Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 11:46 PM

552 posts, read 314,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Exactly, the constitution is not written in stone, it can be changed
Then change it. Hint: EO is not the way to go about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
Then change it. Hint: EO is not the way to go about it.
Do you even know how many presidents have used executive orders

Old 01-06-2016, 11:49 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
1787 is very different from today though.
Yes it is.. In 1787 it was perfectly legal to own a cannon, a multitude of different types of firearms. In 1787 you could have any firearm the military had available to them. Today you can't and there is no logical reason. The 2nd amendment was not written so hunters could hunt, or to protect settlers from "Indians". It was written as a means of giving the people to overthrow the government if need be. Today civilian arms are like taking a BB gun to the OK corral. The American people still need to have the "ability" to overthrow the government in order to keep our rights in check from politicians of dubious character. Today more than any time in history our government is taking away our abilities to defend ourselves against them.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Yes it is.. In 1787 it was perfectly legal to own a cannon, a multitude of different types of firearms. In 1787 you could have any firearm the military had available to them. Today you can't and there is no logical reason. The 2nd amendment was not written so hunters could hunt, or to protect settlers from "Indians". It was written as a means of giving the people to overthrow the government if need be. Today civilian arms are like taking a BB gun to the OK corral. The American people still need to have the "ability" to overthrow the government in order to keep our rights in check from politicians of dubious character. Today more than any time in history our government is taking away our abilities to defend ourselves against them.

Dramatic much If you are that scared then live in a bunker or something. I just don't live in fear like some of you do. How many people have you had to defend yourself against. My guess would be 0.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
[/b]

Dramatic much If you are that scared then live in a bunker or something. I just don't live in fear like some of you do. How many people have you had to defend yourself against. My guess would be 0.
I'm not afraid for me. I'm an old man. Yes, I have had to defend myself. Fortunately I have never had to kill anyone in this country. Tomorrow may be the day that I do have to. I hope not, but if I have to, I am prepared. My guess is that you are terrible at poker..

Old 01-07-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I'm not afraid for me. I'm an old man. Yes, I have had to defend myself. Fortunately I have never had to kill anyone in this country. Tomorrow may be the day that I do have to. I hope not, but if I have to, I am prepared. My guess is that you are terrible at poker..
LOL you are not old and yes I can't play poker I try though

Old 01-07-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
LOL you are not old and yes I can't play poker I try though
This is good to know.... I'll invite you to our next game..

Old 01-07-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
This is good to know.... I'll invite you to our next game..
Well then I will learn and kick your ass

Old 01-07-2016, 12:20 AM

552 posts, read 314,246 times
Quote:
Do you even know how many presidents have used executive orders
Do you know how the constitution is amended?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:47 AM

510 posts, read 610,219 times
Just curious but why do people interpret the 2nd amendment so rigidly but not others?

The first amendment says that no law should be made to abridge free speech or the right to assemble, but it is illegal to threaten someone or slander someone or to yell fire in a crowded theater and many municipalities require permits for public assemblies (for reasons of safety and traffic concerns).

The prison in guantanamo is a clear violation of the 4th amendment.

And how exactly do you define "arms" in the right to bear arms? Switchblades and other types of locking knives are still illegal in many parts of the US (and pretty much all federal lands). Carrying a knife longer than 5.5 inches is a felony in Texas, where you can legally carry a loaded assault rifle on your back if you want :-/

Carry a live hand grenade will get you some jail time pretty much anywhere in the US too. biological weapons?

The constitution is constantly being reinterpreted against our modern context. Obviously things like machine guns didn't exist when these laws were written so it is hard to gauge what the original intent was or would be. These were people, after all, who clearly didn't even agree with our modern definition of the word "person" (as they clearly only meant white, land owning male when they said person).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies