Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 09:31 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They were not instructed to not engage in partisan politics, they were told to not say anything about any topic. Huge difference.

They don't work for the admin, they work for THE PEOPLE, and so does Trump, although he clearly does not understand that. We have every right to know how out money is being spent by these agencies. Their mission is defined by the Congress, not the president.
It is a huge difference. Its worth noting this directive did not go out to all agencies.

Apparently, there are things going on at these agencies or potentially controversial issues to the level the agencies are not trusted to communicate what the administrations position is.

Imagine the chaos this country would be in if every federal employee or even just the PR employees were able to run around espousing their political views or opinions contrary to the administration every day.

The president does indeed determine how any individual agencies mission is accomplished. You do not understand how your govt works.

To the extent he angers Congress with that determination they have the leverage of funding/not funding to fight back.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:38 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
FWIW, I was never told as a federal employee to not talk to the media at all. I was warned about a few things though: if I espouse personal views they should be with the disclaimer that they are mine and not the agency's views, and, no politics while in an official capacity (i.e., I can't stand there at a political rally in a government uniform or engage in politics on government time), and it can be risky talking to the media because they'll try to get you to say something or take what you say out of context for an agenda and that can lead to bad things. I always avoided any contact with the press or answering controversial questions by referring them to the district office.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:41 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
"federal service"

hehe

Quote:
The executive director for the advocacy group Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, Jeff Ruch, said the orders go beyond what has occurred in prior presidential transitions.

"We're watching the dark cloud of Mordor extend over federal service," Ruch said Tuesday, referring to the evil kingdom in the epic fantasy, The Lord of the Rings.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Imagine the chaos this country would be in if every federal employee or even just the PR employees were able to run around espousing their political views or opinions contrary to the administration every day.
Imagine that we have not had media black-outs before and it did not result in the country being in chaos as you suggest.

Its funny you'd say that about them talking about their personal political views, when I just told you they were not told to stop espousing their political views or opinions, but to stop talking about any topic, even their work.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:57 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
"federal service"

hehe
Uhmm, you live in Colorado and don't think the feds provide you with any valuable services?

Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Absolutely nothing good about media black-outs.
and so it begins, he won't be happy till he blocks out all press that doesn't walk in lockstep or go along with his alternative facts. everyone who values free speech should be worried about this.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:02 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
None of these have anything to do with the executive of our nation - i.e. the President instructing federal departments not to post on social media, not to send emails without review, not to publish scientific research, not to attend scheduled conferences without permission/review, etc.

Actually it has everything to do with it. Again, the goal is to diminish the chances that these departments can manipulate what goes out to the media without the information being reviewed first. I don't know why that is so difficult to see and why you are ignoring that they have done this in the past.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:06 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Imagine that we have not had media black-outs before and it did not result in the country being in chaos as you suggest.

Its funny you'd say that about them talking about their personal political views, when I just told you they were not told to stop espousing their political views or opinions, but to stop talking about any topic, even their work.

Please go back through the thread... I've already posted that we have had numerous media blackouts in the past. Do you know why you didn't see them on the front page of the news when they were going on?

Because they were BLACKOUTS and those in office made sure they were kept quiet. The media didn't get wind of them until after the fact, unlike in this instance where the blackout was made known up front. It was not hidden or covered up.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:07 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:

There are media black-outs all the time, whether they are called that or not.

Federal employees are frequently instructed to refer all press inquiries to a central place on a given topic or all topics other than routine things exempted.

You don't hear about it, because its done internally and there aren't employees complaining to the press about it.

Clearly EPA is in for an overhaul from this administration. Understandably, some employees there wont be happy about that. Until they have someone in charge of the agency in place, they decided not to let existing employees speak for the agency. That is the administrations prerogative. Its nothing new or alarming.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:08 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Please go back through the thread... I've already posted that we have had numerous media blackouts in the past. Do you know why you didn't see them on the front page of the news when they were going on?
I have read the thread, and there has been nothing which comes close to comparing with this level of censorship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies