Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 11:49 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,238,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Dunno about what they teach in that class nowadays, it was the females who took it when I went to school. It was more about the physical aspects like cooking and not much about societal needs. Like how to speak to children and what things to teach them. I cannot recall any of my classmates mentioning child rearing being taught in that class.
Our family living students get an assignment to help them understand the 24/7 nature of having children. They get issued a computer baby to take home and care for for a certain number of days. The baby cries, loudly, when it is hungry, needs changing, or sometimes for no reason at all. The baby records whether it is held or put down, how long it takes to feed it or change it (determined by trying a different "key" for each need), and the students' grade for the project is determined by how well the student cares for its baby. The male students are notorious for just putting the baby in a closet until they return it to school. The girls tend to have stayed up all night trying to get the baby to stop crying. Many, many of them say it has made them not want to have children.

I agree that all students should have to go through this experience. Part of the problem is that the babies are fairly expensive, but our district has funded them for at least 15 years.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:18 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
16-year-old MPS student arrested after punching teacher several times in the head

See the video. Why has the culture grown to the extent that people really believe they can beat a teacher to a pulp with impunity? Is this what people want for the police too; for the streets to become the Wild West, but with no Wyatt Earp? We need to allow teachers and police officers to control areas under their charge. I see nothing sensitive or appealing about that alleged "young man."And caught in the act? on video? Presumed innocent? Really?

Really and truly, it must be said ......why does it always have to be Black kids involved in these situations. Now we are getting to a point where any violence carried out in our schools will invariably have one or more Black kids involved as usual.

Would it not a better idea of Black people to consider what kind of parenting they do provide at home. Is there not any real element of shame for acting so frequently in violent ways as we time and time again. Are we missing something maybe more important like perhaps unknown to non Blacks, is this violence and thuggery encouraged at home with Black people.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:55 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes, the deadbeat is responsible. So is the woman who knowingly sleeps with a deadbeat. This is just what I am saying. If a woman sleeps with and procreates with a man whom she knows is a deadbeat, she is as responsible as that man. I am saying that by avoiding deadbeats altogether, that will stop 90% of the problem.
How do you know who is a deadbeat & who isn't, though? It's different if you just pick someone up, sleep w/them & then get pregnant from a one night stand but what if the two were dating? People put up fronts. I dated a guy who was totally normal & charming for the first 3 months. I suppose that was his wooing period. Then his true nature started coming out & boy was he unstable. I also date a guy for about 2 months, we broke up & I found out about a month after we broke up that he murdered the girl he dated right after me. Talk about dodging a bullet! Anyway, I'm just saying that yes, many times you can know the guy is no good but often times, you just don't. Unfortunately, that's the chance all of us take when we start seeing someone.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:56 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
How do you know who is a deadbeat & who isn't, though? It's different if you just pick someone up, sleep w/them & then get pregnant from a one night stand but what if the two were dating? People put up fronts. I dated a guy who was totally normal & charming for the first 3 months. I suppose that was his wooing period. Then his true nature started coming out & boy was he unstable. I also date a guy for about 2 months, we broke up & I found out about a month after we broke up that he murdered the girl he dated right after me. Talk about dodging a bullet! Anyway, I'm just saying that yes, many times you can know the guy is no good but often times, you just don't. Unfortunately, that's the chance all of us take when we start seeing someone.
Many people do put up fronts. However, for the most part, alot of deadbeats are easy to spot. For starters, consider that said persons don't work, said persons are drug dealers, have dropped out of school, constantly in and out of prison, men that are basically doing nothing for themselves. That is one easy way to tell a deadbeat.

Your situation might be different. That said, alot of the situations that involved deadbeats, the woman knowingly picked a man who was a thug. Said person knowingly picked a person who was going nowhere in life. This is specifically what I am talking about.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Really and truly, it must be said ......why does it always have to be Black kids involved in these situations. Now we are getting to a point where any violence carried out in our schools will invariably have one or more Black kids involved as usual.

Would it not a better idea of Black people to consider what kind of parenting they do provide at home. Is there not any real element of shame for acting so frequently in violent ways as we time and time again. Are we missing something maybe more important like perhaps unknown to non Blacks, is this violence and thuggery encouraged at home with Black people.
Why is it important for you to say it?

Here is the true. I look at it as this is the ghetto. This is Milwaukee Public Schools. The inner city. Those who could do better got out and aren't coming back (unless it's hipsters and yuppies). Anyone who is a professional with a family to raise, regardless of race, isn't going to stay in the inner city very long. Or if they are, it's going to be private school for that family, or a magnet program if available.

Alot of Black parents do not raise their kids to be disrespectful or violent towards teachers. I never saw Black students beating up teachers. Black students would get into fights, but not with teacher. Then again, I lived in the suburbs. Did you ever consider that this is a big inner city underclass problem rather than solely a Black problem?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:52 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post

I thought the student and teacher disagreed about the interpretation of Macbeth or Hamlet and the conversation degenerated.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I thought the student and teacher disagreed about the interpretation of Macbeth or Hamlet and the conversation degenerated.
I don't know what started it, but that student shouldn't have punched the teacher.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I don't know what started it, but that student shouldn't have punched the teacher.
Even if the teacher proved some geometry theorem wrong, or thought "to be or not to be" was in Macbeth? I would have flattened my teacher over that.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Even if the teacher proved some geometry theorem wrong, or thought "to be or not to be" was in Macbeth? I would have flattened my teacher over that.
Please tell me you are joking around.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Please tell me you are joking around.
Why not? Is it not a method that dedicated students use to improve their grades? </sarcasm>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies