Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 02:57 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Automatically valued lower because blacks commit way many crimes.

Racism does not compel Black people to commit murders, mostly murdering fellow blacks.
In any given year only .000125% of black people are murders. And less than 5% commit any violent crime...

The perception that black people commit crime, no matter our income or educational backgrounds is one of the reasons why majority black neighborhoods are valued less. That view - that blacks are superior in criminality versus whites, is a racist idea. Also that black children are dumber than white children and will make the "schools bad" is a common racist idea that also causes the de-valuation of black neighborhoods. Valuation of property is built upon society's views of the residents.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're missing the point. The ones who DO vote Dem have disproportionately high rates of poverty and enrollment in means-tested public assistance programs.
No....I am not missing the point......I was the one making the point (a point in which you are now obfuscating) about the root of your argument. My point is that your statement that I originally quoted implied a distinction with a difference between the intelligence of the black vote vs the implicit white vote. You did not make a CLASS ARGUMENT!!! You explicitly made a claim about a RACE, which implicitly implies a distinction with a difference relative to one or more other races. Now you are trying to go from RACE to CLASS, when I challenged the implication of your initial claim as arguing black intellect inferiority.

People in poverty tend to vote Democratic as a means of mitigating or helping them rise out of their poverty. However, what seems to escape you is that despite 90% blacks voting democrat, THE VAST MAJORITY OF BLACKS ARE NOT POOR!!!! Hence, for blacks voting Democrat is not a CLASS ISSUE, which you are trying to make it. So you attempting to make the choice to vote democrat to be rooted in CLASS is not as true for blacks as it may be for whites, if it is even true for whites.

Each political party is a package deal. There is an array of platforms and policies that have become traditional for the two parties. If you are a republican, they may have policies that benefit you and policies that hurt you, but you vote based upon the NET EFFECT based upon what you value the most or what you conclude to be your greatest needs. The same is true whether you are black or white. You look for the NET effect of the policies of a party or candidate, notwithstanding some policies that might not be best for you.

Even if the democratic party is oppressive to blacks in some ways, blacks have decided that the net effect is less oppressive than the other political choices. If you think blacks as a collective voting 90% dem are making the wrong choice, then deductive reasoning says that you believe that whites are smarter than blacks because 90% of whites are not making the same choice. Your argument about POOR and POVERTY guiding the decision is bogus, as I pointed out, because THE MAJORITY OF BLACKS ARE NOT POOR, YET VOTE DEM!!!!

With that being said.......you are hell bent on avoiding facing the racial implications of your argument, which is why you tried to obfuscate and turn the argument into an issue of class, which is being dishonest or ignorant because the majority of each economic class among blacks, whether poor, middle class or upper class....VOTE DEM!!!.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-24-2017 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 PM

195 posts, read 177,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What do you say about these neighborhoods?

Living It Up: 10 Affluent Black Neighborhoods
I'm reporting this information to The Man, he's slipping...

Not sure who these black people think they are; breaking stereotypes and succeeding. Must be drug money.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
No, not at all! I like this discussion and am enjoying it! And I'm glad that you do that and educate others on this! The thing I hate is letting society keep us down for no reason, so it's a great thing to be educated on.

My dad could've fell for the same "yay lets rely on society and gov't tell me what to do". Instead, just researched and found ways to get out of it.

But yeah, this study is just difficult and I just think it's hard to lump an overall picture of the nation into one graph. When I used to work on short sales and foreclosures, we didn't do nationwide stats, but it mainly was always divided up by at least state, but usually it was always city/state and we looked at property values and the trends in the real estate market during that time. (I was involved with that Home Affordable Mortgage Loan program a few years ago). It's just a ton of data to consume.

On the bold, it is!

I used to do a lot of analyst duties with that data and went to (too many) seminars, conventions, and training's on this subject where we reviewed GIS information when it really started to get more focused and widespread use.

The most interesting thing to me in housing trends was learning that white flight is still occurring pretty readily but not in as dramatic a fashion as it used to. So IMO that is a good thing.

But it does still occur and today it is primarily occurring in the suburbs. A majority of blacks (and I believe hispanics as well or close to it with them) live in the suburbs now. As blacks have moved to what is considered "inner ring" suburban cities, whites have moved to further out suburban communities. This is still happening today in many major urban areas.

Also the topic of gentrification is interesting whereas more trends on white Americans are being studied and it shows that just like they will move from a neighborhood or suburban community if the black or hispanic demographic reaches around 18% or higher; whites who gentrify in a predominantly black/Latino community, once about 15-20% whites move into those areas, other whites will see it as a "hot" area due to the white people and move in.

Race really is highly involved in housing and the economic ramifications on black Americans is something that we really need to focus on as a demographic IMO. Instead of complaining about it, we need to acknowledge that it is there and seek a way to maneuver around it for our families to build a better economic legacy for our children. Income disparity is much more difficult to combat IMO because of the stereotypes of us being dumb and unqualified, but if we have a middle income, we can invest in assets that will build our family's wealth and wealth is more important than income.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post

Not sure who these black people think they are; breaking stereotypes and succeeding. Must be drug money.

Most black people break stereotypes and succeed

Old 03-24-2017, 03:45 PM

1,378 posts, read 738,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How can anyone have any respect at all for public education, given the results? Even the highest scoring racial/ethnic demographic doesn't even break a 50% proficiency rate.

And Blacks? Only 7% of all 12th grade Blacks are proficient in Math, and 16% in Reading? And anyone wonders why there's such extreme income and wealth gaps?

Come on... /SMH
Well maybe if parents did THEIR JOB and not expect teachers to do it then we would get somewhere..It's a teachers job to teach, not to spend the whole class period telling you why you need this and why you should be motivated...your motivation is to be smart and not be poor..but parents today want the teacher to do all this and teach 35 kids ina 55 min period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Also, most whites don't blow their cash on 24inch rims for a leased BMW or junk with no real value to look affluent to their peers. How about "marrying up" instead of picking a spouse who is as poor as you? Two fast food workers are not going to accumulate any wealth.

Funny, i had a white girl tell me this that i should "marry up" and stop going out with "mexican girls"..The thing was that i had more education than her entire family put together. She also was staying at home so she could lose weight and get on disability for "bipolar disorder" even though she could work.

I knew culturally we would just not work..her mom has heart problems..her dad can barely pay the bills...and where is she? Drinking beer and relaxing in the pool..yeah i would have kicked her butt out. At least that hispanic girl would have helped out instead of being lazy. smh

Old 03-24-2017, 03:46 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,917 times
I see the race war groups are out with their spams.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:06 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post

Before you make blanket statements about AA show us the general public a citation or two....

I don't want you to be giving the great citizens of the United States of America ( ANY FAKE NEWS )!!!!

THE WEALTH OF THE AA COMMUNITY COMES FROM DRUG MONEY LINK PLEASE!!!!

Old 03-24-2017, 04:33 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Also, most whites don't blow their cash on 24inch rims for a leased BMW or junk with no real value to look affluent to their peers. How about "marrying up" instead of picking a spouse who is as poor as you? Two fast food workers are not going to accumulate any wealth.
most whites blow their cash on other crap too. A lot of it being something like travel and vacations AND RIMS. Don't play this game please. Like whites aren't blowing money on crap like skydiving. The difference is white money is gonna go back to white people. Black dollars don't circulate amongst blacks like that, and it's been designed that way. And what's funny is when blacks even talk about "buying black" many whites call it reverse racism...even though these same people will quickly tell us that "bootstrap" mess.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Considering most Americans find wealth in home ownership and generational wealth (even as small as passing along the family home) it is of no surprise there is a huge wealth gap.

1. Black people weren't allowed to get loans
2. Black people live in neighborhoods were home prices do not appreciate as rapidly
3. Redlining is common, even now, in neighborhoods with "too many" latino and black people
4. Black and latino adults are more likely to need to help other family members make ends meet and deplete resources and savings

So yes, 200+ years of policies have compounded and leave us with a wealth gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies