Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:57 AM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He has no business asking for a license from someone that has done nothing wrong up to that point.
A police officer can "ask" anything. There's a difference between asking and demanding under color of authority. Choose you words carefully.

Your poor selection of words notwithstanding, a police officer can absolutely demand your ID if you've done nothing wrong. He/she may have probable cause to believe you have committed a crime. Said probable cause may be based on facts and information of which you are unaware. Probably cause is not irrefutable evidence and sometimes the information the police officer is using to establish probable cause is incorrect. None of which changes that fact the he/she has probable cause and is therefore allowed to demand that you identify yourself. This scenario may or may not have applied to this particular case, but to state that a police officer has no right to ask you to identify yourself because you've done nothing wrong is demonstrably incorrect and is going to get you in trouble some day. You aren't one of those "sovereign citizen" goof balls, are you? Their incredibly misunderstanding of their rights is breathtaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 12:01 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He was killed because he refused to allow the officers to violate his rights. He was not selling cigarettes. He had none on him. He was simply recognized as someone who had in the past and the hyped up cops not finding a fight had to pick one of their own.

They had zero justification to search him. None.
You are correct. I used a poor example.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:37 PM

13,278 posts, read 7,316,697 times
I would rather see the police using tasers then a club which is what they used to use more often and lot of officers got stabbed that way or just going to the firearm sooner.

We ask the police to uphold the law and be a barrier between civilized and uncivilized people. Police don't have the luxury to check with liberals, local news, and civic leaders how to handle each traffic stop. They have to make a split second decision on the spot what to do or they end up dead. Body cameras have been an improvement to get rid of the cops which are bad there are more than just a few bad cops. During a traffic stop the officer has to keep control of the situation lot of times someone will end up dead more than often it's the police. I never see any discussion here about police getting shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irPrIAVnjqU

Old 09-17-2017, 04:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
A police officer can "ask" anything. There's a difference between asking and demanding under color of authority. Choose you words carefully.
I disagree. Where he has no legal authority to ask for something, he should not be able to even ask. When a police officer "asks" for something it's too fine of a line to say they are not demanding it.

Quote:
Your poor selection of words notwithstanding, a police officer can absolutely demand your ID if you've done nothing wrong. He/she may have probable cause to believe you have committed a crime. Said probable cause may be based on facts and information of which you are unaware. Probably cause is not irrefutable evidence and sometimes the information the police officer is using to establish probable cause is incorrect. None of which changes that fact the he/she has probable cause and is therefore allowed to demand that you identify yourself. This scenario may or may not have applied to this particular case, but to state that a police officer has no right to ask you to identify yourself because you've done nothing wrong is demonstrably incorrect and is going to get you in trouble some day. You aren't one of those "sovereign citizen" goof balls, are you? Their incredibly misunderstanding of their rights is breathtaking.
I had already covered this. They must have a probable cause they can express. "I'm suspicious" is not enough. If there was a murder and the suspect is described as a young very tall male and you are in a car fleeing town and are 22 and 6 foot 5, then they can ask.

I posted the Supreme Court ruling. I also stated he had "no business" not "no right".

Old 09-17-2017, 04:34 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Interesting theory. Try it on yourself and let us know.
My thought exactly. Might help with reading comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies