Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:12 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times

Advertisements

When you are stopped by a cop you do NOT get out of the car unless they ask you to. Period. If you do and they tell you to get back in the car but you refuse, you have automatically escalated the situation. Especially if there are two or more of you and certainly if the cop is alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 09:20 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
When you are stopped by a cop you do NOT get out of the car unless they ask you to. Period. If you do and they tell you to get back in the car but you refuse, you have automatically escalated the situation. Especially if there are two or more of you and certainly if the cop is alone.
Sure.

And because trained police officers have the right to defend themselves using deadly force and untrained citizens do not - the trained police officers are obligated to use deadly force as a last resort and use whatever means they can to deescalate the situation.

If they do not do this then they are responsible

Old 09-16-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Sure.

And because trained police officers have the right to defend themselves using deadly force and untrained citizens do not - the trained police officers are obligated to use deadly force as a last resort and use whatever means they can to deescalate the situation.

Sure. Next time you are in a situation with police don't comply and see what happens. Your actions will determine the outcome in 99.9% of situations.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:32 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Sure. Next time you are in a situation with police don't comply and see what happens. Your actions will determine the outcome in 99.9% of situations.
What a twisted point of view

Let's look it from a different one

Jackass cop: Next time a perp doesn't comply, let them see what happens. I'm 100% in control of the situation.

Now that that's out of the way, let's try to look at it from a reasonable point of view.

Since trained officers of the law have the right to use deadly force if threatened while untrained citizens do not, it is the obligation of the officers to use that force as a last resort and do everything they can to deescalate a situation.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Since trained officers of the law have the right to use deadly force if threatened while untrained citizens do not, it is the obligation of the officers to use that force as a last resort and do everything they can to deescalate a situation.
Of course it is. But that does not change what I said.

If a cop is a jackass, file a complaint.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 AM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Something else that is becoming alarmingly common is ignoring the context of a situation.

Note the post that was being responded to.

I'm not sure if people like you just aren't capable of recognizing these nuances or if you're resorting to hyperbole intentionally. In either case, you're bringing nothing valid to this debate with your baseless rhetoric.
I didn't ignore the context of the situation because I wasn't comment on the situation, I was responding to the wording of the post. Ironically, you're one who's guilty of ignoring context.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Read the article. She wasn't arrested for simply being in a car when the driver was driving illegally.

You're using a twisted type of logic that is becoming alarmingly common lately. My theory is that click-bait news articles use this approach and it has started to infect the general population.

One recent example is the Eric Garner case. When this unfortunate death took place, there were tons of articles, blog posts, etc., proclaiming he was killed for selling loose cigarettes. Not true. He died during a scuffle with police while resisting arrest for selling loose cigarettes. Two entirely different things.

I'm not sure if people like you just aren't capable of recognizing these nuances or if you're resorting to hyperbole intentionally. In either case, you're bringing nothing valid to this debate with you baseless rhetoric.
He was killed because he refused to allow the officers to violate his rights. He was not selling cigarettes. He had none on him. He was simply recognized as someone who had in the past and the hyped up cops not finding a fight had to pick one of their own.

They had zero justification to search him. None.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Sure.

Citizens most certainly do have a legal right to protect themselves even up to taking a life if need be and this applies to a police officer also.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:57 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That is not how the law works. There is no law that makes one guilty by association. I can not be arrested if I am in a car and the driver is driving illegally.
There was a warrant for her arrest.

Period.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
There was a warrant for her arrest.

Period.
The officer did not know that at the time. You can not demand I.D. because someone might have a warrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies