Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 05:11 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Considering most Americans find wealth in home ownership and generational wealth (even as small as passing along the family home) it is of no surprise there is a huge wealth gap.

1. Black people weren't allowed to get loans
2. Black people live in neighborhoods were home prices do not appreciate as rapidly
3. Redlining is common, even now, in neighborhoods with "too many" latino and black people
4. Black and latino adults are more likely to need to help other family members make ends meet and deplete resources and savings

So yes, 200+ years of policies have compounded and leave us with a wealth gap.
This. This. This. This.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
yup, shows that institutional racism, well- it does really still exist.

Despite what all the naysayers would have you believe on this forum with all their mockery and ridicule of SJW-ers...

(or maybe its like that guy on the radio was saying yesterday- that he is ok with white privilege, and wants his kids to have it too-
at least he's being honest)...
Hispanic ain't a race. Tho to be fair: word is the more "anglo" in culture a Latino family is, the less chance their kind will even claim "Hispanic". Too; take out the illegal alien Latinos, I think the income gap between anglos and Hispanics closes like as in real fast.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I'm going to look at medium income first and then median wealth later ...

I Googled. The Pew Research Center....
White 2 party families $71,300
Afro-American 2 party $43,300
BA/BS 2 party white family
$106,600
BA/BS Afro-American 2 party family
$82,300
Uh; that ain't a real big gap between $106K and $82K, only 20 percent less. Too; many Black people have "easier" degrees compared to many anglo white people.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:27 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,871,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; that ain't a real big gap between $106K and $82K, only 20 percent less. Too; many Black people have "easier" degrees compared to many anglo white people.
but also to be fair, most of us (race irrelevelant) would rather have that 20% right? Thats pretty significant to me- it could put my kid through college for that year, and thats a big deal.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Obama never focused on institutional racism but rather he encouraged an end to personal racism.

Institutional racism is worse in some ways because it keeps populations economically dis-empower.

I went through plenty of personal racism in Catholic high school at a mainly white high school, and a lot more of it in the US Marine Corps. But I encountered little to no institutional racism in either. In other words those institutions did not work to hold me back even though some individuals and some of my peers openly expressed their racism to me.
That's just weird about the USMC since to me, a civilian, ALL Marines are the same "race", colored "green".

Old 03-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
When black people move to "good neighborhoods" that are majority white, white people will move away. Once those white people move away, even with upper income blacks predominantly left, that neighborhood will lose value.

Again, you all seem to be naive to this simple information for some reason.... (again back at ya lol )
That must be an eastern US thing cause MOST Black people who are higher income in Phoenix live in "white" areas, like Scottsdale and the anglos usually DON'T move out.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Considering most Americans find wealth in home ownership and generational wealth (even as small as passing along the family home) it is of no surprise there is a huge wealth gap.

1. Black people weren't allowed to get loans
2. Black people live in neighborhoods were home prices do not appreciate as rapidly
3. Redlining is common, even now, in neighborhoods with "too many" latino and black people
4. Black and latino adults are more likely to need to help other family members make ends meet and deplete resources and savings

So yes, 200+ years of policies have compounded and leave us with a wealth gap.
Why would anybody need loans to buy anything? I saved enough to pay off my first home. Now I am buying my second again with full payment.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:26 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That must be an eastern US thing cause MOST Black people who are higher income in Phoenix live in "white" areas, like Scottsdale and the anglos usually DON'T move out.
Um, it most certainly happened out west. Just look at Downey and Lynwood, CA in the LA Area, they both used to be majority white, before Mexicans moved into Downey and first blacks, then Mexicans moved into Lynwood. Now both cities are less than 10% white

Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Why would I want my kids to be as poor as black and hispanics? Seriously, SJW's, if you don't give all of your wealth to poor blacks and hispanics, you are complete hypocrites. Y

My white privilege was obtained from my Father who taught me to join the military and put your life on the line, study and get advanced degrees, work more than everyone else, don't overspend, invest wisely, put your kids in the best schools you can and teach them to work, love your family and country.
Yes my grandparents said the same thing. And you know what, lots of people are still poor. We have family land, family homes and they are not worth as much as the ones a few miles up the road with similar conditions. It's the black tax in action.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
IMO, the graph is meaningless unless it incorporates education, experience, credit scores, licensure, etc.; all the things that have meaning in earning potential!
^^^^ This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies