Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 07:56 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How many here would want to live in those "comfortable" housings whom they advocate other people do?
Well given that young Ben Carson did live in poverty and got out of the cycle, he if anyone should know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 08:25 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,091,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is like the thread I created a few weeks ago, where I stated that conservatives think people need to be in squalor to have any "motivation" to work. And the responses here are bearing that out.....
To think otherwise is to deny human nature. This does not automatically mean that Conservatives feel that truly deserving people needing help shouldn't get it, just the people who have the ability and the opportunity to pull themselves out of a bad situation and don't take advantage of it.

The conservatives want to create more jobs for the people that want them, instead of taking handouts. Liberals consider themselves successful by keeping them in need of handouts. It's their way of buying votes. This is the liberal understanding of human nature, and how it can benefit them(the liberals).

Old 07-02-2017, 08:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Well given that young Ben Carson did live in poverty and got out of the cycle, he if anyone should know

I'd like to know how he paid for med school. I couldn't even afford law school.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
To think otherwise is to deny human nature. This does not automatically mean that Conservatives feel that truly deserving people needing help shouldn't get it, just the people who have the ability and the opportunity to pull themselves out of a bad situation and don't take advantage of it.

The conservatives want to create more jobs for the people that want them, instead of taking handouts. Liberals consider themselves successful by keeping them in need of handouts. It's their way of buying votes. This is the liberal understanding of human nature, and how it can benefit them(the liberals).

Creating low-wage jobs has not eliminated handouts to low-wage workers. Low-wage jobs arguably exacerbate the shortage of housing affordable to low-wage workers.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Bible says, if you refuse to work you shouldn't eat.

For those who are crippled, sickly , etc.. the safety net is for them only. Not for able bodied lazy people who want all for nothing.

I've paid rent to people who refuse to work and somehow they never stopped eating - or drinking or smoking weed.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:57 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
I think the quality of housing projects should incentivize people to desperately want to get out of them.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I think the quality of housing projects should incentivize people to desperately want to get out of them.

Means-tested programs have resource or asset limits which are fairly low. A parent living in Section 8 housing might need a few thousand dollars to move into unsubsidized housinng - first, last, deposit, etc. And a few thousand dollars might exceed the resource limit and thereby make the parent ineligible for Section 8 assistance. Plus there's the issue of coming up with that money in the first place.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:05 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Ben Carson, Affordable Housing Shouldn't Be Too "Comfortable". (generations, military)
........"According to The New York Times", the article said.And then the article launched into a series of exaggerations and misrepresentations.

Maybe CNN should run an article, too. They could quote an anonymous source!

Old 07-02-2017, 09:18 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times
Many of us came from very humble beginnings. We worked our way out of them by doing 2 jobs and sacrificing. Not everyone has the mental and physical stamina to do it. Many simply feel it is owed to them. Drive by a low income housing development and be prepared to be shocked. ATVs, boats, late model cars and the small yards littered with trash. That's what I see when I drive by the ones near where I live. Satellite dishes on every unit. Screens broken out and A/C units hanging out of the windows.
Should we be footing the bill for people who can afford boats, ATVs, Satellite service and late model cars? Maybe a little more oversight is in order.
My friend has a job doing the maintenance at the one in my town. Those people don't even have to shovel their own snow. Window screens are replaced constantly. Walls require patching constantly. Keeps him employed and disgusted.
When you don't have to pay for your home you don't really respect or appreciate it. Now to be fair, most folks living in those places are honest, working people who just need some help. No harm no foul on them. Then there are the single mother families and mom keeps popping babies out every other year. It's interesting to see the people living in low income opening the bar at 7 am. Can't hold a job, have no money, but can keep the bar in business.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:30 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
They should only get a cot and one meal a day at taxpayer expense.
a meal, why a meal? just a cot in a tent, in a old football fielld
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies