Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 04:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have NO issue with police being investigated if they have crossed the line, and with this mechanism for doing so.

One condition though-if complaints are investigated and the complaints are found to be false, the initiator of the complaint is charged and made to pay the cost of the investigation. I suspect (and would like to see stats either way) that the vast majority of the complaints are bogus.
I wouldn't necessarily be against that as long as the investigation was conducted by a third party.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9ce74fb1e0dc

Should the police be able to "cover their ass" for violating someones civil rights by falsifying reports and charges or should they be fired?
People are quick to discuss the actions of the police except here..........anyone?

Old 09-21-2016, 08:41 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
The protests are making a difference.

True: The difference is tonight one protestor was killed by different protestor.

Mission accomplished?

Old 09-21-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have NO issue with police being investigated if they have crossed the line, and with this mechanism for doing so.

One condition though-IF complaints are investigated and the complaints are found to be false, the initiator of the complaint is charged with slander, made to pay a fine payable to the officer in question and made to pay the cost of the investigation. I suspect (and would like to see stats either way) that the vast majority of the complaints are bogus.

IMO they should also be required to put up the cost of the average such investigation, up front, into an escrow account that neither side is allowed to access.

If cop is found guilty, they get it back If not, escrow is seized towards paying actual cost of their investigation, plus the fine.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:41 AM

Still no one to address my question above. Should these cops remain cops?

Old 09-22-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Still no one to address my question above. Should these cops remain cops?

Until investigations conclude, answering that would be stupid.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Until investigations conclude, answering that would be stupid.
The recordings are there. You are not on a jury actually deciding their fates. If they did this should they remain police officers?

Old 09-22-2016, 04:27 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,826 times
Quote:
People are quick to discuss the actions of the police except here..........anyone?
Lying gets you fired quicker than anything else I can think of as a policeman

You can commit a lot of actions as a policeman that violate some policy of the department manual... If you tell the truth... You take your lumps but probably won't be fired ( unless what you do is a crime)

If you lie you will get fired..police hate liars...because that's what most people do all the time in their dealings with police.

This is taught from day one and reinforced regularly.

That's reality regardless of false narratives or sensational events.

I would relish "doing" a lying policeman...because they are crooked but only after it could be definitively proven they lied and knew it...

Walk a mile.....

Old 09-22-2016, 04:32 AM

858 posts, read 708,003 times
Quote:
The protests are making a difference. From the increased use of video to actual charges being brought forth in Chicago to things like this.

Baltimore police failed to share misconduct complaints with civilian oversight board; promise to do so now

Baltimore police have agreed to share complaints about officer misconduct with the Civilian Review Board, a beleaguered group created nearly two decades ago to provide citizen oversight of city law enforcement, after the department failed to forward hundreds of cases.

According to a Baltimore Sun analysis, Baltimore police did not forward to the board from 2013 to 2015 more than two-thirds of the police misconduct cases that are under its purview. The board takes complaints alleging excessive force, abusive language, harassment, false arrest and false imprisonment.

Under the agreement facilitated by City Hall last month, police will send the Civilian Review Board all citizen complaints but withhold investigative and personnel files until the board obtains a notarized copy from the complainant. The board had planned to go public with allegations that police were not following the law.

"The police were not following the law"........

Baltimore police failed to share misconduct complaints with civilian oversight board; promise to do so now - Baltimore Sun
I saw that and it made me wonder...why aren't compaints filed with the Civilian Review Board first...and then the civilian review board can file it with the Police department? That would make sure it doesn't get 'lost' or that the person filing the complaint isn't given the runaround

Old 09-22-2016, 04:40 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I saw that and it made me wonder...why aren't compaints filed with the Civilian Review Board first...and then the civilian review board can file it with the Police department? That would make sure it doesn't get 'lost' or that the person filing the complaint isn't given the runaround
Cherry pick...political fights..

Most departments serialize all complaints... They get reviewed at many levels
Founded
Unfounded
Unsubstantiated

Each of the above have guidelines as to how and why decisions are made

Then it gets entered into for example the "promis" database that is accessible by a number of different people for legal purposes.

This is reality and not narrative

Change comes from making your community better so the root causes of dysfunction in our world means police will be out of work

Great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies