Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 02:31 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Perhaps by the size of the bomb they felt that it would be contained within the room it was in and an evacuation could endanger more children than having them in their rooms with multiple walls between them and the possible small bomb. Or perhaps, unlike you, they do not deal with bombs every day so made a poor decision under stress out of fear and concern.
A. I don't deal with bombs everyday.

B. Every institution charged with the care of others should have procedures in place in order to avoid making "poor decisions under stress out of fear and concern."

Old 09-19-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It doesn't look like a bomb--at all. Anyone who has browsed Radio Shack would know that a digital display and a circuit board is just a digital display and a circuit board.

He first took it to the electronics teacher--how the heck can you claim it was a hoax when the first person the kid showed it to was the very person most likely to know otherwise?
And if the kid really had a bomb (or even a hoax one) why in the hell would he show it to a teacher first?!

Old 09-19-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
In that case, if they knew their buttons were being pushed, they were still stupid for reacting precisely as a provocateur would have wanted. The smart response: Call the father, "Your trick didn't work. Come and get your kid."
Quite frankly, even it was a set up I applaud father and son. They've proven just how stupid and inept many public school administrators can be. I'm a big fan of people pushing the proverbial establishment buttons. Keeps 'em on their toes.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Not a fan of Bill Maher but he's spot on with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGit-XltUB4
I watched until he said, "Because it looks exactly like a ****ing bomb."

Well smartass (Maher), bombs can be and have been made using all types of materials including book bags, toothpaste tubes and water bottles. Given the fact that the kid SHOWED IT TO HIS TEACHER first I have to say the school is run by a bunch of reactionary ignoramuses.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I doubt it. They just released the precious snowflake to his parents. This kid will have no record.
The parents are smart. They are moving him to a private school. Public schools pander to the LCD. In so many ways, I wish we could afford private schools.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
The thing does not look like a bomb. It is basically the components of a cell phone or a wrist watch or of any number of electronic devices. The major reason is there appears to be nothing to explode and nothing connecting such a thing to the timer..

A real attempt could simply use a cell phone or a tablet or anything else with some form of detonating circuitry attached. There are extremely simple ways to turn a cell phone into a remote or a timer for a bomb. I won't discuss it but anyone who wants to could easily work it out...there is likely an app for it.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
The police were called. They were informed that it might have been a bomb, but the school administration didn't see fit to order an evacuation because it apparently wasn't "bomb" enough to clear the school. The police didn't see fit to call in the bomb squad and have the suspected "bomb" blown up as protocol would have dictated, because it wasn't that much of a "bomb" to be worried about, apparently.

The skinny Muslim kid still had the bracelets slapped on him because, well, Muslim kids really shouldn't be scaring American folk like that. He never should have made such a suspicious device in the first place.
Is this sarcasm? Like seriously, kids can't make experiments at home if they have Arabic names? Kids with Arabic names aren't "real" Americans?

Old 09-19-2015, 03:39 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Actually, the police were already there--there are two officers permanently stationed at the school (and many others) as permanent "resources." They already knew it wasn't a bomb--by that time they were playing the "bomb hoax" angle, but that was bogus as well.
They have cops permanently assigned to high schools in Texas? Is this school known to be dangerous or in a high crime area?

My local police department has a "COPE unit" which does all sorts of community stuff like foot & bicycle patrols, school outreach, addressing quality of life issues, etc but they do not have any officers permanently assigned to schools. The NYPD has unarmed, non-sworn "school safety officers" who are basically glorified security guards ... they may have some actual sworn NYPD officers assigned to the more violent schools but I don't know for sure.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:38 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
They have cops permanently assigned to high schools in Texas? Is this school known to be dangerous or in a high crime area?

My local police department has a "COPE unit" which does all sorts of community stuff like foot & bicycle patrols, school outreach, addressing quality of life issues, etc but they do not have any officers permanently assigned to schools. The NYPD has unarmed, non-sworn "school safety officers" who are basically glorified security guards ... they may have some actual sworn NYPD officers assigned to the more violent schools but I don't know for sure.
What the Irving police chief said was this:

"...at every high school in Irving there are two school resource officers assigned to that school, and so those two were already there. And because of the sort of the complicated nature of this, their supervisor arrived and he had another sergeant that was with him, and so there were four people there..." -- 00:02:50

Irving police chief: police knew 'pretty quickly' homemade clock wasn't a bomb | MSNBC

Old 09-19-2015, 04:42 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I watched until he said, "Because it looks exactly like a ****ing bomb."

Well smartass (Maher), bombs can be and have been made using all types of materials including book bags, toothpaste tubes and water bottles. Given the fact that the kid SHOWED IT TO HIS TEACHER first I have to say the school is run by a bunch of reactionary ignoramuses.
Maher is more anti-religion than he is merely liberal, so for him it's fine to have an anti-Muslim reaction.

While I would tend to agree in many other cases, in this case the most egregious actions of the faculty and police come after they already know they're dealing with neither a bomb nor a bomb hoax.

This is the kind of thing that causes the other kids as well to disrespect authority: The kid was found officially not-guilty, yet he was punished. This is right in line with the other failures of authority they see every day, such as a bully attacking an innocent weaker kid and both of them being suspended. There is zero ethical rationality in school administration today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies