Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 09:01 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What does he, and the rest of the people that want to punish the poor, want?
free housing is now considered punishment?

how very odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 09:17 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,651,065 times
What Carson said isn't wrong. Mortgages for $500K used to be handed out to people who had a heartbeat, but who only made 40K a year.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:13 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
What Carson said isn't wrong. Mortgages for $500K used to be handed out to people who had a heartbeat, but who only made 40K a year.
I don't want my tax dollars going to subsidize the person in this scenario.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Dr. Carson is right, you shouldn't give people Mercedes, it's not good for them if it's given to them. Otherwise, where is the incentive to work for something and be a contributing member of society.

Trump team is still making A's.
so make the people who live there- help clean up the place - paint, send them to be plumbers and electricians- teach them to cut trees, and so forth- part of the free-> education with duties

Old 05-04-2017, 12:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Again, you all do not know anything about HUD rules/regulations or the "reasonable accommodation" laws that are a part of HUD and Fair Housing.

They have a right to "Reasonable Accommodations." This is an actual law and is included in the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

They know they have those rights and they will sue over them. I worked in housing for many years. There are lots of ways to bend "Reasonable Accommodation" and there are many ways for those residents to claim they are being discriminated against based on veteran status, disability (including addiction), age, family status (single parents/grandparents), etc.

Ben Carson needs to do some studying up on the laws instead of walking around places for photo ops and talking about "compassion."
"Reasonable Accommodation" doesn't include Luxury Housing.

Government pays to house poor in luxury apartments with pools, wine cellars |Washington Examiner - March 2015.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:15 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
May be he should have said we have to provide them just enough so they are comfortable in their misery and never go anywhere. That's what you wanna hear.
Where can they go now?

Old 05-04-2017, 05:24 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
The point is that we do sometimes go too far in what we provide for public housing. Where I used to live (a small somewhat rural town in Massachusetts), they spent $350,000 per apartment to redo a complex for the entitlement crowd and about $300,000 per apartment to redo another complex. They literally created housing far above what the working poor in that community could afford. What they did was a slap in the face to those who struggle to support themselves and live within their means.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
The point is that we do sometimes go too far in what we provide for public housing. Where I used to live (a small somewhat rural town in Massachusetts), they spent $350,000 per apartment to redo a complex for the entitlement crowd and about $300,000 per apartment to redo another complex. They literally created housing far above what the working poor in that community could afford. What they did was a slap in the face to those who struggle to support themselves and live within their means.
It was certainly a Major Boondoggle for whoever owned that complex. It's always about MONEY and that's the problem. They owners didn't pay that $300,000 per apartment - the American Taxpayers paid for it, including the "working poor".

Old 05-04-2017, 05:38 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I do think affordable housing should be comfortable so although I disagree with word comfortable being used but I agree with the sentiment. Don't make things so good that "would make somebody want to say: ‘I’ll just stay here. They will take care of me.’”
This is what Ben Carson was getting at.

Some people live off Ramen Noodles each night to get by. They know it is temporary until they get more money to eat what they desire for the evening.

Affordable housing is a starter pack. It builds a foundation to where a person can continue to grow on their own.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Knock it off. Nobody is going to win anything in a court case if they don't get 50 inch flat screens, top tier internet service, a large deck and a pool. That's just nonsense. If they want those things they have to work hard and pay for them like the rest of us do.
They will go to court over internet service and cable. I've been involved in cases where residents have done so.

They especially will go to court if they get put into bunk bed....lol

Again, you all have no experience with people who live in these housing communities. They will, indeed sue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Your link from a biased news source is not about public housing - it is about the housing choice voucher program HCVP (formerly Section 8). Vouchers are not the same thing as veteran's housing communities or elderly/disabled public housing.

Vouchers can be used at whatever location they are accepted at. And FWIW, many residents have indeed sued to due not being able to live in these types of housing arrangements.

Residents sue over everything. That is why Carson needs to educate himself on the industry before he takes any drastic moves. He and Trump don't have any experience in this field. I think many of you and they themselves just don't understand that government is not the same as business. Trump recently said it was "harder than he though." I agree with him and told people that all the time. It is also funny to me that so many Americans think government workers have "cushy jobs" when those jobs are very hard and are governed by a lot of regulations and threats of imprisonment based on not following regulations.

In housing, you always give your residents the accommodations that they ask for unless you are open to being sued and run through the wringer in the press and probably fired and investigated by some agency.

Please note my comments on this thread are not saying that I don't think that reforms in housing are needed. My main point is that Carson toured a veterans housing location and spoke of them being "too comfortable." Why would you not want our veterans to be comfortable? IMO that's a pretty stupid thing to say and I know from experience that going forward, any changes made to make any residents less uncomfortable will have legal action taken. The place I worked got sued at least 100 times a year by residents. It happens ALL THE TIME! And it just a part of the job in most cases. We did all we could to not go to court as it is a waste of money. Only one case did we let go to court and that one was so ridiculous that we had to fight it. That was in 2010. I was called by a former co-worker in 2014 that we finally won that case lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies