Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 08:28 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,909,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Does this bother you? You don't feel comfortable with your own sexuality do you?
People being stupid doesn't bother me, it is when they expect me to be stupid with them that I have issue and that list is an example of how stupid people really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 08:29 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,399,924 times
I'd love to know how many people responding to this thread have been registered, card-carrying, active members of the BSA. Show of hands?

Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 AM

5,666 posts, read 5,098,928 times
I was an Eagle Scout. Member of OA also. I took pride in those things until BSA was so seriously compromised.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
The basic goal of all the "Scouts" was to provide the "Empire" with a source of soldiers that already knew the basics of wearing a uniform, taking orders, working for the "good of the group" and weapons handling. I do not see how the details of a person's sexual identification or genital arrangement make any difference to being a soldier. Haven't we learned that none of that matters when they are shooting at you? Or you are shooting at them. A human being with a gun is still the "Most Dangerous Game".

Note: I was rejected by the Boy Scouts because I was not a Christian. I never could figure out where Scouting (military basics) and Christianity were connected.

Note: I eventually read almost all of their books but was slack on the uniform and taking orders part of the training.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:50 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,231,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
FTR, I'm an awesome parent. I'll ask you why the rest of us should be expected to go along with the pretense that a man can become a woman or vice versa? I don't want my child taught that this is possible, that the notion is in any way acceptable, or that these mentally ill creatures are safe to be around. And yes, I have already had that talk with my child. I would not want her taught differently in a classroom where the teacher or school board feels differently. Society is not served by going along with such a garbage idea that this is ok.
I don't give two ****s if you "go along with it." I'm talking about your view that people should be forcibly institutionalized.

And your wrong about mentally ill "creatures," as you call them, indicating that you are far too young to have children. Lot's of people are mentally ill and in no way represent a threat to others. There are varying degrees of mental illness. Most people rarely represent a threat to anyone, and if they do, it's usually to themselves. Trans people aren't really an exception.

To be clear, I'm asking you to justify your authoritarian positions, not your views on if being trans is right or wrong.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:56 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,231,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Reality plays the ONLY role when it comes to what sex a person is.
Normally I'd agree, but given how subjective reality apparently is, this does not pass as an argument. Some view reality as the Earth being made in 6 days and then having two people formed by God because some people need to feel special. Educated people don't agree with this reality. Educated people also tend to be very sympathetic to what the trans cause is about it, though there is plenty of disagreement on that front overall.

Point being, in America, many people craft reality in a way that is convenient for their beliefs rather than shaping their beliefs around reality. I can't actually be certain that your reality is based on something of substance or some supernatural myth told to justify ancient Jewish customs and laws. Or some other myth. So, make an argument or say nothing.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:07 AM

184 posts, read 144,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'd love to know how many people responding to this thread have been registered, card-carrying, active members of the BSA. Show of hands?
I was! I eagerly joined venture scouts when I (finally) became old enough. Even worked at a summer camp and a winter camp. I never wanted to join the girl scouts (I was very much a tomboy) and was so jealous of all the cool stuff my brother got to do. It was a great experience, and I'm glad I was able to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Normally I'd agree, but given how subjective reality apparently is, this does not pass as an argument. Some view reality as the Earth being made in 6 days and then having two people formed by God because some people need to feel special. Educated people don't agree with this reality. Educated people also tend to be very sympathetic to what the trans cause is about it, though there is plenty of disagreement on that front overall.

Point being, in America, many people craft reality in a way that is convenient for their beliefs rather than shaping their beliefs around reality. I can't actually be certain that your reality is based on something of substance or some supernatural myth told to justify ancient Jewish customs and laws. Or some other myth. So, make an argument or say nothing.
I was brought up Christian, and do believe in and follow the Bible. I'm also an educated person and believe in evolution. I've never had difficulty simultaneously believing both - the best way I can describe it is I believe one with my heart, and the other with my brain. I'm fortunate to know a lot of educated Christians who follow the Bible, but also follow the Greatest Commandment and love their neighbor.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:15 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,399,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwick View Post
I was! I eagerly joined venture scouts when I (finally) became old enough. Even worked at a summer camp and a winter camp. I never wanted to join the girl scouts (I was very much a tomboy) and was so jealous of all the cool stuff my brother got to do. It was a great experience, and I'm glad I was able to do it.
Very cool. I did not discover BSA until I married an Eagle Scout. Never looked back. I've gone places with the Boy Scouts that I never could have imagined. Wet caving? Mountain climbing? Zip-lining? White-water rafting? Quinzee building? Count me in!

Old 12-29-2016, 09:15 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,577,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
As a 64 year old curmudgeon, I can admit that the whole "trans" topic kinda creeps me out. However, I have seen enough and read enough to know that most of these people are in real pain, pain that we might not be able to understand. We are always learning new things about the human psyche. Forget the 19th century, just 25 years ago it was an accepted practice to mock "queers" openly. Now, gay marriage is the law of the land in most places. It is a challenge to our "normalcy bias" to have to make accommodations for trans people, just as it was and is a challenge for many to accept gays and lesbians. I always try to think about these things from the standpoint of "what if it was my kid"? That way we can bring a little more compassion to the conversation and realize that these are just people trying to live THEIR lives as best they can.
A true compassionate conservative. Given the fact that many transgender children commit suicide - I think we, as a society should be asking how we can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Life supports my argument.

Who does this hurt? I don't know, maybe nobody or maybe somebody. All I know is it's not realistic to tell an organization for boys that they have to allow girls who think they are boys or visa versa. Special accommodations like this are given only when everyone else involved agrees to do so. It's nice if it happens but shouldn't be expected. We all must live with that kind of thing.
This little boy was on television this morning. It hurt him. He joined the scouts to play with his friends and cannot understand why he can't play with his friends.

He looks like a boy and definitely wouldn't fit in the girl scouts.

The kids didn't care. The parents did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
But would an eight year old girl be permitted to join this particular group? Somehow I doubt it.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But you put forth nothing to support that argument. Who does it hurt to allow this boy to join the scouts( he was apparently already a member)
It hurts no one. Other than the boy. Who looks like a boy and acts like a boy.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:34 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,462,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
As a 64 year old curmudgeon, I can admit that the whole "trans" topic kinda creeps me out. However, I have seen enough and read enough to know that most of these people are in real pain, pain that we might not be able to understand. We are always learning new things about the human psyche. Forget the 19th century, just 25 years ago it was an accepted practice to mock "queers" openly. Now, gay marriage is the law of the land in most places. It is a challenge to our "normalcy bias" to have to make accommodations for trans people, just as it was and is a challenge for many to accept gays and lesbians. I always try to think about these things from the standpoint of "what if it was my kid"? That way we can bring a little more compassion to the conversation and realize that these are just people trying to live THEIR lives as best they can.
They are in pain because they have an underlying mental disorder. They aren't transgendered, they are nuts and need medication. There is only a very tiny percentage that were actually born wrong, like .1% if that. The rest of the 99.9% are just mentally unstable and are looking for attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies