Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 03:30 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So what happened with the Scout leaders at the Jamboree?

How is it that they didn't recognize that Trump was inappropriate?

How is that they didn't put a stop to the booing and cheering?
Don't know. Some troops that I know are run by the Scoutmaster and parents, and sometimes their decorum bleeds through.

Not all troops behave the same, trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 03:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Nice to see GotHere finally acknowledge that what happened at Jamboree does not reflect the values the organization as a whole, with all of its messy parts, aspires to instill in our young people. Never forget that Scouting really happens at the troop level.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
This kerfuffle will die down, but the image of Boy Scouts booing and cheering for Trump will not.

When it is time to sign up each year, how many families will wonder how much of this goes on in Boy Scouts and factor that into their decision?

When their teen begs to quit scouting, how many parents will relucantly agree that the cons outweigh the pros?

When Boy Scouts show up at your door with their fundraising appeals, how many folks will decide that they'd rather not support such endeavors?

Old 07-27-2017, 03:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
This kerfuffle will die down, but the image of Boy Scouts booing and cheering for Trump will not.

When it is time to sign up each year, how many families will wonder how much of this goes on in Boy Scouts and factor that into their decision?

When their teen begs to quit scouting, how many parents will relucantly agree that the cons outweigh the pros?

When Boy Scouts show up at your door with their fundraising appeals, how many folks will decide that they'd rather not support such endeavors?
What on earth are you trying to get to here? YES, GotHere, it was upsetting. Terribly so! But as a former Den Leader, you seem to be cheering the destruction of Scouting, and I simply do not understand that. You too have led the Cub Scout version of the Oath and recited the Law with them as they prepared to cross over to Boy Scouting. Why are you not defending what we teach as more important than ever, even if we progress unsteadily toward our goals or even fail completely at times. If not the Scouts, then who?

Old 07-27-2017, 03:39 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
So what happened with the Scout leaders at the Jamboree?

How is it that they didn't recognize that Trump was inappropriate?

How is that they didn't put a stop to the booing and cheering?
I see that an official with the Boy Scouts organization has issued an apology:

Boy Scouts official apologizes for 'political rhetoric' of Trump speech - CNNPolitics.com

"I want to extend my sincere apologies to those in our Scouting family who were offended by the political rhetoric that was inserted into the jamboree," said Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh. "That was never our intent."

If I were a youth of 13 or so, and present at this jamboree, I would have had fun with 'cheering' and 'booing' at the President's urging, for such is the way of boys (unless they have changed since I was a boy). If I were Mr. Trump, I would not mistake such as thinking that the 40,000 youths agreed with his sentiments. Most probably thought he was a joke.

I was overseas when Mr. Trump made his speech, but the English-speaking news stations I received on the cruise ship certainly referred to said speech. Mr. Trump does garner attention, which he likes, of course.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:40 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
There are no lack of opportunities to hear how Trump thinks. Anyone with a WiFi connection has a direct line to his mind.

That's not what the Jamboree is about.

Nor is it what Boy Scouts are about.

But if the Scouts had all sat quietly and listened to Trump ramble on, I doubt there would have been much, if any, backlash. It was just Trump being Trump. No big surprise there.

It was the cheering and booing that has every troop in the country reviewing what Scouts stand for.
It was because an adolescent-minded POTUS was able to get a bunch of adolescent boys to join with him in the kind of stuff adolescent boys do.

You remain under the impression that 13-year-old boys in a "Whee! Away from home!" mindset think such things through.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:41 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:

The fact of the matter is that BSA has been attacked by BOTH the far left and far right and we've suffered as a result already.

This reaction by the Scouts at Jambo will certainly go down as self inflicted, but let's not get lost in the fact Trump found an easy audience to roil- teenage boys.

You should have seen the awkward displays of behavior a few years ago at our state wide camporee when Miss Montana Teen Rodeo Queen hung out with the guys, lol.

I mean sometimes you can't overcome teenage male stupidity, which seems where the President himself is stuck at.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:41 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
If I were a youth of 13 or so, and present at this jamboree, I would have had fun with 'cheering' and 'booing' at the President's urging, for such is the way of boys (unless they have changed since I was a boy). If I were Mr. Trump, I would not mistake such as thinking that the 40,000 youths agreed with his sentiments. Most probably thought he was a joke.
Exactly.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nice to see GotHere finally acknowledge that what happened at Jamboree does not reflect the values the organization as a whole, with all of its messy parts, aspires to instill in our young people. Never forget that Scouting really happens at the troop level.
I don't acknowledge that.

What happened at the Jamboree reflects on the values of the organization as a whole. That the leadership let this go on and then gave such a weak response to criticism, makes it clear that the BSA organization is fine with this.

That the Scouts booed a former President and cheered Trump's nasty comments tells me the character development mission has gone astray. What kind of values are you instilling in these boys anyway?

There may be wonderful things happening at the troop level. Who knows?

But at the organization level, Boy Scouts of America aligned themselves with Trump and his nonsense.

So be it.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:46 PM

If only the Scouts had lived up to their code.

What an example they would have set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies