Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 09:38 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yep. Basically, "parents" speaking ill towards their children, and it happens. Basically, alot of kids in the inner city go through child abuse.

I agree that many parents beat their kids because it is all they know how to do. We must also consider that some parents only view their children as a paycheck. One thing about these ghetto neighborhoods, there is a high rate of fatherless homes. It is mostly mothers beating their kids. Many of the mothers are immature when they give birth to children. Many have anger issues and take it out on their kids.

I agree that alot of violent kids are not growing up in positive environment. They likely have a violent parent "raising" them, they are likely used to solving disputes via violence.

I never thought of considering parenting classes. I think one reason it never comes up in these discussions is because there is a feeling of "some people shouldn't have kids".
If the mothers are immature what does that say about the fathers who abandoned their children? Because of the welfare state, single parenthood has been a major problem.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:36 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That is an ingenious suggestion and I will rep this post. It is rare that I get an opportunity to rep you but I look for those. I think every person who is pregnant and under, say, 20, as well as, if possible, the impregnator should be required to take such classes. I haven't thought through what the penalties should be for those who fail to attend. Just a great idea.

On a separate note, I asked Management to reopen this thread. Please, no race baiting. While the topic is inevitably racially tinged. by no means is any but a minority of any group involved in violence against teachers, or for that matter violence of any kind. While certain communities have such a problem and it needs to be addressed, insults are not the way to address it.
Thank you for getting thread back open again. The last thing we need is race baiting and people coming in to vent their racial resentments.

Now, as for parenting classes, I think every kid from 8th grade onward should be required to take a parenting class. Prepare them for the adult world. This should happen BEFORE a pregnancy takes place. I have a suspicion that a parenting class MIGHT make some kids think twice. I feel like we need to consider prevention. We never think about prevention.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I grew up in the deep south and moved to WV with my parents in high school. I remember being SHOCKED when one of the WV students punched my favorite typing teacher during class.

She just walked right up and punched her in the face. Race was not an issue at all.

In Alabama, students punched out each other but never, ever the teachers.

This was in the late seventies.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
If the mothers are immature what does that say about the fathers who abandoned their children? Because of the welfare state, single parenthood has been a major problem.
I do not think it says anything about the father. I see it as the other way around. If the "father" abandons the kids, it says something about that woman's choices. Alot of single mothers in the inner cities know what kind of men they are sleeping with. Many of them know they are sleeping with lousy, ineligible men. I notice that nerdy men have a hard time getting women, but hood rats and thugs can get women with ease. Yes, there are alot of lousy men, and the men have responsibility to share, but so do the women. A woman can prevent this problem by simply not getting in relationships with men who are thugs and hood rats. Men and women need to watch who they get involved with.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I grew up in the deep south and moved to WV with my parents in high school. I remember being SHOCKED when one of the WV students punched my favorite typing teacher during class.

She just walked right up and punched her in the face. Race was not an issue at all.

In Alabama, students punched out each other but never, ever the teachers.

This was in the late seventies.
I don't know what would be going on with West Virginia. West Virginia has alot of problems, but I would think between West Virginia and Alabama, Alabama would have an incident like this, especially in Birmingham. Alabama has a higher murder rate, so naturally, I would suspect Alabama. I'm thinking it depends on where you were in WV vs in Alabama.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:02 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,946,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
16-year-old MPS student arrested after punching teacher several times in the head

See the video. Why has the culture grown to the extent that people really believe they can beat a teacher to a pulp with impunity? Is this what people want for the police too; for the streets to become the Wild West, but with no Wyatt Earp? We need to allow teachers and police officers to control areas under their charge. I see nothing sensitive or appealing about that alleged "young man."And caught in the act? on video? Presumed innocent? Really?
America turned its back on the God of the Bible. Welcome to hell; it's only going to get worse.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Thank you for getting thread back open again. The last thing we need is race baiting and people coming in to vent their racial resentments.
You are welcome. We certainly disagree a lot but you know I am not a bigot. As far as getting the thread open I cleared the air on the issue of infractions.

Quote:
Now, as for parenting classes, I think every kid from 8th grade onward should be required to take a parenting class. Prepare them for the adult world. This should happen BEFORE a pregnancy takes place. I have a suspicion that a parenting class MIGHT make some kids think twice. I feel like we need to consider prevention. We never think about prevention.
Another brilliant idea. I hope I can remember to come back to rep you again.

The problem of course is inculcating the idea that children must be raised, not spawned like salmon and left to their own devices.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:57 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I saw a teacher punched out in the '70s. No cameras then.
In October 1972, my 10th grade social studies class, one of my friends, also named Jim and I both got A's the first quarter. He got an A+ the second quarter while I remained at A. I proceeded to punch out the teacher and put her in the hospital, in an expletive-laced attack similar to the one in Wisconsin. My grade was raised to an A+ the next time around.

She got the message. </sarcasm>

Old 01-14-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I do not think it says anything about the father. I see it as the other way around. If the "father" abandons the kids, it says something about that woman's choices.
You see it the other way around because you don't hold people accountable nearly enough. Since when is it the mothers fault concerning the actions of the father when it comes to sticking around and being in their childs life? I can think of few things that are more despicable than abandoning a child.

Quote:
Alot of single mothers in the inner cities know what kind of men they are sleeping with. Many of them know they are sleeping with lousy, ineligible men. I notice that nerdy men have a hard time getting women, but hood rats and thugs can get women with ease. Yes, there are alot of lousy men, and the men have responsibility to share, but so do the women. A woman can prevent this problem by simply not getting in relationships with men who are thugs and hood rats. Men and women need to watch who they get involved with.
So they brought it on themselves? They should know that many inner city men are despicable human beings and there is a good chance those men are irresponsible.

What changed? What made those men not care? I wonder if its because they know the kids will get financial support from government so they leave? All the while forgetting that the kids need guidance.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Why do you want government raising people from cradle to grave? That's not their responsibility. Especailly when it is government that created the problem in the first place.

It's a societal problem. Plus it's a waste of time for students who are not going to have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies