Yes I know it's a lot more complicated than that.) They see us as hypocritical for only intervening in areas where there's lots of oil or other immediate US interests. We don't intervene in Rwanda, the Congo, Sudan, etc.

That is how the common people across the world see us. The USA leading from behind, pissing off Israel and doing less across the board is a welcome change to them. But it doesn't make their world any safer. Because the USA is perceived as weak, Russia has gone the way of Nazi Germany, grabbing up any scrap of ground that they can get away with. As we continue to do nothing, they will continue to get more and more bold and aggressive. China is also emboldened, but would rather make money than pick a fight at this point. The extremists of the Muslim world are taking over predominantly Muslim countries and wreaking havoc all over the world. Iran and North Korea have nukes and ICBM with which to fire them -- or will have them soon enough.

The actual government leaders of the world really don't want the USA to withdraw because they know the cost. The world got a lot more dangerous over the last 6 years. For my part, I'd like to see somebody else play world policeman. But at this point, the world is just used to us playing cop. A weak United States throws the whole world into imbalance.
Oversimplified? I posted three sentences.

You accuse me of that then post ridiculously trite nonsense about "leading from behind" and "pissing off Israel," as if you're dropping some real profundity into the conversation. SMH

Anyway...carry on.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
A poll of 1,000 random people aged 15+ doesn't say much.

A 45% approval rating -- in other words, a failing grade -- of Obama by these 1,000 people says even less.

And for the US News and Slanted Report...err, World Report to use a misleading headline like "Obama Administration Wins High Approval Ratings Worldwide says still less about the state of "journalism" in this country.

45% isn't exactly "HIGH".
Maybe they polled marijuana smokers.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:00 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Does this go against the right wing talking point that we have lost respect around the world?

Which poll or evidence does the right wing media use? or is it the usual repeat a lie until you believe it yourself?
You're confused, it's the left wing that claimed for years that the US had lost respect around the world. Conservatives say OBAMA has no respect around the world, not the US.

Hard to keep your talking points straight when the left talks in circles, isn't it?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:17 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He's an idiot how exactly?

His mortgage is probably your salary for a quarter of the year if not longer.

Besides, he's got nothing to do with this.

Time that you yourself decided to waste.
I'm smarter because I don't have a mortgage

Old 04-24-2015, 12:20 PM

950 posts, read 924,870 times
asking 15 year olds ?

Shows what lengths pollsters will go to achieve the results they want.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm smarter because I don't have a mortgage
Nothing wrong with being a renter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies