Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
much bull crap here. corporate welfare? like what? depreciation allowances, depletion allowances, tax deductions, etc. these are NOT welfare, except in the tiny minds of progressives who want to destroy businesses.

wars for profits? again rubbish. i will grant that there are companies that are hired to assist the military, but privateers have always been a part of any war.

bailouts? not that i agree with, especially the way they were handled.

antitrust laws? would you rather have monopolies? one company that you buy your cars from, one company where you get your phone service from, one company where you buy your clothes from, etc.

a lot of the crap you complain about has been going on for centuries around the world. and the only people that complain are those that want to stir the pot and create trouble.
Anti-trust laws have been weakened, not strengthened. To protect the donor class and big wigs. Whether its airlines, cable companies, food manufacturers, banks etc etc. We have too big to fail, government insurance policy, massively benefiting big banks at the expense of the people, with billions flowing to the top. Corporate welfare goes on at all levels. Big pharma ripping off the consumers as they are the biggest lobbyists in DC together with Wall Street. Big businesses are given massive gifts like striking settlements instead of being persecuted when they engage in criminal activities. Just pay a fine, get off scot free. Then continue criminal bahavior. Big banks are masters at this.

Wars, trade laws all decided by the donor class like the military industrial complex and corporate lawyers and lobbyists. They benefit by pushing for wars with increased military spending, no-bid government military contracts, writing trade laws benefiting the donors which affect working class Americans with no real power over any of this except their vote. This is the elephant in the room. NOT food stamps.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:06 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Republicans run a fantastic distraction machine.

Want to invade a country so you can enrich your buddies? Lie to the American people, make up links you know to be false, and get everyone nice and scared.

Want to give a tax cut to your rich donors? Call it a "middle class tax cut" and blather on about "job creation" even though the bulk of the cuts go to the top and there's no evidence that it actually creates jobs or, in fact, does anything more than increase the gap between rich and poor.

Policies proving unpopular and election time is coming around? Use social issues to drum up support and distract people from what you've been up to. Remember the 2004 election? The party chose to run a "we really, really hate gay people and if you do too, you should vote for us so we can deny them their constitutional rights." And guess what, it worked. Bush easily got re-elected and spent another four years driving the country into the ditch.

Another tactic? Just spin spin spin to try to make down look like up and bad look like good. That's what they did with, e.g. net neutrality. They knew their anti-neutrality position wasn't going to be popular, so they tried to sell net neutrality as a big government takeover of the internet. Heck, they're still trying to kill it in the latest budget bill. Another good thing the FCC is trying to do? Force cable providers to let you access content without renting a set top box from them. Republicans, being bought and paid for by the cable industry, want to force you to pay a fee to Comcast or whoever every month instead of being able to just buy a third party hardware or software solution.

Republicans do have one thing right though, many of the Democrats aren't much better. Clinton is a hawk and corporate suck up who only came around because she was about to lose the nomination to an old hippie from Vermont.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:21 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Politicians are all corrupt; those few who do initially join to “help the people” either soon get corrupted, or are mulched out of the system. None are more corrupt than those who are at the very top of American politics; the so-called “survivors.”

Regular people, well, they like to argue about STUPID petty stuff. Why do we need career politicians of either party when they admit themselves the system is flawed and corrupt. lol

Old 05-29-2016, 10:31 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Politicians are all corrupt; those few who do initially join to “help the people” either soon get corrupted, or are mulched out of the system. None are more corrupt than those who are at the very top of American politics; the so-called “survivors.”

Regular people, well, they like to argue about STUPID petty stuff. Why do we need career politicians of either party when they admit themselves the system is flawed and corrupt. lol
If you want less corruption you need less government. I do not see Democrats proposing that. Granted Republicans are mostly talk on the issue but even talk keeps the idea alive.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
. Big pharma ripping off the consumers as they are the biggest lobbyists in DC together with Wall Street.
You can greatly reduce that by reducing the power of the FDA by repealing Kefauver- Harris. Why don't you write your congressmen and recommend they sponsor such legislation?

Of course that is a smaller government answer. I doubt if you like it. Keep voting for more corruption.

Big pharm has to make massive donations to government. Big government can make or break a pharmaceutical company.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:40 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You can greatly reduce that by reducing the power of the FDA by repealing Kefauver- Harris. Why don't you write your congressmen and recommend they sponsor such legislation?

Of course that is a smaller government answer. I doubt if you like it. Keep voting for more corruption.
What a horrifically bad idea.

The system can be reformed without tossing out requirements that drugs demonstrate safety and effectiveness.

How exactly is making it easier for drug companies to poison people and con them out of their money a consumer-friendly position?

Old 05-29-2016, 10:44 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Republicans do have one thing right though, many of the Democrats aren't much better. Clinton is a hawk and corporate suck up who only came around because she was about to lose the nomination to an old hippie from Vermont.
You got that right.

This said, I have to say that i have great respect towards some tea party conservatives. Also, I like Michael Savage, not Rush Limbaugh.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:45 AM

248 posts, read 172,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
This has always fascinated me. Huge numbers of working class republicans talk about how free stuff is terrible, after 40 years of a massive transfer and redistribution of wealth and income from the working class to the big money donor class. Free stuff is flowing to the donor class in the forms of corporate welfare, trade deals, wars for profits, bailouts, anti-trust laws etc etc etc, keeping the donor class on top while laughing at the working class. I just dont get it. Why are so many republicans not bothered by the elephant in the room ****ting the hole room down but instead they continue to focus on some dust in the corner like food stamp fraud?
"Someone has watched one to many Michael Moore documentaries....There's a common denominator among those who cry conspiracy...I've never once heard successful people make the claim...It's always those who believe they deserve more for doing less that whine about government workings....It couldn't dare be them holding themselves back. "That damn government is always keeping me from success."
The U.S. government has done great for everyone I know who got educated and is driven...Hmmm...that's weird."
I'll venture to guess that most who whine about how taxpayer money is directed are paying a 0% or -% effective tax rate. Come on people, don't be so predictable.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What a horrifically bad idea.

The system can be reformed without tossing out requirements that drugs demonstrate safety and effectiveness.

How exactly is making it easier for drug companies to poison people and con them out of their money a consumer-friendly position?
How many people were poisoned before 1962?

The FDA killed tens of thousands of Americans with heart problems in the 60's and tens of thousands of those with HIV in the 80's and continue to kill Americans today by prohibiting the use of drugs until they have gone through safety and effectiveness testing well beyond what is most beneficial to the health of the population.

You do not avoid eating fruits and vegetables because of the dangers of e coli.

Once again you see a liberal defending the very institution that is the source of corruption; government. Repeal Kefauver- Harris and those donations that big pharm makes shrinks dramatically. Plus more Americans would live longer. But that is not a big government solution. I am sure the left will wish to increase the power of the FDA to combat such corruption.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Republicans consider it patriotic for the wealthy to take every advantage possible, while paying as little in taxes as possible and paying their employees as little as possible.
Pretty much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies