Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Actually, the government doesn't "pay" anyone. Taxpayers are the one's with the money. Your question should actually read, "Should taxpayers pay their hard earned money to support a family on low income?"
Exactly. Excellent point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Maybe a better question is why are low income workers having families they cannot support, without being subsidized?
Yes, that IS the better question.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What makes you think that all poor people become poor BEFORE they have a family to support? Have you never known a woman raising kids alone because she was widowed or because her husband abandoned she and the kids?
If widowed, adequate inexpensive term life insurance should been been purchased for exactly such an event when having and raising children. If abandoned... why the hell would anyone have children with someone who very clearly had to have been irresponsible in other ways, as well. Having and raising children requires responsibility. Knowing your financial status is a responsibility. Not having children with someone who keeps dropping the ball (so to speak) is a responsibility. Why does everyone else always have to pay for the consequences of irresponsible people failing to adequately managing their lives?

Old 11-03-2015, 10:41 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The silly talking point of taxpayers subsidizing the labor costs of employers that pay minimum wage really needs to stop, as it is just not true.
I see that you chose not to mention the study I cited on the downward wage push of Walmart. So how about answering this: If Walmart, due to their wage scale, lowers local wages by up to 10% and you claim that there is a living wage floor, below which the government provides benefits - then how can you claim that taxpayers didn't foot the bill when they had to make up for that 10% wage cut by providing a dollar for dollar increase in government benefits?

Old 11-03-2015, 10:46 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If widowed, adequate inexpensive term life insurance should been been purchased for exactly such an event when having and raising children. If abandoned... why the hell would anyone have children with someone who very clearly had to have been irresponsible in other ways, as well. Having and raising children requires responsibility. Knowing your financial status is a responsibility. Not having children with someone who keeps dropping the ball (so to speak) is a responsibility. Why does everyone else always have to pay for the consequences of irresponsible people failing to adequately managing their lives?
How dare you say such a thing. My husband walked out on me and our kids. He quit a very good job in law enforcement and moved to another state to avoid paying child support. At the time I had a part time job and was finishing an advanced degree. I had to quit school and find a full time job FAST. I never had kids when I was poor, but I still had kids when I became poor. I didn't ask for, or receive any government benefits but I would have been forced to if not for the fact that I had wonderful friends who watched my kids for free while I worked. So please take that 'responsibility' story and put it where the sun don't shine because you never walked in my shoes and you have no idea how quickly you can find yourself in a very desperate financial situation.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:09 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Then men should use condoms or get a vasectomy. Voila...women wouldn't get pregnant
You know what else works? Don't have sex until you are financially and emotionally stable enough to care for a child, should your BC fail. Don't make the consequences of your irresponsible actions the problem for the unborn baby or the taxpayers of this country.

I only suggest that, because I actually believe that humans are capable of controlling their baser needs but maybe we have to get to a point where the desire for survival is outweighed by the desire to copulate.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Some people are more human than others -some real cold-- and probably do not have kids--or even mate- think we have a quite a few in the forum-- that is what I attribute to some of the harsh nasty answers-- because I know wealthy people are not on here- leaves the wannabees and they think poor people is who is keeping them from achieving that goal

Old 11-03-2015, 11:24 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
some people are more human than others -some real cold-- and probably do not have kids--or even mate- think we have a quite a few in the forum
And in reality, you cannot divine the personality or personal situation of anyone on an anonymous forum. People can come across completely different on an internet forum than they are in real life. The inferences made of other posters are the solely the creation of the person making the judgment, based on their own personal biases and prejudices.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:44 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
this is key but you know the ones that are making good money JUST cant see it- because during their hard days-- they had something to jump to-- now a lot of that is GONE-- they don't believe it..
Follow Obama's lead and let an ever increasing number of foreign immigrants enter the country depressing wages on entry level jobs.

November 02, 2015, 02:00 pm
Leaked DHS memo shows Obama might circumvent DAPA injunction

Quote:
A newly leaked internal DHS memorandum produced for an off-the-record agency conclave reveals that the Obama administration is actively planning to circumvent a federal court injunction that suspended part of last November’s deferral-based amnesty initiative.
I am so sick of the Obama crybabies wimpering along how they can't survive on minimum wages all the while voting in the left wing communist idiots that is destroying everything we had before.

Got news for you if you are able bodied and barely making it on minimum wage. I don't care. I don't care if you are hungry and dying in the street because what part of "I don't give a damn about you" do you have trouble understanding?

If you don't like starvation do what I did back in the early 1970's and get two jobs so you could pay rent and eat if that is what it takes!

I work hard, I work long and I have what I need and if you think you are somehow entitled to a part of my work product because somehow it is unfair, unfair that I have a lot and you have a little, you can just go to hell!

74.5 percent of the 7.45 million workers in construction and extraction jobs are native-born workers (does not include legal immigrant workers). I see it every day and in the southeast I would estimate closer to 50% of construction workers are illegals.

And clue in for the idiots; these illegal construction workers earn a lot more than minimum wage earning closer to $14/hr but these are hard jobs outside the kitchen of the local McDonald's and our precious little snowflakes were never brought up to to hard work. Hard work is against the constitution and stuff.

Stop all welfare, food stamps and public housing today. Don't like living under an underpass? The answer is simple, go out and get two jobs. Get two jobs and a part time job if that is what it takes.

I am so sick and tired of the blood suckers on the economy.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:55 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Bam!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies