Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:29 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nothing wrong with being a renter.
There is if you then complain about not being able to build wealth. If you willingly give your money to someone else in order to borrow a house or apartment, and aren't doing so in order to actively save money toward the purchase of your own shelter, you can't logically blame others for your bad financial decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There is if you then complain about not being able to build wealth. If you willingly give your money to someone else in order to borrow a house or apartment, and aren't doing so in order to actively save money toward the purchase of your own shelter, you can't logically blame others for your bad financial decisions.
Bleh...home ownership is overrated. The only reason why I'm not selling my house and moving into an apartment is so that I'll have an asset to give my son since I don't plan to leave much money laying around. Frankly, I'm tired (and so is my wife) of the maintenance and my sky high heating Bill in the winter. Every time I turn around, something else needs fixing.

Now I've just been informed that my Windows are bad. So there goes another $7500 next month when the contractor starts work. That's after dropping $9500 last year on a new roof and $2800 on a new swamp cooler a few months later.

All that said, home ownership has it's pluses, but there's nothing wrong with opting out of it in favor of renting. People change jobs and careers multiple times in life, and that can mean a location change. Owning a house can make that a pain in the neck.

Besides, you don't have to own a house to build wealth. Some people are just comfortable renting a place that fits their present needs.

At this point, I don't need a 1700 sq ft. house. I'd be fine with half that much. I'm sure many people feel the same way.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
So our "allies" and other foreign nations have lost confidence in this administration, huh?

Well...according to this piece, that might not be the case.

Obama Administration Wins High Approval Ratings Worldwide - US News

Don't blame me...they said it....not me.
I wonder how Obama would fair with the eastern Europeans, or those in North Dakota? Somehow I don't think he would be very popular.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:26 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Great. Obama's popular...if one considers a less than 50% approval rating popular.

However, according to Forbes, he isn't the most powerful. Forbes ranked President Barack Obama as the second most powerful person in the world, just behind Putin. Third place went to Chinese President Xi Jinping, fourth was Pope Francis, and German Chancellor Angela Merkel was fifth.Nov 5, 2014

Which is more important?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Bleh...home ownership is overrated. The only reason why I'm not selling my house and moving into an apartment is so that I'll have an asset to give my son since I don't plan to leave much money laying around. Frankly, I'm tired (and so is my wife) of the maintenance and my sky high heating Bill in the winter. Every time I turn around, something else needs fixing.

Now I've just been informed that my Windows are bad. So there goes another $7500 next month when the contractor starts work. That's after dropping $9500 last year on a new roof and $2800 on a new swamp cooler a few months later.

All that said, home ownership has it's pluses, but there's nothing wrong with opting out of it in favor of renting. People change jobs and careers multiple times in life, and that can mean a location change. Owning a house can make that a pain in the neck.

Besides, you don't have to own a house to build wealth. Some people are just comfortable renting a place that fits their present needs.

At this point, I don't need a 1700 sq ft. house. I'd be fine with half that much. I'm sure many people feel the same way.
Overrated or not, home ownership is perhaps the most accessible way for poor people to build wealth. A home is one of the very few purchases that does not typically depreciate in value over the long term. So, if you're renting a house or apartment and complaining about not being able to build wealth, you can't logically complain because someone out there made better decisions.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:38 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
So the Obama admin wins high praise according to the world??

What has always set America apart from the rest of the world and made it a shining beacon for millions of immigrants has been the "American way" which is based on hard work and liberty.

It is odd that so many countries seem to hate us yet their people still flock here. It is also odd that this poll was taken and the results showed that those people from those foreign countries favor this administration. I can see only 2 reasons. Obama has made the US welcoming due to lax immigration laws and bountiful handouts to the needy and not so needy.
The other reason is that Obama is reshaping the US to look and have an attitude more like a foreign country and that is NOT America at all.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Popular everywhere except the country he governs......

You can have him world, I won't be mad.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Overrated or not, home ownership is perhaps the most accessible way for poor people to build wealth. A home is one of the very few purchases that does not typically depreciate in value over the long term. So, if you're renting a house or apartment and complaining about not being able to build wealth, you can't logically complain because someone out there made better decisions.
You seem to be stuck on this "you can't complain blah, blah" thing. No one is complaining. Plenty of people rent and are happy with renting.

I simply said that it's fine, but I see it as overrated as an experience. If I had it to do over again, there's a good chance that I wouldn't have bought a home.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
So the Obama admin wins high praise according to the world??

What has always set America apart from the rest of the world and made it a shining beacon for millions of immigrants has been the "American way" which is based on hard work and liberty.

It is odd that so many countries seem to hate us yet their people still flock here. It is also odd that this poll was taken and the results showed that those people from those foreign countries favor this administration. I can see only 2 reasons. Obama has made the US welcoming due to lax immigration laws and bountiful handouts to the needy and not so needy.
The other reason is that Obama is reshaping the US to look and have an attitude more like a foreign country and that is NOT America at all.
Funny...seems like the same old America to me. I can't see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Popular everywhere except the country he governs......

You can have him world, I won't be mad.
You're salty.

That's too bad. After all, he's not leaving.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:20 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Funny...seems like the same old America to me. I can't see the difference.

Exactly! That's the problem. You stumbled upon it, if only by accident.

He came in promising all this Hope and Change, and everyone had such high expectations out of him. They thought he was going to be this catalyst for a major transformation.... etc.

Turns out he's just another tired old corrupt politician playing the game that is D.C.

I have no hope, and you can keep the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies