Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 12:19 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
What if I embroider the name "TRUMP" in all caps gold thread across the middle of an american flag? Will that get me kicked out?
No but he might want to trade mark it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 12:24 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Simple minded thoughts from simple minded people.

Clue: It wouldn't be the American government doing the killing. Burning the Koran is protected speech in America. I would have thought you'd know that simple truth.
Good point. If you want to live in a country that outlaws burning of a national symbol, move to Iran.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:30 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
In Trumptopia, would you be allowed to burn a picture of a flag?

How about if someone goes online and posts a video or photo of a burning flag? Suppose it's not a real video or photo of a burning flag, rather one that was photoshopped - would that make a difference?

Is a picture or video of a flag any less a symbol of our country, any less deserving of respect than a real flag? If so, what is the distinction?
Good question. And exactly what constitutes an American flag? If it had 48 stars (pre-Alaska and Hawaii) would it be protected? If it had 12 or 14 stripes instead of 13 would it be protected? If the colors weren't the exact same shade as on the standard American flag would it be protected? Would any piece of cloth or paper with even a vague resemblance to an American flag be protected? This whole idea of giving protected status to an inanimate object is idiotic. Something you'd expect from some primitive society circa 10,000 BC.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Who on the supreme court would "deny the free speech rights of a person burning the flag in protest" ?
When the Supreme Court ruled that flag burning was permissible free speech, it was a 5-4 decision, so there were 4 justices who would deny free speech rights under those circumstances. Granted, that was 1989; we don't know how today's Court would rule.

But anyway, when I stated that "some of the same people would deny free speech rights to a person burning the flag in protest", I was referring more broadly to conservatives, not just SCOTUS.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If it was up to him, half the nation would be in jail.
maybe that is where 1/2 of them belong. Seriously, I do not believe anyone would really toss someone in jail for burning the flag: it falls under freedom of speech, but it is still a disgusting thing to do.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:38 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but it is still a disgusting thing to do.
It is an irrelevant thing.

The only thing Americans should take offense to is the infringement of their liberties, but these days, burning a stupid flag is far more offensive than their sovereign rights being urinated on. When the "nobles" of England said the peasants were not deserving of the responsibility of freedom, it is hard to argue when I see such misguided focus.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:38 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
maybe that is where 1/2 of them belong. Seriously, I do not believe anyone would really toss someone in jail for burning the flag: it falls under freedom of speech, but it is still a disgusting thing to do.
So is Westboro Baptist a dispicable thing but it is protected under the first.

The whole idea of protecting free speech is to protect exactly the speech that is considered despicable by the majority or the ruling government. Nobody cares if you say something they agree with and nobody will attempt to ban it. It's only the things you say or do that the majority or ruling party disagree with that needs to be protected. When free men are denied the right to speak out and protest against the ruling party or the government in charge then they are no longer free. The 2nd amendment was passed for exactly the reason to insure that free men can speak out against tyrannical rulers without fear and on equal footing.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I agree with the bold by the way, but I am also saying there are a lot of flag burners who are true terrorists. .
There are not "a lot of flag burners" period. It's just not something that's very common in this country.
There are also few "true terrorists" in this country. Terrorist attacks in the US are quite rare.

So, taken together, the number of "true terrorists" going around burning flags has got to be exceedingly small. In fact, this whole debate seems to me like a lot of kerfuffle over nothing.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:42 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
But you think "maybe that is where 1/2 of them belong?"

Old 11-30-2016, 12:53 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
What if I embroider the name "TRUMP" in all caps gold thread across the middle of an american flag? Will that get me kicked out?
Actually I think the plan is to replace all the stars with little gold T's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies