Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:04 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
This has always fascinated me. Huge numbers of working class republicans talk about how free stuff is terrible, after 40 years of a massive transfer and redistribution of wealth and income from the working class to the big money donor class. Free stuff is flowing to the donor class in the forms of corporate welfare, trade deals, wars for profits, bailouts, anti-trust laws etc etc etc, keeping the donor class on top while laughing at the working class. I just dont get it. Why are so many republicans not bothered by the elephant in the room ****ting the hole room down but instead they continue to focus on some dust in the corner like food stamp fraud?
You made all of this up. With lies like this you should be in the White House. Don't worry your party and supporters wont hold you accountable.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:16 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,836 times
Quote:
This has always fascinated me. Huge numbers of working class republicans talk about how free stuff is terrible, after 40 years of a massive transfer and redistribution of wealth and income from the working class to the big money donor class. Free stuff is flowing to the donor class in the forms of corporate welfare, trade deals, wars for profits, bailouts, anti-trust laws etc etc etc, keeping the donor class on top while laughing at the working class. I just dont get it. Why are so many republicans not bothered by the elephant in the room ****ting the hole room down but instead they continue to focus on some dust in the corner like food stamp fraud?
You mean like when Obama gave $540 million dollars to Solyndra? Or the $249 million Obama gave to A123 Systems (now bankrupt)? Or the $118 million he gave to Ener1 before they went bankrupt?

As for food stamp fraud... you do know that has cost us billions... you know that, right?

Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The "donor class" was bailed out by the middle class and to some extent the lowest classes.

By what mechanism?

Old 05-30-2016, 01:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
By what mechanism?
A lot of ways. Most notably Q.E.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:10 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Assuming that what you say is true, and I don't know if it is, do you get the concept that when the government supports business it is helping the working class?

Old 05-30-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Assuming that what you say is true, and I don't know if it is, do you get the concept that when the government supports business it is helping the working class?
That is a vast generalization. How does the government making it easier for a business to export U.S. jobs help the working class?

Old 05-30-2016, 02:06 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
A lot of ways. Most notably Q.E.

You mean the QE that has kept interest rates artificially low saving the working class billions?

Old 05-30-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You mean the QE that has kept interest rates artificially low saving the working class billions?
It has forced retirees back into the work force because the money they had planned on living on is drawing nothing.

The artificially low rates are kept low for one reason. To prop up Wall Street. When I bought my first house the rate was 9.9%. it didn't stop me. I sold cars when rates were over 10%. We still sold them. It's all relevant. There were very, very few cars over 20k then.

Yellen says she is going to raise rates a very small percentage and the markets throw a tantrum.

It always comes down to people supporting welfare programs when they see those programs benefitting them.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:38 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
That is a vast generalization. How does the government making it easier for a business to export U.S. jobs help the working class?
Why do you think the government doesn't prevent businesses from doing that? Could it be because we aren't China or North Korea, and we believe in the free enterprise system? As a general rule, the government should butt out of businesses, and they have every right to do whatever it takes to make a profit.

I do not think Trump is wrong, though, when he thinks there should be a tariff on goods manufactured outside of the country by American businesses, just like goods from any foreign country. This is one thing he is saying that resonates with people.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
It has forced retirees back into the work force because the money they had planned on living on is drawing nothing.

The artificially low rates are kept low for one reason. To prop up Wall Street. When I bought my first house the rate was 9.9%. it didn't stop me. I sold cars when rates were over 10%. We still sold them. It's all relevant. There were very, very few cars over 20k then.

Yellen says she is going to raise rates a very small percentage and the markets throw a tantrum.

It always comes down to people supporting welfare programs when they see those programs benefitting them.
Don't you have a 401K? I am just a working stiff whose retirement funds are 90% in the stock market.

It ain't that hard to join the "donor" class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies