Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:02 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I consider it to be the height of hubris for a very wealthy person to suggest that living in government housing is too good for the poor. What does he, and the rest of the people that want to punish the poor, want? To have people living in Campgrounds in 8 x 12 campers because they cannot afford anything better? Being poor is punishment enough.
The idea is to force them to think about bettering their situation if they want more. If they truly can't do for themselves they are stuck with what they get. That's just life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,667 times
"Well son, we'd like it if you would move out, be more self-sufficient, and get on with your life, but we also want your life to be as easy and comfortable as possible here."

I don't see what could go wrong.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:33 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,091,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The idea is to force them to think about bettering their situation if they want more. If they truly can't do for themselves they are stuck with what they get. That's just life.
This^
All the government should be held responsible for, at the most, is a minimally acceptable standard of living. Anything beyond that should be something the person should aspire to and make their own effort to obtain. Even then, the minimum in this country is often times much better than the average middle class family would have in the rest of the world.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
LOL at Ben Carson.

If he implements any sort of HUD rule regarding making housing "less comfortable" he is going to get HUD sued out of the wazoo. I worked in housing for many years and those residents know their rights and they know how to bend a scenario and will turn his "less comfortable" into him being "discriminatory against the disabled."

I find it odd that he made these comments about a veterans housing community....

He doesn't want our veterans to be comfortable.....?

Most Americans want to take care of our veterans and VASH housing assistance and communities are something that usually both political ideologies feel is a good thing. FWIW him mentioning in the NYT article that they had everything "except a pool table" is funny to me because many of the VASH housing locations I was involved in developing had pool tables lol.

We appreciated our veterans and many of them who came to those housing communities were/are disabled and if he is going to lower their comfort level he is going to get sued.

I don't know why they put him in charge of HUD when he has no experience. I would be a better HUD secretary than him lol.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:35 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL at Ben Carson.

If he implements any sort of HUD rule regarding making housing "less comfortable" he is going to get HUD sued out of the wazoo. I worked in housing for many years and those residents know their rights and they know how to bend a scenario and will turn his "less comfortable" into him being "discriminatory against the disabled."

I find it odd that he made these comments about a veterans housing community....

He doesn't want our veterans to be comfortable.....?

Most Americans want to take care of our veterans and VASH housing assistance and communities are something that usually both political ideologies feel is a good thing. FWIW him mentioning in the NYT article that they had everything "except a pool table" is funny to me because many of the VASH housing locations I was involved in developing had pool tables lol.

We appreciated our veterans and many of them who came to those housing communities were/are disabled and if he is going to lower their comfort level he is going to get sued.

I don't know why they put him in charge of HUD when he has no experience. I would be a better HUD secretary than him lol.
Their rights? Lol Where are people entitled to a home at someone else's expense?

Old 05-04-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
he doesn't think they should get a cushy pad at govt. expense? the horror...
He spoke specifically about veterans housing as well.

From the NYTimes article that this "think progress" one was based upon (FWIW think progress is a highly biased, unreliable media source and so I never take their articles to be even a smidgeon of the real story so always just read their source and this time it was the NYTimes).

Quote:
Mr. Carson, the neurosurgeon-turned-housing secretary, joked that a relatively well-appointed apartment complex for veterans lacked “only pool tables.
You all probably are unaware of the fact that family public housing is on the decline so the people he is intending to affect with any changes will primarily be the elderly, the disabled, and veterans as these are the communities that there is a focus on creating and updating housing developments and apartments for.

I think all of them should be comfortable. Sticking the above populations in a huge room with bunkbeds and no TVs means that seniors will be breaking hips at the government's expense.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Their rights? Lol Where are people entitled to a home at someone else's expense?
Again, you all do not know anything about HUD rules/regulations or the "reasonable accommodation" laws that are a part of HUD and Fair Housing.

They have a right to "Reasonable Accommodations." This is an actual law and is included in the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

They know they have those rights and they will sue over them. I worked in housing for many years. There are lots of ways to bend "Reasonable Accommodation" and there are many ways for those residents to claim they are being discriminated against based on veteran status, disability (including addiction), age, family status (single parents/grandparents), etc.

Ben Carson needs to do some studying up on the laws instead of walking around places for photo ops and talking about "compassion."

Old 05-04-2017, 08:50 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Again, you all do not know anything about HUD rules/regulations or the "reasonable accommodation" laws that are a part of HUD and Fair Housing.

They have a right to "Reasonable Accommodations." This is an actual law and is included in the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

They know they have those rights and they will sue over them. I worked in housing for many years. There are lots of ways to bend "Reasonable Accommodation" and there are many ways for those residents to claim they are being discriminated against based on veteran status, disability (including addiction), age, family status (single parents/grandparents), etc.

Ben Carson needs to do some studying up on the laws instead of walking around places for photo ops and talking about "compassion."
Spout off all you want about it, I don't care about HUD rules, I do know it's immoral to force someone else to build you a home to their specification. And also found nowhere in the govts own rule book,the constitution.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-01-2017 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 05-04-2017, 08:53 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:

Knock it off. Nobody is going to win anything in a court case if they don't get 50 inch flat screens, top tier internet service, a large deck and a pool. That's just nonsense. If they want those things they have to work hard and pay for them like the rest of us do.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:57 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
I thought it was a stereotype to place Carson as head of HUD just because he is black and grew up poor. Such "qualifications." And Carson didn't want the job either. He's better than that because he even said he wasn't qualified.

Trump had a YUGE number of people he could have chosen, yet he decided to jump on the stereotype bandwagon that a black person who came from poverty would automatically know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies