Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Take them down or leave them up?
Take them down. They're offensive. 133 36.14%
Leave them up. It's history. 235 63.86%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:52 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I think there will be several main factors which corroborate the '3rd Spike' of protests & rallies related to the defense of the Confederacy. The mass shooting that took place at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in downtown Charleston, SC on June 17, 2015 will be one. The elections of both Barack Obama & Donald Trump is another.

It's worth noting the '3rd Spike' of protests & rallies are in defense of the Confederacy itself & have nothing to do with Confederate cemeteries, etc.
In short, over 150 years later, there are many people who still haven't gotten over losing the war and losing a way of life they so cherished.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Sounds good to me.

This one, apparently, is still going up?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conf...al_of_the_Wind
Well, it's on private property, so it's being allowed to stay. Personally, I would never live in that part of Texas.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
My question still hasn't been answered. What is the end goal? Will removing all the states and renaming anything that carries a Confederate name be enough? If not, what else? Do the Confederate cemeteries have to be destroyed? Do museums that have a Confederate theme have to close? Do museums that merely have a Confederate display have to remove it? Do plantation houses have to be torn down? After all traces of Confederates have been removed, will the same then occur for anything to do with slave owners? What is the end goal that will make the black community happy? This is a serious question.
Again, what is the end goal of the black community? I understand how they feel about Confederates and do not dispute that their feelings are valid. Will removing statues and renaming various public venues satisfy the outrage or is there more that is wanted?

Old 06-08-2017, 02:09 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Again, what is the end goal of the black community? I understand how they feel about Confederates and do not dispute that their feelings are valid. Will removing statues and renaming various public venues satisfy the outrage or is there more that is wanted?
Taking the statues down is the least of what honestly should be done. The r-word. That's a whole other topic that's already been debated several times. But yeah, stop pouting about something symbolic like this. Life will go on. You can't go around telling blacks to get over things, but you've got statues up for the opposing stance on the same issue.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:57 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Taking the statues down is the least of what honestly should be done. The r-word. That's a whole other topic that's already been debated several times. But yeah, stop pouting about something symbolic like this. Life will go on. You can't go around telling blacks to get over things, but you've got statues up for the opposing stance on the same issue.
The Confederacy is not my issue. My family was on the Union side. I have no Southern roots. In fact you couldn't pay me enough to live in the South. The culture does not appeal to me and I hate the climate. Paradise for me is live and let live Northern New England, both culture and climate.

I have not told blacks to get over it but rather have asked several times what is the end goal. The discussion is about statues but nobody is saying whether the black community will be satisfied if they are all gone or whether there is in fact a list of next steps that will be moved on to after the statues are gone.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleyCouch17243 View Post
People should be able to honor what they want on their property or person. And other people should be able to make it clear they disagree.
I live in an area where some residents fly Confederate flags from their front porches (mainly in working class areas where there are alot of old houses from the 1970s). They have that right. And I have the right to let them know that I disapprove of the Confederate flag. I also understand that among some, this can illicit a very defensive response.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
The Confederacy is not my issue. My family was on the Union side. I have no Southern roots. In fact you couldn't pay me enough to live in the South. The culture does not appeal to me and I hate the climate. Paradise for me is live and let live Northern New England, both culture and climate.

I have not told blacks to get over it but rather have asked several times what is the end goal. The discussion is about statues but nobody is saying whether the black community will be satisfied if they are all gone or whether there is in fact a list of next steps that will be moved on to after the statues are gone.
Well, for me, it is much more personal. I don't think I have any ancestors who fought for the Confederacy. However, most of my ancestors were slaves. The Confederate's cause was about making sure my ancestors were enslaved.

You have no connection with the South, nor did your ancestors have anything to do with the Confederates. I get that. Here is the end goal. It is about setting right what was wrong. Those Confederate statues represent so much about what was wrong with the South. The end goal is to tear down the last vestiges of a dark and nasty era for the South. Recognizing that Confederates deserve no honor is the first step. It is the first step in radically changing things for the better.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:10 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Better hurry and make your donation.

https://www.gofundme.com/forest-park-monument

Old 06-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Better hurry and make your donation.

https://www.gofundme.com/forest-park-monument
Looking at the list of people that donated, it isn't only Black people who want those Confederate statues down.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:11 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In short, over 150 years later, there are many people who still haven't gotten over losing the war and losing a way of life they so cherished.
Do you think there was ever a time when folks actually desired to be reunited? Yearned for healing? President Lincoln was assassinated 5 days after the Confederacy surrendered. 5 days. With an already mourning Country.

It seemed like Mr. Lee & Mr. Davis were suggesting healing here anyway:

Quote:
...A quick Google Books search reveals that Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate Army during the Civil War, was uncomfortable with the banner. In 1865, Lee wrote in a letter to the Gettysburg Identification Meeting committee that the flag should be put away — and hinted at the negative emotions it evokes to this day:

Quote:
"I think it wisest not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the example of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered."
Similarly, Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War and noted reluctant secessionist, wrote in his 1881 apologia The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government:

Quote:
"My pride is that that flag shall not set between contending brothers; and that, when it shall no longer be the common flag of the country, it shall be folded up and laid away like a vesture no longer used."
Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis Wanted The Confederate Flag To Come Down In The 1800's, According To These Books
https://www.bustle.com/articles/9611...n-in-the-1800s

https://books.google.com/books?id=VN...eeting&f=false

If some folks at least were interested in reuniting &/or healing, why the spikes?

I think it's likely we're living through the '3rd Spike' in the present day. The intervals in between seem to be shortening, wonder what that signifies, if anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies