Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 04:59 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,378,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Well it sure as heck doesn't look like a clock!
It doesn't look like a bomb either!

Old 09-18-2015, 05:02 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,349,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It was a set-up and was probably orchestrated by his activist father. His father wanted the kid to carry something that looked like a bomb, but wasn't so that a statement could be made about persecuted Muslims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Great link, thanks for sharing it. After reading that article, I'm inclined to agree with your statement above. Very sad if indeed the father used his son in that way.
I'm am sorry that you found my statement to be rude however the fact remains that when ascribing all sorts of nefarious motives not only to a 14 year old kid but his parents as well not based upon upon facts but rather wildly speculative comments only indicates, at least to me, a prior willingness to accept such speculation as fact and I find that quite disturbing.

Whether Ahmed is the wonderkind or simply just a kid who took a discarded clock and re-assembled it into a new configuration is one thing of which I don't have an opinion nor care to ever form one. What concerns me is how one can assign motives that go well beyond any facts presented.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:05 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,497,292 times
Did they really think this was a gun?

https://nevadastatepersonnelwatch.fi...mall.jpg?w=381

Old 09-18-2015, 05:32 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,510,831 times
I understand suspicion of the device, but the treatment of this kid without any concrete evidence is beyond ridiculous.

An appropriate reaction would be, number one, if you genuinely have concern it is a bomb, evacuate the school and call the police and bomb squad.

Number two, detain the boy but not with excess. Do it as you would with a teenager who started a food fight.

Number three, have experts show up and investigate. If it is a bomb, take action. If it isn't, apologise for the misunderstanding and go on your way.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:03 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,217,065 times
In addition to what has already been said multiple times in this and the original thread, I will add... They did not evacuate the school because even a non bomb expert could deduce that if it was a bomb, that a one ounce bomb, though lethal at close range, was not a threat to someone in an adjacent classroom.

Jeezzzz!!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:17 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,879,982 times
Dumb question, because what you have here is another example of what happens when the loony left start wringing their hands in the schoolroom. I mean, get real. Was that Pop Tart (or a little boy's fingers) really a gun? Are girls carrying Midol saying yes to drugs?

And BTW, that kid sounds book smart and life dumb.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,247,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Dumb question, because what you have here is another example of what happens when the loony left start wringing their hands in the schoolroom. I mean, get real. Was that Pop Tart (or a little boy's fingers) really a gun? Are girls carrying Midol saying yes to drugs?

And BTW, that kid sounds book smart and life dumb.
You know this happened in Texas, right? And that fear of muslims is a right wing thing, right? Nothing liberal about it

Old 09-18-2015, 06:33 PM

40,991 posts, read 49,359,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You know this happened in Texas, right? And that fear of muslims is a right wing thing, right? Nothing liberal about it
This happened in Dallas County which is a Liberal Democrat stronghold.

You're saying Black Liberals don't like Muslims, right?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:35 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,497,292 times
If it happened in a school it was a liberal thing...no matter where the school was.

FWIW Texas isn't anywhere as Conservative as everyone likes to think it is...especially in the bigger cities.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:38 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,312,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
In addition to what has already been said multiple times in this and the original thread, I will add... They did not evacuate the school because even a non bomb expert could deduce that if it was a bomb, that a one ounce bomb, though lethal at close range, was not a threat to someone in an adjacent classroom.

Jeezzzz!!
I don't know. The bleached blond who spoke to the news media, representing the school, looked and sounded very stupid. I could see her believing anything that might reinforce her world view. Seriously, she sounded like an idiot.

And (sorry as this is an obvious question), once they found out that it was a clock and not an IED, why was the kid still suspended?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies