Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The article posted said they will still release scientific reports, so I'm not sure where you got that.

The belief many seem to have here is that federal employees have unfettered ability to speak to the press. The reality is that only a handful of people in any given agency are allowed or have ever been allowed to speak to the press without approval.

They changed the person approving messages temporarily until they get their people in place at the agencies in question. Big whoop.

There is nothing dictator-ish about it. Smart business. The way all corporations and large organizations operate.

As for knowing what they are doing, all they should be doing right now is holding down the fort on their essential missions and if they are really smart they are sitting at their desks making cases for programs/budgets they believe are important so they can intelligently brief their new bosses.

Making their case in the press is unprofessional.
this is what so many don't seem to understand. you made the case very well.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:59 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not surprising that Obama would put out gag orders, and the dems don't care.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:01 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Absolutely nothing good about media black-outs.
I agree with you. This isn't "good", it is "GREAT" and about darn time. There is no reason for the world to be in the business of our government! I continue to be a proud Trump supporter! Let's get it done!

Old 01-25-2017, 09:01 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
None of our recent presidents have ever told entire departments not to release scientific research, not to speak to the press, not to publish messages on social media, and not to send any emails without having them reviewed....

NONE
Quote:
No where in your link does it say there was a ban on releasing scientific studies or in issuing awarded grants or to stop posting on social media sites.
again: they can publish as many scientific papers as they are capable of churning out/getting accepted, so I'm not sure why you keep stating this.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:04 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Wow, you people are just very unAmerican!

Politics always has opposing views. Talking and having a dialogue about them and even arguing about them is all a part of "politics as usual." No side should be censored!!

Something is very wrong with you all if you think any side should be censored.
Federal employees are not politicians. In fact, they are prohibited from engaging in partisan politics on the job. The whole idea of career federal employees is to prevent this.

Their job is to carry out the direction of the administration in office. Nothing has changed.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I agree with you. This isn't "good", it is "GREAT" and about darn time. There is no reason for the world to be in the business of our government! I continue to be a proud Trump supporter! Let's get it done!
I am sure you are getting what you wanted.

"I am from the government. We are in control, and you do not need to know what we do, just trust us. Now, open your wallet and give me your money".

Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
When is the last time entire departments have been ordered under media black-outs?

Let's not pretend this is normal. This is not normal.

Alternate facts, media black-outs, arrest of journalists, tsunami of executive orders.....

Not normal.
This. I hate to say I told you so, but yep, I told you so. I have voted R in other presidential elections, but I didn't this time, because I figured out very quickly that Trump is CRAZY! So did more than half of America, including some voters who normally vote R (my wife being one of them,) and now it's too late.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Federal employees are not politicians. In fact, they are prohibited from engaging in partisan politics on the job. The whole idea of career federal employees is to prevent this.
They were not instructed to not engage in partisan politics, they were told to not say anything about any topic. Huge difference.

Quote:
Their job is to carry out the direction of the administration in office. Nothing has changed.
They don't work for the admin, they work for THE PEOPLE, and so does Trump, although he clearly does not understand that. We have every right to know how out money is being spent by these agencies. Their mission is defined by the Congress, not the president.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:16 AM

1,544 posts, read 925,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Congress and the SC have no say at all. Those agencies are not part of government, they work for the POTUS, remember?

Do you not remember the three branches of government?

President = Executive
Congress = Legislative
Supreme Court = Judicial

I'm guessing you failed U.S. Gov't in high school...

Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
When is the last time entire departments have been ordered under media black-outs?

Let's not pretend this is normal. This is not normal.

Alternate facts, media black-outs, arrest of journalists, tsunami of executive orders.....

Not normal.
It is entirely normal.

Every administration comes in and halts/delays/reviews things done at the eleventh hour by the previous administration.

What's actually more normal is that entire agencies gag themselves when they have controversial or potentially controversial issues going on. These agencies weren't smart enough to do that so it was done for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies